Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Gear: F One Trust
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

2020 Duotone Evo for beginners?

Postby Crop Duster » Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:27 am

I'm looking at the Duotone Evo for my girlfriend and I. We are new to kiteboarding and looking to get our own gear. When we took lessons we used the Duotone Neo and after lessons we borrowed someone's gear and it was a quiver of F One Trust kites. We are interested in the Evo to get us going and I want to make sure this is the right choice for us. It seems like everytime I talk to someone about this they have some other recommendation. So that may happen here as well.... We don't want to grow out of the kites too soon and it doesn't look like that will happen with the Evo. I am 190lbs and she is 160lbs and we're looking at going with the 14m, 12m, 10m, and 8m (this is just off their recommendation via the online calculator they have). I appreciate everyone's input and hopefully this does not make me more confused.

Kees
Medium Poster
Weight: 200lbs
Local Beach: Panama City beach, Fl
Style: Freeride
Gear: Lieuwe shotgun, lite wave wing, LF overdrive, pivot, core xr6

Re: 2020 Duotone Evo for beginners?

Postby Kees » Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:49 am

Cant go wrong with your choice, both kite model and sizes will work and should be fine for all stages beginner, intermediate and advanced! Make sure you get 2 bars! I like the clickbar but their trustbar should work fine (cheaper)
Crop Duster wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:27 am
I'm looking at the Duotone Evo for my girlfriend and I. We are new to kiteboarding and looking to get our own gear. When we took lessons we used the Duotone Neo and after lessons we borrowed someone's gear and it was a quiver of F One Trust kites. We are interested in the Evo to get us going and I want to make sure this is the right choice for us. It seems like everytime I talk to someone about this they have some other recommendation. So that may happen here as well.... We don't want to grow out of the kites too soon and it doesn't look like that will happen with the Evo. I am 190lbs and she is 160lbs and we're looking at going with the 14m, 12m, 10m, and 8m (this is just off their recommendation via the online calculator they have). I appreciate everyone's input and hopefully this does not make me more confused.

rleshem
Medium Poster

Postby rleshem » Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:07 am

You will not outgrow the Evo.
Not sure you will need a 14m right away.
I am 185 and use 8 10 12 quiver. If the wind is below 14-15 knots I don’t go. It depends on your wind conditions though.

Blackened
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Style: Big Air, Airstyle
Gear: 2020 Rebels
23/24 Orbits

Postby Blackened » Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:31 am

Evo is a great entry kite that can progress you into just about anything. It's extremely forgiving, so once you start learning more advanced stuff like looping, it won't smack you badly.

Depending on water, wind conditions and board size, you may not need the 14m as rleshem mentioned. Otherwise, what you've selected looks good. I'm 210lbs and can ride the 12m down to 16kn.

Exal
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 85
Local Beach: Still looking
Favorite Beaches: WA & Cape Town
Style: Wave & Oldschool
Gear: all the gear and no idea

Postby Exal » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:43 am

I would probably rather go with 7, 9, 12 Evo and 15m Juice since an 8m kite can be hard to hold down for 160lbs, even for you probably at first when out in 30 knots, and the 14m evo is just very slow and there are better light wind options. You guys sound pretty into it, already planning to buy that much gear, awesome! Enjoy :thumb:

HALF
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 94
Gear: 15m FS Soul2, 12m Reedin Supermodel, 9m Cabrinha Radar, 9m Flysurfer Speed5, 14m Airush Ultra v2
Airush Switch 144, Naish Monarch 138, Naish Monarch 136, Airush Slayer v2

Postby HALF » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:15 am

Don't get so many kites at first. Check what are the most used sizes in your area and get one for you and one 2m smaller for your GF.
As for the models the Evo is an all round kite, so it will do anything you want it to, and there is not "outgrowing" a kite, in 3-4 years you will know better what your style is, and then can get a more specialized kite.

Crop Duster
Rare Poster
Gear: F One Trust
Been thanked: 0

Postby Crop Duster » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:09 pm

Thanks for all the replies, it's very helpful. We spent a month in La Ventana back in November where we learned to kiteboard. At that time we did not need anything smaller than a 9m and consistently used a 12m and 13m (we had a 2012 North Rebel 12m that we used almost everyday for the first half of the trip and after a couple weeks on that we were able to barrow 11m and 13m F One Trust kites). I think our main kiting spots will be La Ventana and South Padre.

Return to “Kitesurfing”