Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Grinding hook off spreader bar and replacing with soft ropeconnection. Anyone done this?

Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
tkaraszewski
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Hood River/Caribbean
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone/Levitaz
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Grinding hook off spreader bar and replacing with soft ropeconnection. Anyone done this?

Postby tkaraszewski » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:59 pm

I got my little Ronstan loop and test fit it here:

I think I'm just gonna leave it like that and cut the outer part of the hook off. I'm fairly satisfied with that.

GJibb
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: SW Ontario
Gear: LF/Gong/Slingshot Kites
Duotone TT/SB
Gong HF

Re: Grinding hook off spreader bar and replacing with soft ropeconnection. Anyone done this?

Postby GJibb » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:50 pm

Mine is exactly like that picture (except the hook cut off and ground down nice and smooth) but I just use a typical pig tail with a loop on both ends. The 3-4” length let’s it pivot side to side, up and down. I might shorten it just a bit this year because the bar is at the very end of my reach when all the way out. Using a 2016 Ozone Water Contact bar with the standard megatron chicken loop.
Since I started using this I have yet to ever even noticed my spreader bar pulling or twisting up or anything. The thought completely disappeared. 100% pressure is across the rear of the harness.
Won’t be going back any time soon

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:38 am

tkaraszewski wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:59 pm
I got my little Ronstan loop and test fit it here:

I think I'm just gonna leave it like that and cut the outer part of the hook off. I'm fairly satisfied with that.
I meant put your loop on the actual spreader bar, but leave the little bar on to limit the side-to-side slip.

I've had a number of Dakine hooks snap, and they're "designed" for load; I personally wouldn't trust that bar.

And if you use the spreader bar, it'll make splicing your loop easier and maybe stronger, as you can make it bigger...

tkaraszewski
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tkaraszewski » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:49 pm

Kamikuza wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:38 am
I meant put your loop on the actual spreader bar, but leave the little bar on to limit the side-to-side slip.

I've had a number of Dakine hooks snap, and they're "designed" for load; I personally wouldn't trust that bar.

And if you use the spreader bar, it'll make splicing your loop easier and maybe stronger, as you can make it bigger...
I get what you mean. Doing it this way fits nicely with the stock cover for the bar. You could cut the part between the hook off and wrap the line under that, and yeah,you could make a longer loop. If I'd broken a bunch of Dakine hooks I'd probably worry about it too, but I haven't seen that problem.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:29 am

Can but try

tkaraszewski
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tkaraszewski » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:52 am

Kamikuza wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:29 am
Can but try
Lots of reports on the internet of dakine spreader bar hooks breaking in like 2010-2015, not much since then, though. Maybe they're better now? I'll think about it.

Edit: the hooks were breaking, not the chicken loops they attach too.
Last edited by tkaraszewski on Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:30 am

tkaraszewski wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:52 am
Kamikuza wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:29 am
Can but try
Lots of reports on the internet of dakine chicken loops breaking in like 2010-2015, not much since then, though. Maybe they're better now? I'll think about it.
Those are the years of ones that I had break...I still travel with a spare if I'm going to a place without a shop.

RichR2
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: Airush Ultra 10m, 8m
Airush Wave 6m
Solo 4,5m
Shinn K2 foil
125cm RR custom

Postby RichR2 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:23 pm

This is the set up I've been using for foiling. Two ropes in case one wears but after a year of use, no signs of wear. Great for toeside riding as body isn't twisted round by the hook.
Attachments
20200125_151111.jpg
20200125_151226.jpg
20200125_151137.jpg

tkaraszewski
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tkaraszewski » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:37 pm

I may still add a backup rope, but this is what I have for now.

tkaraszewski
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tkaraszewski » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:46 am

So I tried out the above setup and it worked, but it does this really annoying thing where the loop sticks on one side of the bar, and then slips all at once and slams into the opposite end. It does it with enough force that it sounds like something has broken.

So I spliced together an longer loop and used geokite's suggestion of a Prusik knot:

I'll try that next time it's windy.

Return to “Gear Builders”