Forum for kitesurfers
maui
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

What 3 to 4m Kite flies the best?

Postby maui » Sun Jun 27, 2004 7:52 pm

Give me your opinions based on actual experience please! My daughter is 13 years old and weighs 90 lbs. She rides a small twin tip board, goes upwind well, has no board leash, can relaunch her kite etc. It is very windy here so mostly she needs a good 3 to 4m kite. I am looking for a good stable medium aspect kite that is in production now-not something from the past. Most small kites are twitchy and dont really fly well so help me out with your opinions :roll:

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Postby Dwight » Sun Jun 27, 2004 9:27 pm

6m R4 is the best 6m kite. Don't know about 3 or 4m kites. 6m R4 is amazing. Must be tried to understand how good. Better than 8m R4.

zim
Medium Poster

Postby zim » Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:11 am

first of all i am 13. i have a 4 meter kite but i have only ridden it a few times and it was around 40knts. the kite i use the most is a 11meter fuel. it rides great until 20knts past that a 7.5 is great. the best 7.5 ive flown is the cabrihna nitro. it is high aspect but its easy to fly and its super stable. i think that they do make a 5.5 nitro too but i havn't flown it. DONT DO NORTH! they are probably great for bigger riders but they fly horribly in lighter winds then they are meant for. what wind strength is she riding in?

gottmoore
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gottmoore » Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:34 am

got my son, who is 8
into kiting
he weighs 80 lbs

was flying Peter Lynn ARC 630, decent kite,
but decided to get better technology
bought a Best-Yarga 5m
nice, stable kite, not too fast on 28 m lines
well behaved, no surprises - too bad its too small for me :(
tough little kite for $449 out the door- no lines or bar
needs bigger pump!

they have a 3m in the grunt
was saving that size for winter
season when its windy
havent flown it cant say, but can say
I'm happy with the choice we made

maui
Medium Poster

Postby maui » Mon Jun 28, 2004 7:02 am

Thanks for the replys guys. I have best kites myself and a yarga 5m is already on the way for my daughter. However I have found that when your small even 1m of kite size is alot. A 4m kite for a 90 lb rider is like a 8 or 9 for myself at 170 lbs. A 5m is about like me on a 10 or 11 so thats why I am searching for a good 4m. Dwight I see north makes a 4m vegas, have you ever herd anything about this kite? Also has anyone here ever tried a best grunt 3m?

balaton
Medium Poster

RRD Type 5 3sqm

Postby balaton » Mon Jun 28, 2004 7:35 am

I have been teaching little kids with an RRD Type 5 size 3 and it is really good fun, we are not affraid that they get overpowered and in stronger winds you can teach heavy guys on these kites.
Peter

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Postby Dwight » Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:56 am

maui wrote:Thanks for the replys guys. I have best kites myself and a yarga 5m is already on the way for my daughter. However I have found that when your small even 1m of kite size is alot. A 4m kite for a 90 lb rider is like a 8 or 9 for myself at 170 lbs. A 5m is about like me on a 10 or 11 so thats why I am searching for a good 4m. Dwight I see north makes a 4m vegas, have you ever herd anything about this kite? Also has anyone here ever tried a best grunt 3m?
Don't know anything about the 4m Vegas. The Buster is two line and has a 5th E like safety. Haven't seen a new Buster yet. They were late getting to production.

KiTe GrOm
Medium Poster

Postby KiTe GrOm » Wed Jun 30, 2004 8:30 am

im 13 and weigh 60kg and i used the slingshot gto 3m in about 30-35 knots but was under powered, i have never used a kite is quick it seemed way to quick. it was fun for the first few runs but got over it pretty quickly, u carnt jump with it or tricks reel good but good for learning probally. this was on a beach with cross on shore waves and really gusty so i didnt enjoy it as much as i probally would of in good conditions

larcanio
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Gear: Crazyfly Sculp 12 and 9 mts. RRD Poison 138

Re: WHAT 3 to 4m KITE FLIES THE BEST ?

Postby larcanio » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:06 pm

I'm looking for a good option for my kid, he is 8yrs old and weights about 65 lib. I'm from Argentina, we mostly kite in lagoons with light wind to medium. Something ranging from 10 - 17knots.
I was thinking on getting a 4m kite, but someone here with more experience says those small kite wont fly well on light winds and I should get a 6m instead.
What doy you guys suggest for a newcomer kid ?
Thanks

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Re: WHAT 3 to 4m KITE FLIES THE BEST ?

Postby jakemoore » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:13 pm

Boxer. Super friendly kid kite from 4m on up. I have 3 riding kids, now 13-18.

I like:

flies well in lighter winds due to light weight
superb relaunch
short bridle won't wrap a wingtip
good upwind performance but not super boosty
good immediate depower

It just works well for light and new riders to get confidence and past the fun threshold in medium winds and is lowish risk for dads to worry less.
These users thanked the author jakemoore for the post (total 2):
larcanio (Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:20 pm) • mede (Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:08 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

Return to “Kitesurfing”