Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Aluula? New Revolutionary Material from Ocean Rodeo

Forum for kitesurfers
kitelife
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Favorite Beaches: Secret Spots with iKitesurf meters.
Style: Surf and Foil
Gear: slingshot, north/duotone

Re: Aluula ? New Revolutionary Material from Ocean Rodeo

Postby kitelife » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:05 am

Strekke wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:54 am
From what I understand is that the kites are significantly lighter, and can be pumped up harder and have a stiffer frame. This supposedly leads to extremely responsive/fast steering behaviour, to the extent that the designers and to redesign the sub 10 kite sizes to slow them down because they were too nervous...
Think I’ll wait a few years until they get their kite designs tailored for this alula. Especially if it’s priced twice as much as other new kites.

leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Foiling around
Gear: KauperXT 11M Falcon
Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m / HL Crave 8m/6m
Slingshot ghost 4M
Sabfoil 1350L,633,699,671/ 83-103 kraken mast / Groove Skate L + Radical / Sabfoil T35
Lieuwe Shotgun
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby leeuwen » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:56 am

Strekke wrote:
If you now have an Alula 11 or 12m kite that is as fast and responsive as a normal 9m kite, you could potentially be having a kite that feels like a 9m but has the power of a 12m kite, so then you would be sending and looping it hard and fast in 16 knots instead of 22+ knots. I personally would love to have a kite like that, because imo everything bigger than a 9/10m is just too slow and dull.
I think that the current lineup/focus of Ocean Rodeo also reflects this:
The aluula kites available are the Flite, which only comes in 12, 14.5 and 17m, and the Roam foil/wave kites where the extra drift should make it shine.
Spending an extra 1k $ to make riding a 12m+ kite really fun will be worth the money to a group of people for sure.

Marginally improving a 9m (for non-foilers/wave riders) probably will have less appeal and probably needs some re-designs first to get enough of an improvement to warrant the extra price.

I would certainly love to get my hands on a 12m or larger flite to see how that responds compared to my current kites.

Si_B
Medium Poster

Postby Si_B » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:05 am

But I thought a lot of kites this year were being designed to allow them to twist to help responsiveness and yet this material is claiming to make the frame stiffer? Something just doesn’t add up.

Be good to demo one once they are in UK, but I’m not convinced you will get a 12m kite as responsive as a current 9m just through use of materials.

Simon

EastCC
Medium Poster
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo - Australia

Postby EastCC » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:49 am

Si_B wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:05 am
But I thought a lot of kites this year were being designed to allow them to twist to help responsiveness and yet this material is claiming to make the frame stiffer? Something just doesn’t add up.

Be good to demo one once they are in UK, but I’m not convinced you will get a 12m kite as responsive as a current 9m just through use of materials.

Simon
The Aluula 10m Roam turns easily as quick as the standard 8m Roam, which is no slouch either, so......

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Flysurfer Sonic 3 13
Shinn Bronq 136x42, Shinn Bronq XL

Postby pmaggie » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:13 am

In my home spot the standard wind is something in between a 12 and a 15, so maybe the 12 Flite is perfect. I would spend 1k more if I'm going to have one only kite, at the moment I need both the 12 and the 15, so the amount of money needed is higher than buying a single very expensive sail.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:54 am

OzBungy wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:07 am
longwhitecloud wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:58 am
This obsession with gear is ridiculous, when can kiteforum get back to actual riding instead of being a kind of gossip sewing circle.

Out of 1000, this is how much this material will effect your riding > > > You will be poorer.

i have ridden a cloud (lighter than these) - super light, standard materials, and not excessively expensive.

Irony. Complaining about the obsession with gear, then praising a brand that has marketing practices similar to a cult.

I don't need any discussion about riding. I am perfectly happy with what I do and how I am progressing. I do need to hear about new gear, what it does for us and whether it lives up to the promises.

I would prefer to hear from people who have actually used the stuff and taken the time to understand it. It's easy enough to skip over the posts from the armchair experts.
I have ridden but don't own a cloud and I don't know the guy that makes them, but one thing i know is this is a kiter run and funded business. That is awesome.

As for cult, i saw on the website they want to know you before they sell to you...

Hardly surprising, we live in an easy cut and paste world today and what better way to reduce the chances of cut and paste than reducing the chances of selling to a competitor. Good on them I say.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:24 pm

kitelife wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:05 am
Strekke wrote:
From what I understand is that the kites are significantly lighter, and can be pumped up harder and have a stiffer frame. This supposedly leads to extremely responsive/fast steering behaviour, to the extent that the designers and to redesign the sub 10 kite sizes to slow them down because they were too nervous...
Think I’ll wait a few years until they get their kite designs tailored for this alula. Especially if it’s priced twice as much as other new kites.
Check.

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:23 pm

Si_B wrote:

Simon
This has me intrigued also.

Having owned the best nemesis hp series of kites with the cuben fiber leading edge I am confused by the claim.

The kites were responsive, that is they would react quickly to input but the v1 full cf le kite had a large turning radius. Kite loops were crazy.

It wasn’t until v3 where the tips were Dacron and Kevlar flex patches were added that you could get a reasonable turning radius.

So yes, my understanding is torsional flex is what allows the kite to pivot turn. Look at a cloud kite and what it can do.

That to me is the mystery here.

And I have yet to see any good video of the kite flying. It appears that as soon as you get the kite the wind dies?

Greenturtle
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Presque Isle, Erie PA
Favorite Beaches: Bahamian Cays
Gear: Edge 19, Flite 17, 14.5, 12, 10, 8, Cloud 13.4, 10.4, 8, 6.2, 3.7
Tons of boards for water, land, and snow

Postby Greenturtle » Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:16 pm

I think if you want to see what the difference might be like then add weights equal to the difference aluula makes to the LE of your current kite for half a session then take them off and try it again. If you like it better with the weights removed then aluula might be for you...

cor
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: -

Postby cor » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:12 pm

Si_B wrote:
Well it does because simply, they will probably sacrifice turning radius. But Allowing a Kite to twist does not help responsiveness at all. Where did you get that from?

There are two completely different characteristics:
-Responsiveness (improved by direct line connections and stiffer frames)
-Tight turning radius (improved by either allowing the frame to twist, e.g. bei making frame tips and struts thinner at the end or by changing the profile to something more C-shaped)

My understanding is that it is impossible to improve both at the very same time without changing the profile (which again comes with a sacrifice of other characteristics)
Si_B wrote:
I’m not convinced you will get a 12m kite as responsive as a current 9m just through use of materials.
Simon
I am convinced that this is possible. But I am not convinced that a 12m Aluula will turn just as tight as the same 9m kite with traditional materials. Could be quite the opposite actually as the frame will not allow that much twist anymore.

Return to “Kitesurfing”