Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Weight: 165 pounds
Local Beach: New Smyrna Beach, FL
Favorite Beaches: New Smyrna Beach, FL
Ponce Inlet
Apollo Beach
Style: Mostly twintip, starting foiling
Gear: Ozone Hyperlink V1 - 7m and 12m (2018)
Cabrinha Switchblade 14 (2017)
Pansh A15 - 15m
Switch x4 bar (2018)
Best Float 33 (2006), Cabrinha Prodigy 158 for light wind (2005)
Slingshot Alienair 2019 with Naish WS1 (2018)
Brand Affiliation: None

65 cm foil control bar

Postby CARMELHILL » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:27 am

Does anyone know where I can order a decent 65 cm foil kite control bar, preferably with a back stall line? I bought a PANSH A15ME + 15.0m for this spring but they recommend a 65 cm bar. I don't think my 55cm Ozone foil contact water v4 bar will be large enough to turn it. Ozone's largest is their foil free race at 62 cm. I've been looking around but haven't seen anything else unless you buy custom.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Re: 65 cm foil control bar

Postby jakemoore » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:48 am

Kite Attitude
Or custom PKS Kiss carbon bar.
These users thanked the author jakemoore for the post:
CARMELHILL (Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:52 am)
Rating: 3.03%

irwe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Keswick
Favorite Beaches: Choche
South Padre Island
Silver Rock
Bahia Salinas
Style: Allaround
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Slingshot
Spleen
Axis
Best
Shinn
TKF
ConceptAir
Zeeko

Postby irwe » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:15 am

69 cm bar from GONG kiteboarding
You need to set up your own stall line or place balls on your back lines

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:25 am

You could have gotten a bar with the kite, as it is cheaper. The pansh bar is fine, they have actually improved the bar since I got one. The chicken loop is still not the best but you can replace that. Your ozone bar should work, but a bit slower as you say.

ToeKnee
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: BluMesaRes. East end
Favorite Beaches: Air/Earth Interface
Style: Blustery
Gear: HQ, Pansh

Postby ToeKnee » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:09 am

A pulley bar really makes the 15m A15 work a lot better! Drawback of the A15s generally is that full bar throw doesn't change the pitch enough, at least in my gusty spots. A pulley bar will double the turn speed and double the effect of your bar throw. Also you won't have as much trim rope dangling when fully sheeted in.
Sounds like you want an 'off the shelf' or production bar. But i feel custom bars are so much better, especially if your arms are longer or shorter than usual. Don't know of any currently produced pulley bars.
I bury most of the bar end pulleys inside of the bar end floats (use short floats 4 or 5 ") so they don't flop around at all. And a single pulley trim system ( 2 to 1) is adequate for me. The Ozo bar you mentioned I beleive is a dual pulley (4 to 1) trimmer, this can lead to lots of trimmer rope hanging out when fully sheeted in. During pre-launch set-up and while kiting, my pulley bar seems just like my regular bars. That is, I don't even notice the extra pulleys and longer leaders which pass through the bar end pulleys and attach to the front line connection. Like Jake mentioned, parts available through PKS, you might even be able to get them to assemble a custom pulley bar for you.
Enjoy your A15, good cheap fun!

CARMELHILL
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Weight: 165 pounds
Local Beach: New Smyrna Beach, FL
Favorite Beaches: New Smyrna Beach, FL
Ponce Inlet
Apollo Beach
Style: Mostly twintip, starting foiling
Gear: Ozone Hyperlink V1 - 7m and 12m (2018)
Cabrinha Switchblade 14 (2017)
Pansh A15 - 15m
Switch x4 bar (2018)
Best Float 33 (2006), Cabrinha Prodigy 158 for light wind (2005)
Slingshot Alienair 2019 with Naish WS1 (2018)

Postby CARMELHILL » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:08 am

I looked around for a pulley bar and realized nobody sells them anymore. Am I correct that you can't use the centerline flag out safety system with a pulley bar?

ToeKnee
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: BluMesaRes. East end
Favorite Beaches: Air/Earth Interface
Style: Blustery
Gear: HQ, Pansh

Postby ToeKnee » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:43 am

Hi Carmelhill. A pulley bar will be a custom made bar. I don't think they've been produced comercially for over 10 years. Fifth line safety works fine with a pulley bar, no problem. The A15s can also be set up as single front line safety pulley bar or normal bar. I used the ozone trim pulley (not really a spinning pulley) and ball to convert my 12 m A15 to a single front line safety, (with a regular non pulley bar on the 12m, I only have the pulley bar on my 15m A15) though i still havent had to really use the front line safety on that 12m besides testing in low wind. I almost never have had to hit the primary release. But yesterday, in strong gusty conditions I hot landed my 9m A15 (regular type bar with 5th line safety) i failed to release all trim before pulling the brake strap. This caused it to fold in half chordwise while sitting on the snow as I was trying to anchor the brake strap with a ski. The kite flipped over and reverse launched itself so I released it to the 5th line safety. Today I inspected and refolded the kite. No twisted, spun or knotted bridles at all. I beleive a single frontline safety would've been a twisted mess. Probably gonna change my 12m A15 back to the original 5th line safety. Seems to be the safest option. I got dragged on the beach one time (before I swore off of LEIs) by my epic infinity with a single frontline safety as it spun in the power zone (directly downwind and just above the ground). Again, you might ask Jeff at PKS to make a pulley bar for you. But, bars (even a pulley bar) really are simple and cheap to make. One rule for making a 5th line safety - don't use a stopper ball on the 5th line (reduces tangles). Or, put the stopper ball a little more than half the kites span distance from the chicken loop.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:25 pm

There is also my mod for the kite which makes the bar throw/trim needed shorter and so turning quicker.

Return to “Foil Kites”