PrfctChaos
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Perth
Style: Wave
Gear: Peak4's, Chrono V3, Skimboards, foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Monofoil or "riding stabless", setup and riding

Postby PrfctChaos » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:05 pm

I did something similar. Added this, call it a "beavertail", onto the end of the mono fusilage. Thin flat carbon piece, to help add a bit of extra luff stability (cant feel the extra drag). Basically training wheel so that i can get footswitches sorted on the mono.
Screenshot_20200201-190001_Gallery.jpg
These users thanked the author PrfctChaos for the post (total 3):
a99 (Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:47 pm) • Horst Sergio (Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:41 pm) • foilfun (Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:34 am)
Rating: 9.09%

a99
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: North, SabMoses, Flysurfer, Liquid Force, Blade, Xenon.

Postby a99 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:48 pm

PrfctChaos wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:05 pm
I did something similar. Added this, call it a "beavertail", onto the end of the mono fusilage. Thin flat carbon piece, to help add a bit of extra luff stability (cant feel the extra drag). Basically training wheel so that i can get footswitches sorted on the mono.
Screenshot_20200201-190001_Gallery.jpg
On that brand mast it's placed ?

PrfctChaos
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Perth
Style: Wave
Gear: Peak4's, Chrono V3, Skimboards, foils

Postby PrfctChaos » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:07 pm

Thats a slingshot.

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:08 pm

PrfctChaos wrote:
I did something similar. Added this, call it a "beavertail", onto the end of the mono fusilage. ...
Well, even if I think the shape of a beaver tail primarly fulfills the demand to fit into beavers home :wink: and not to move fast or with low drag ...
PrfctChaos wrote:
Basically training wheel so that i can get footswitches sorted on the mono. ...
... in this mean I can definitely support it. :wink:
As having a convertible Mono to Stabifoil myself I also switched inbetween a lot, I also think this is something that could become interesting as entrance door for many or as said for training foot switch. And also not sure if it will be better with an extra part of elongated fuselage or just keeping short fuselage as also foilfun has done it, even if having lower performance in the short fuselage version.

@vol:
liked your first draft more as on a mono you always have that short fuselage end you have to reduce diameter to zero and why not by adding a tiny short stabi as your fist draft.
I think even if your wider span has the potential to have lower drag than a low AR beaver tail, when having it fixed even with a short fuselage it keeps all disadvantages of a stabi foil, what it is. Or is it your goal to cut the stabi down step by step?

Monofoiling to me has never been to build a short fuselage stabifoil which is more difficult to ride than a normal long one while keeping most other disadvantages.
Monofoiling to me very first is low drag of a pure single wing and the rest of the advantages, as feel of a pure free flying wing unblocked by a stabi, just comes on top.

I once said a monofoil diserves a cripple bonus when talking about boosting hight.

Apart from boosting today I would say:
It is stabifoils that feel like walking with a cane, blocking free natural movement and most of the abilities of a pure single wing.

My prediction for 2020 ..
.. time is ready and I see many foilers cutting of their stabis liberating their foils. :D
These users thanked the author Horst Sergio for the post:
a99 (Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:16 am)
Rating: 3.03%

a99
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: North, SabMoses, Flysurfer, Liquid Force, Blade, Xenon.

Postby a99 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:43 pm

Thanks Horst for nice thoughts. I can't understand why progressive brands as Moses don't releasing already fuselages with cutted stabilizator side, as for monofoil? But at least why they not releasing single monofoil new type wing where front and rear wings molded to single and this plate you mounting directly on mast (as in vol picture) ? I really think lot of moses fans will buy such wings just for new impressions.
I will have doubts- cut my onda fuselage or buy new and cut it:)? Dont think that some master can make cheaper it at local fabric. I asked some my locals they asked at least 120 euro for it, and still no clear if they can make all wing shape and mount geometry of insert such precisely with cnc from original fuselage. Than only one way buy new for twice expensive and cut it ?

Maybe somene have idea and possibility to make for less than 100 euro such monofoil fuselages for Onda wing ? I think there will be really quite big success for sales in Europe.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:55 am

1400 sq cm monofoil.

These users thanked the author ronnie for the post (total 2):
Horst Sergio (Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:45 pm) • foilfun (Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:34 am)
Rating: 6.06%

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:57 pm

@ronnie: Nice, where ever in the far www you always grub out those pictures. :thumb:

@a99
Honour to moses for being one of the first serious producing hydrofoils brand but I would not call them very progressive. But I agree for many as for Moses it wouldn't be to much effort to start building monofuselages at least at a bit lower prices then normal ones and with the nice 633 wing they already would have a nice combo. On the other hand I think demand is still to low for the big brands to start, but no more doupts we will reach that point earlier or later.
Till then I would expext some with extra moses stuff in their garage will start to cut some old fuselages. When you do it like me with the Gong it should also be possible to build a convertible one, which is nice for beginning and travel.

foilfun
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Hefner, Oklahoma City
Favorite Beaches: SPI, Texas
Style: kite foiling, surfboard, winging
Gear: LP, DT, Cab, NP, Fanatic, Takuma

Postby foilfun » Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:32 am

Horst, I've noticed that when kiting and using my medium NP surf wing as a mono, the board releases sooner from the water than when it's a stubby. Have you noticed that easier release when using a wing and a larger monofoil?

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:33 pm

Hope to understand your question right:
My impression is that there are 3 benefits and 1 disadvantage when trying to take of not too much difference if being powered by a kite or wing, you indeed may feel more with the bigger wings for sure:

+ lower resistance of the mono in general
+ higher lift so earlyer takeoff, similar to a bigger wing, but in combination with lower resistance instead higher, due to no down force of back wing
+ more agility pitch movement: Easier to splash the board against surface back and forward to release from surface and additionally the advantage to rise straight with a high angle when getting an impulse from kite / wing, but then when impulse is lost to imediately stop climbing, but going horizontal to keep impulse

- You can pump with a mono but especially on a wing and being in the less controlled starting phase it will be more effective to pump with force and the controlling help of a stabi. Pumping with mono just needs too much fine movement and a bit of a way to get into the rhythm when already flying

But in total starting profits significantly from a mono, which means you can take of earlier or use a smaller board. Maybe overall effect on kite is higher than on wing, but one reason why I also on the wing switched to mono.
These users thanked the author Horst Sergio for the post:
foilfun (Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:30 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Gurval
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Basket countrie
Style: Wild and disruptif
Gear: Prototypes

Postby Gurval » Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:01 pm

Horst Sergio wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:57 pm
@ronnie: Nice, where ever in the far www you always grub out those pictures. :thumb:
That's images of the new prototype from my instagram
:rollgrin:

Return to “Hydrofoil”