Soul kite repair

For all foil kite riders
Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Re: Soul kite repair

Postby Trent hink » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:52 pm

JakeFarley wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:48 pm
I am in need of repairs to my 12m Soul. Tear along seam on leading edge next to center intake. I believe it is out of warranty as I am the second owner. I've reached out to Flysurfer for recommendations on where to repair. Would prefer somewhere locally (Tampa Bay area) if possible. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

20200126_160417.jpg
For a complex repair, send it to Tim Elverson at Windfire Designs.

I believe he is in Tallahassee. I haven't used his services for a very long time, but he once re-attached the entire wing tip on my speed 1.

Beautiful work, color matched so almost invisible, and the kite flew perfectly when i got it back. Prices back then were very reasonable.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby foilholio » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:06 am

Foil kites while being more complex to repair can all be repaired on a home sized sewing machine. It is often quicker and easier to open the cell seam on a straight section away from internal straps and nearest the damage to repair. Closing the cell seam is quite easy and much easier than opening and closing the TE like on flysurfers which have a covered and annoying seam.

You can do repairs by just covering the inside with a repair strip with double sided tape, usually about an inch wide. You stitch the outer edge of the strip with a single run of 3 leg zigzag and then the tear itself with 2 runs, trying to crisscross them.

Small repairs are fine to glue a patch on the inside. E6000 or contact adhesive work well.

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 92kg
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990

Postby JakeFarley » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:23 pm

It's on its way to Tim at Windfire Designs in Gainesville, Florida. My local shop said it was a bit too complex of a repair for them perform and guarantee. I'll post the result when I get the kite back in about 2 weeks.

Ice101
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Free ride want to branch into strapless riding and more freestyle

Postby Ice101 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:31 am

Did the kite hit leading edge down and chamber explode? Had 9m and 10m souls both do that after they fell out the sky while turning and fell off the board and one following a sudden momentary loss of wind. Luckily mine were only weeks old and replaced on warranty.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:50 am

It is sad a good solution to that hasn't been found yet. Pansh's seems the closest. It's a huge weakness on small foils.

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 92kg
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990

Postby JakeFarley » Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:46 am

Ice101 wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:31 am
Did the kite hit leading edge down and chamber explode? Had 9m and 10m souls both do that after they fell out the sky while turning and fell off the board and one following a sudden momentary loss of wind. Luckily mine were only weeks old and replaced on warranty.
No hard impact. Just caught a tree during a senior moment. Most of the damage was to my ego. First time in 19 years I hurt a kite, hopefully the last.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:16 pm

Ice101 wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:31 am
Interesting.

If remember well, the advert vids were all about crashing a >=12m on LE ;)

Something must give away...

flying grandpa
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Siemiany,
Favorite Beaches: Stegna, Orle, Karwia
Style: hydrofoil long distance, slalom, waves
Gear: ZEEKO, Takuma, Sonic, Kestrel
Brand Affiliation: NONE

Postby flying grandpa » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:19 pm

foilholio wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:50 am
It is sad a good solution to that hasn't been found yet. Pansh's seems the closest. It's a huge weakness on small foils.
Just yesterday I crashed 8m Soul leading edge quite heavily. Both air outlets opened and maybe that saved my kite. Managed to relounch quickly pulling back lines and safely sailed ashore to close the outlets.
Maybe put velcro straps a bit aside when closing air outlets to weaken their hold and that will resolve our problem?

Tadeusz

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:30 pm

Also paraglider repair shops are able and willing to repair foil kites.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:13 am

I think the rear velcros will work but they need to be thin so they open easier and maybe have more on the TE.

Return to “Foil Kites”