Blackened
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Style: Big Air, Airstyle
Gear: 2020 Rebels
23/24 Orbits

Re: The craziness is underway in Cape Town

Postby Blackened » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:05 am

Thanks for turning on the wind when I got here. Yesterday was pretty epic. The wind is a special amount of powerful. It's nothing like I've experienced across 5 continents. 25kn and I'm almost overpowered on my 8m. Jumping is just stupid easy. I actually struggled to do anything less than 10m. "Oh, I'll just pop over this 2m wave - oh god damnit." It had massive push as well. A 15m jump would send me 50m downwind. Guys on the beach were saying it was a bit more pushy than lofty yesterday, so a little scared for when it turns lofty. It was a bit weird having to make sure it was clear -upwind- on every close tack to the beach. If there were people in front of you or there were no good kickers, it was fine, but if you were in the clear space, you're liable to get landed on.

Also, I've never seen better kickers in my life. Beautiful clean ramps everywhere. Guys on the beach were saying the water conditions were a bit choppy and crap, but I've never seen better ramps in my life. Would've preferred more of the 1m variety to get used to the wind a bit more, but a couple of the double overheads were fun :).
These users thanked the author Blackened for the post:
jj83 (Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:30 am)
Rating: 3.03%

jj83
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Gear: CORE XR6 8/9/10/13.5
Sensor 2S Pro Bar 22+24m lines
Ozone Torque V1 138x42
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby jj83 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:39 am

Everyone says the same about the wind down here being unique. Wednesday was good 8m wind for boosting - most of the guys on the top of the Woo leaderboard were on 8s. I did a 4-hour session on the 9m but was pretty exhausted holding down the power towards the end. Today and tomorrow look similar in Blouberg. Went to Platboom yesterday and kited in the most intense 4-5m waves/mountains I've ever been in. The sound and reverberation of the wave crashing behind you and amount of whitewater was impressive!

Blackened
Very Frequent Poster
23/24 Orbits

Postby Blackened » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:45 am

Few people out on 9's. They looked a bit juiced, but mostly 7/8s.

Quite jealous of platboom. I said we should bloody head down there, but ended up at a couple wineries (not bad, but didn't kite yesterday). Gagging for a good session this afternoon. Currently it's being a bit wonky, but hopefully the forecast holds true. Will head down to Dolphin today to try to stay away from the crowds at the event site.

dracop
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Naska Beach - Kanaha - Maui, HI USA
Waipuliani Park - Kihei - Maui, HI USA
South Point - Hawaii, HI USA
A-Bay - Hawaii, HI USA
Favorite Beaches: _
Kanaha - Maui, HI
Kihei - Maui, HI
South Point - Hawaii Island
Kite Beach - Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Tableview - Cape Town, South Africa
Style: Big Air :D
Gear: 2022 Dice 10m/12m SLS, 2022 Rebel SLS 12m, 2022 15m Aluula Juice
2017 Core Choice 2 142, 2020 Duotone Jaime Textreme, 2014 Best Breeze 145,
Brand Affiliation: The Maui Kitesurf Company
www.mauikitesurf.com

Postby dracop » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:04 pm

I will prob hit Platboom this weekend as forecast looks stronger down there than here. If you would like to tag along, msg me asap and we can meet in Tableview somewhere tonight to coordinate. Split the costs 50/50

Are there people on the water right now (Friday 3pm Cape Town time)?

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:25 am

Great to hear you are enjoying Cape Town, Blackened, presumably first time here. I believe they may try to run first couple of rounds of KOTA today if the SEaster fills in, but the forecasts are not in full agreement. We spent the week in Kruger National Park, awesome time, but missed Wednesday and Friday (for the record Friday is below and would have been a good KOTA day).
Screen Shot 2020-02-01 at 11.20.56 AM.png
These users thanked the author Hugh2 for the post:
Blackened (Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:50 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:17 pm

As forecast it was a little cloudy today and the direction was full south and not that strong, but fine for me on 9m. Having not ridden in a week I stayed out way too long, riding in place at Kite Beach from 1:30 to 6:30. They tried to run the first heat of the KOTA around then when the wind had turned SE, but called it off and instead most of the Round 1 riders, who were all set up and ready to go on the beach, put on a show till sunset and beyond. I was most impressed with Airton Cozzelino, who did not land the first bunch of jumps he did, but then started landing amazing jumps. It will obviously be very difficult to score him compared with TT riders, but he is very impressive. I'm hurting tonight!
Screen Shot 2020-02-01 at 9.11.39 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-02-01 at 9.11.39 PM.png (92.76 KiB) Viewed 946 times

Blackened
Very Frequent Poster
23/24 Orbits

Postby Blackened » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:49 pm

dracop wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:04 pm
I will prob hit Platboom this weekend as forecast looks stronger down there than here. If you would like to tag along, msg me asap and we can meet in Tableview somewhere tonight to coordinate. Split the costs 50/50

Are there people on the water right now (Friday 3pm Cape Town time)?
Sorry, we lost electricity last night and didn't check this morning. We headed down first thing for a shitty session at Platboom. Wind was all over the place. We left early, so hopefully you got some good time on the water. When we looked it up, it only listed the local price of 80 rand and not the "foreigner" cost of 320. Quite annoying. Overheard a few tourists saying the same thing in the parking area.

Came back for the no-show KOTA, then went out kiting from about 6pm. Was great not having 5000 people on the water and you could actually jump. Little light, but still fun.

Blackened
Very Frequent Poster
23/24 Orbits

Postby Blackened » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:06 pm

Hugh2 wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:25 am
Great to hear you are enjoying Cape Town, Blackened, presumably first time here. I believe they may try to run first couple of rounds of KOTA today if the SEaster fills in, but the forecasts are not in full agreement. We spent the week in Kruger National Park, awesome time, but missed Wednesday and Friday (for the record Friday is below and would have been a good KOTA day).

Screen Shot 2020-02-01 at 11.20.56 AM.png
Yup, was out in it at Sunset Beach. Unfortunately, so wasn't the entirety of Capetown. Over a 90min session, I think I only had one jump I didn't abort, but it was off a shitty kicker with no speed. I was extremely unhappy. I finally gave up when some asshat, who had been doing stupid jumps way too close to people, finally collected 1 person and almost 2 more. Thankfully, I saw the impending stupid and downlooped away.

I'm a bit sad they didn't go today. Didn't come up enough as forecast. Looking good for Thursday for the KOTA start though. Might get a cheeky session in tomorrow evening as well.

maxiumum
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Wien
Gear: Bandit

Postby maxiumum » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:21 am

Hi,
we are flying to capetown next week, we will stay for 3 weeks in Langebaan and Blouberg beach. I´m still not sure which wetsuit to bring: 5/4 frontzip or 4/3 backzip overknee. What would you recommend?

Thanks Andreas

zloilyoha
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Skadovsk
Favorite Beaches: Karzhyny Skadovsk, Cape Town SA
Style: free
Gear: slingshot, ozone, core

Postby zloilyoha » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:35 am

maxiumum wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:21 am
Hi,
we are flying to capetown next week, we will stay for 3 weeks in Langebaan and Blouberg beach. I´m still not sure which wetsuit to bring: 5/4 frontzip or 4/3 backzip overknee. What would you recommend?

Thanks Andreas
Your 4/3 will be enough

Return to “Kitesurfing”