Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Levitaz Cruizer fastners

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.
Brand Affiliation: None

Levitaz Cruizer fastners

Postby Herman » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:42 pm

I am told the Levitaz Cruizer is supplied with Loctite LB8065 and this has been mentioned in review video's. Also in my research I have heard mention that the fastners may loosen in use.

LB8065 is in fact an anti seize paste and not a thread locker. I sense there may be some Chinese whispers knocking around on this subject.

Can anybody out there with actual experience of the Cruizer please comment on the performance of the fasteners!

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Re: Levitaz Cruizer fastners

Postby evan » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:15 pm

Levitaz uses a stainless steel fuselage, stainless steel on stainless steel can cold weld itself together over time. Hence the need for anti seize paste when you keep the foil assembled for more than a single session. But it is advised to always use it for easy (dis)assembly.

It is different from corrosion preventing paste used on the aluminum foils. Here you can get galvanic corrosion when the stainless steel bolts or carbon wings come in direct contact with the aluminum mast or fuselage.

The difference between the two pastes is that anti seize paste preventing the same metals from contacting each other while the anti corrosion paste is electricly insulating two different metals. Most anti seize pastes are conducting, so not advised to use them on aluminum foils!

I also highly advise to change all bolts to torx. Way more chance to get your stuck bolts undone without the need to drill them out!
These users thanked the author evan for the post:
Herman (Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:09 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Tony
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 80 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Foil
Gear: Delta HA Foils 1280,1050,850,700
Airush Nitros and Duotone Slicks
Appletree Jazz
Bunch of other gear I need to sell

Postby Tony » Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:09 pm

Herman wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:42 pm
I am told the Levitaz Cruizer is supplied with Loctite LB8065 and this has been mentioned in review video's. Also in my research I have heard mention that the fastners may loosen in use.

LB8065 is in fact an anti seize paste and not a thread locker. I sense there may be some Chinese whispers knocking around on this subject.

Can anybody out there with actual experience of the Cruizer please comment on the performance of the fasteners!
Yes, you get the Loctite with the foil. I had the cruizer and used the loctite. There were never any issues with fasteners loosening.
These users thanked the author Tony for the post:
Herman (Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:09 pm)

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:39 pm

Hi Herman,
I use Cruizer and other Levitaz wings since they exist, about 100 times a year and 10% in salt water, jumping a lot and change or open wings screws every 1 - 10th sessions.

Since 3 years since I use torx screws and a torque spanner I have no problems with loosening or hard to loose screws.

I use a troque of 6,5 Nm for all wings also the Cruizer at a body weight of 63 kg. If you are heavier I would go higher up to 8 or maybe 9 Nm
Levitaz says in his manual!
https://levitaz.com/uploads/download/Le ... 7_2018.pdf

"Tighten all four screws M6x20 to 9±1 Nm tightening torque with the Levitaz mounting tool."

I would not go up or over 9 Nm, but I use the following technique:
Tighten all screws to your personal level (6,5 - 8 Nm) then load foil being upside down both wing halfs in the middle assymetric with well about half of your body weight (same how it happens while riding when ventilating one wing side).
Then you will be able to turn the screws with same torque another about 20° and there from my experience they will stay for the next 1 - 10 sessions till you try to open which should be easy without high wear.

And no never used any paste on my Levitaz foils.
But if you have once ridden arround with loose screws the screws or even the fuselage threat can be damaged so in any case first buy new high quality screws and if they start to loosen it can be a damaged fuselage threat.
In this case you could try to build 23 mm long screws as this shouldn't be to long, but you have to check this yourself!
These users thanked the author Horst Sergio for the post:
Herman (Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:12 pm)

Herman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Herman » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:12 pm

Thanks for all the good info, has answered all my questions and more. They look like a very well engineered piece of kit.

Regards Herman

jaros
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jaros » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:18 pm

Horst Sergio wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:39 pm
Hi Herman,
I use Cruizer and other Levitaz wings since they exist, about 100 times a year and 10% in salt water, jumping a lot and change or open wings screws every 1 - 10th sessions.

Since 3 years since I use torx screws and a torque spanner I have no problems with loosening or hard to loose screws.

I use a troque of 6,5 Nm for all wings also the Cruizer at a body weight of 63 kg. If you are heavier I would go higher up to 8 or maybe 9 Nm
Levitaz says in his manual!
https://levitaz.com/uploads/download/Le ... 7_2018.pdf

"Tighten all four screws M6x20 to 9±1 Nm tightening torque with the Levitaz mounting tool."

I would not go up or over 9 Nm, but I use the following technique:
Tighten all screws to your personal level (6,5 - 8 Nm) then load foil being upside down both wing halfs in the middle assymetric with well about half of your body weight (same how it happens while riding when ventilating one wing side).
Then you will be able to turn the screws with same torque another about 20° and there from my experience they will stay for the next 1 - 10 sessions till you try to open which should be easy without high wear.

And no never used any paste on my Levitaz foils.
But if you have once ridden arround with loose screws the screws or even the fuselage threat can be damaged so in any case first buy new high quality screws and if they start to loosen it can be a damaged fuselage threat.
In this case you could try to build 23 mm long screws as this shouldn't be to long, but you have to check this yourself!
What kind of a torque spanner are you using? Thanks!

Herman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Herman » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:05 pm

Jaros

If you are going to follow Horst Sergio's excellent advice it should not matter what torque spanner you use as 9Nm is always 9Nm, and there are plenty of torque wrenches with a standard drive.

However, you should bare in mind how the fastner is lubricated. You will achieve more strain with a greased bolt than a dry bolt, therefore the lubricated bolt will be under greater tension than the dry bolt for the same torque.

An extreme example would be a steel bolt being designed to be torqued down dry to 80% of its tensile strength, the bolt may well fail at the same torque if it were lubricated with molybdemum disulfide grease.

Regards Herman

PS It will only need to be a small torque wrench with appropriate range. Tip to avoid overtighting; use a short spanner or hold a long spanner near the nut being driven. Small spanners are short for a reason..........

jaros
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jaros » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:30 am

Herman wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:05 pm
Jaros

If you are going to follow Horst Sergio's excellent advice it should not matter what torque spanner you use as 9Nm is always 9Nm, and there are plenty of torque wrenches with a standard drive.

However, you should bare in mind how the fastner is lubricated. You will achieve more strain with a greased bolt than a dry bolt, therefore the lubricated bolt will be under greater tension than the dry bolt for the same torque.

An extreme example would be a steel bolt being designed to be torqued down dry to 80% of its tensile strength, the bolt may well fail at the same torque if it were lubricated with molybdemum disulfide grease.

Regards Herman

PS It will only need to be a small torque wrench with appropriate range. Tip to avoid overtighting; use a short spanner or hold a long spanner near the nut being driven. Small spanners are short for a reason..........
Hi Herman,
I know there are many torque wrenches available. I am looking for some more "beach friendly" solution if there is one. :o
Greetings,
Jaros

Herman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Herman » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:20 am

Jaros

Please accept my apologies, I wrote the above as if I was talking to a completely green beginner, I can be dumb that way! I have since seen some of your posts and realise that is far from the case. Again my apologies!

Regards Herman

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:18 pm

jaros wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:18 pm
What kind of a torque spanner are you using? Thanks!
Hi jaros,
I have one with the form of a big screw driver, this has the advantage that it is easier to screw straight and so to have less wear on the screws head. But don't remember name but it is not higest quality anyway but I try to not bring it to close to sand and salt.

A friend has a maybe pretty old one for his Levitaz with the form of a ratchet spanner but very small and without any moving parts, but not sure if stainless.
As far as seen it is made of a flexible lever you bend and a fixed needle that showes on a small scale more or less how much torque you have one the lever.

Could be the tool for the beach you are looking for.

Return to “Hydrofoil”