Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Flysurfer Peak 4

For all foil kite riders
tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby tomtom » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:58 am

I was surprised how stable and solid 13 was and turning speed was also good /for size/. It looks like they make peak4 V.2. not just scaled 11m. Anyway that sea state doesnt look marginal and im conviced that i can ride it with my 9m kitech - see photo. Thats 8-10. There is even white ripples on your photo - thats not 6-9. In my photo wind ripples looks bigger - but thats from more zoom.
Attachments
_MR13893.jpg

haiku
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Latina beach Italy and...Naish beach Maui
Favorite Beaches: Latina, Porto Pollo - Italy , Kitebeach. Kihei - Maui
Style: old and new school
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic FR, Speed, Boost, Cronix, Naish Pivot, Flysurfer Radical 5, Door 5, Kazuma custom wave boards

Postby haiku » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:08 pm

Hi. Based on the anemometer data the wind was blowing on shore from 6 to 9 Knots. The ripples were determined by a strong cross current. I think I can easily ride with the 13 m and a high lift foil in 5/8 Knots or even less. Time will tell.

Cheers

Carlo

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Adventure Logs » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:21 pm

tomtom wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:58 am
I was surprised how stable and solid 13 was and turning speed was also good /for size/. It looks like they make peak4 V.2. not just scaled 11m.
That wouldn’t surprise me, flysurfer has done that in the past when the release a new size mid run. How it was when they released a 21m first time. Seems like the designed it more for low end and hydrofoil perhaps. Very encouraging.

drsurf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: NSW South Coast
Gear: Too much too describe
Brand Affiliation: Whatever I sell

Postby drsurf » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:40 pm

Forgive me for posting this everywhere the subject of Peak4 kites comes up. But in case you only read this thread ... paste ↓

OK, I managed to get my partner to shoot some very ordinary video of me on the 5m Peak4 in 4 to 9 knots.
I really need to find someone who can video kitesurfing around here. A drone would be good but there are military airspace restrictions where we kite :(

So as you can see in the video the wind is quite light. If you look at the beginning where the windmeter is being held, you'll see in the distance, lower right just above the hand, a Peak4 5m kite flying while the reading is taking place. The guy on this kite weighs approx 85kg and is comfortably foiling on a Naish Large foil in this light wind. The rest of the video is myself at 65kg on an Axis 110cm Tray board and Moses 679 (990 sq cm) foil.

Now there can be arguments as to whether the wind is stronger higher up or offshore. In my experience on this day I tried to go as close to the shore as the foil and swimmers in the water would allow and only went out about 100m and the wind varied very little. Likewise flying the kite high or low didn't show much difference in the wind speed.
There are many variables with regard to wind quality as well. Some say a colder wind has more power. In this video it was a warm day approx 28°C with a water temp. of approx 24°C. However the wind is a seabreeze which is generated both by the position of a high pressure system offshore and the heat of the land mass behind the shore sucking in cooler ocean air. These seabreezes are consistent and don't have lulls of no wind. The wind is cross onshore with a long fetch, so there are no obstacles to make the wind turbulent. So it's a good location with good steady wind. Probably the best quality wind on the east coast of Australia.

I find that if the kite can lift me out of the water then I'll be up on the foil with a couple of sines of the kite. I don't think you need a huge wing, just big enough for the wind of the day. I have dropped the size of my front wing temporarily from 1250 sq cm to 990 sq cm and the effect on getting up and foiling was insignificant. (Moses wings are very efficient). However I could fly the larger foil a couple of knots less in speed on the water before it stopped foiling.
And small kites, especially Peak4's are fun. Even if the wind did drop to virtually nothing you can still fly them and drag back to shore. Something which would not be possible with an LEI kite or comparable twin skin kites.

One caveat in all this discussion. One or two knots difference in light wind can be the difference between foiling and flailing around in the water. Under 10 knots every knot matters and consistency is king. A one or two knot additional gust may be what gets you out of the water and onto the foil where apparent wind takes over. I also have an 8m Peak4 which comes out when the gusts barely reach 8 knots. Even though the 8m only adds 2-4 knots to the bottom end of your range there are enough days where this is the difference between getting up on the foil or not. It's been said that the Peak4 kites are not so much a light wind kite but are the best kites in light wind! Get your head around that :D
These users thanked the author drsurf for the post:
andrzej351 (Tue May 12, 2020 7:17 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:43 pm

Dr you should underpromis and overdeliver. Not other way around. Based on this video i can imagine where these bold windspeed claims came from.

And dont get me wrong i have nothing against peaks they are briliant kites
These users thanked the author tomtom for the post:
jakemoore (Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:06 pm)

a99
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: North, SabMoses, Flysurfer, Liquid Force, Blade, Xenon.

Postby a99 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:48 pm

those cheap wind meters don't show real wind. From visual side what is possible to decide from surroundings i think there was 9 knots at least. No way that he can ride on 5m on 6 knots :) 5m peak power is as 8m lei, so how he can ride on 6 knots even no pumping at all kite ? i

F-Bear
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: SpaceBall Beach
Favorite Beaches: OBX
Gear: Kites: Switch Element V3 9m, Switch Nitro V4 14m, Best Waroo 17m, Airush DNA 13m, Pansh A15 12m with Jackomixer, Genesis 6m with Jakomixer, Flysurfer Peak4 5m
Boards: Lightwave Wing, Slingshot Wakefoiler with H2 wing
Bars: Mash-up (favorite is older Airush with ozone trimmer, Switch CL, custom lines), older Switch with ozone trimmer and modified quick release so it actually works.

Postby F-Bear » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:24 pm

Thanks to all for the advice on kite size, I really do appreciate it ! For what it is worth, it is hard to post a specific wind speed for my local area, which is why I posted all the facts instead. The wind is frustrating...for example the forecast today is 10g20 knots, but as I look outside it is flat right now. when they say 10g20 it really means 2g20 !!!

I will probably start with a 5m, excellent advice. It may not get me down to the lowest possible wind, but my skill level on the hydrofoil and the kite is not sufficient for that extreme anyway. If the 8m is survivable with our gusts then maybe I'll get one of those in the future too.

Special thanks to Jatem, your peak 4 tips post is wonderful and very helpful to folk like me.

And holy crap....the post by drsurf in 4-9 kts on a 5m with a guy who is 85kg???? SERIOUSLY ?? That is very inspiring. BTW, can I move to Australia ??? The beach is wonderful... So much room, sand, steady wind.....awesome.

Thanks again all !

F-Bear

irwe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Keswick
Favorite Beaches: Choche
South Padre Island
Silver Rock
Bahia Salinas
Style: Allaround
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Slingshot
Spleen
Axis
Best
Shinn
TKF
ConceptAir
Zeeko

Postby irwe » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:48 pm

Agree with a99, Easy 9 kts, range estimate 7 - 11 kts. It's still great to see a 5 m flying in those conditions

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:26 pm

No more - i give up
These users thanked the author tomtom for the post:
Trent hink (Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:50 pm)

dave1986
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 85kg
Local Beach: Llangennith
Style: Twintip & hydrofoil
Gear: Naish Pivots 6m, 7m, 9m
Naish Boxer 12m
Ozone Chrono V4 13m

Postby dave1986 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:41 pm

dave1986 wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:28 am
The below wind range table is taken from Flysurfer website Can someone please update this chart with typical wind range for a 85kg intermediate hydrofoil rider?

I dont want to know the theoretical low end/top end for a professional rider, but the realistic low end/top end for the average 85kg rider on a surf hydrofoil (e.g. Moses 633 or similar).
SmartSelect_20200205-052350_Chrome.jpg
Can anyone answer my question?

Return to “Foil Kites”