For all foil kite riders
Ice101
Medium Poster
Gear: Free ride want to branch into strapless riding and more freestyle
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Heli loop tips?

Postby Ice101 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:04 am

Tried a heli loop for the first time on my 8m soul today. About 22knots. Small jump. Pulled hard and kept it on. Kite flung me forwards and straight into the water head first. Now got a perforated ear dream. Awesome!
See people doing these easily and can’t seem to master them. What am I doing wrong please? Have watched all the you tube videos etc. Can down loop the kite in transitions no problems at all. So not sure why this happened?

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Re: Heli loop tips?

Postby foilholio » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:35 am

I usually let the kite fly past me overhead a bit then pull the bar hard. You just need to focus on the timing.
Last edited by foilholio on Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

Herman
Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:07 pm

Difficult to access a kites looping character from downloop gybes imho. Personally I would use waterstarts to familiarise myself with a kites looping character. See how small you can make them in different parts of the window, both down and kite loop. Have a bit of backstall trimmed in to make them as pivoty as possible. Sadly I have never flown a Soul, but if they need a leader line pull to make them pivot they would not be my choice for learning heliloops. Obviously start with low power and build. If you have already done this apologies for the wasted ink!

Regards Herman

jannik
Medium Poster

Postby jannik » Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:28 pm

To Heli loop you need to have the kite at the edge of the window. Your small jump didn't allow the kite to fly close enough to the edge so you looped it too deep in the power zone.

Spend some time making downloop turns until you are fully comfortable with them on both tacks. Then go for a nice high jump. Aim to get the kite at 12 or a little behind you. On the decent notice the kite getting close to edge as you swing under it. Now you can go for the Heli loop. Your can wait as long as you like and you don't need to have the loop completed when you land. Make an effort to point the board downwind.

jannik
Medium Poster

Postby jannik » Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:34 pm

Btw. The reason you can do them in transitions is that you get the kite close to the edge already by take off by edging hard upwind and stearing the kite slower.

juanpasala
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Calima
Favorite Beaches: Calima
Cabo de la Vela
San Andres
Style: Freeride / Foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot 8-10 / Soul 10-15 / Sonic Race 11-15
Crazyfly Raptor LTD / Cogua - Levitaz Bionic

Postby juanpasala » Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:34 pm

Souls tend to be a little bit slower than normal LEI kites, what I generally do is position the kite a little bit to the side before doing the heliloop (eg. If i am looping to the right, then i try to have my kite positioned at 11 o clock before starting the downloop, and if I am looping to the left then i ll position the kite at 1 o clock), so the kite will turn above you and not in front of you, this works for me on sizes 8-15 with no major problems.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:42 pm

Sounds a bit like you pulled the loop on the way up before the apex of the jump instead of after it on the way down?

cor
Frequent Poster
Gear: -

Postby cor » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:36 am

Ice101 wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:04 am
Tried a heli loop for the first time on my 8m soul today. About 22knots. Small jump. Pulled hard and kept it on. Kite flung me forwards and straight into the water head first. Now got a perforated ear dream. Awesome!
See people doing these easily and can’t seem to master them. What am I doing wrong please? Have watched all the you tube videos etc. Can down loop the kite in transitions no problems at all. So not sure why this happened?
Timing determines the biggest portion of the strength and direction of the loop. Unfortunately you missed to let us know when exactly you pulled the loop and that is also why no one here can help you. Also, the Soul is not the best kite for learning loops. It is too slow.

PS I own a Soul, too, and it is the kite that I use most of the time. But for looping I use a LEI (Any will do but preferably Open C shape) as they are way more forgiving.

Ice101
Medium Poster
Gear: Free ride want to branch into strapless riding and more freestyle

Postby Ice101 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:00 pm

Thanks for the replies.
Was on my way down from a jump when i pulled the bar.

Herman
Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:23 pm

jannik wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:34 pm
Btw. The reason you can do them in transitions is that you get the kite close to the edge already by take off by edging hard upwind and stearing the kite slower.
As jannik says. And might be worth reviewing how you check the send. In transition you are probably looking backwards and sending and checking the kite with it facing aft to kill your forward speed. This puts the kite in a good position for a downloop heliloop. When you jump going forward you probably send the kite back and naturally turn it back forward as you sheet in and check the send. (May not even realise you are doing this!) This puts the kite in a crap position for a downloop heliloop.

You can lie back and study that in the waterstart position as well, as it is easier to use your eyes in this position rather than sort it out in the heat of battle jumping off ramps.

Regards Herman

PS If you jump high enough it will not matter how you check the send because you will have time to preposition the kite on the way down.

Return to “Foil Kites”