Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

What is more dangerous, racing motorcycles or kitesurfing?

Forum for kitesurfers
TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: What is more dangerous, racing motorcycles or kitesurfing?

Postby TheJoe » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:16 am

downunder wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:16 am
Fatalities number are related to conditions and choices at that time.

If they all crashed into the water, they would probably all survive. They would be no alive PPG pilots if they all crashed into the rock. But many crashed on top of the trees, including myself.

So I survived. No kiter was eaten by the shark yet.
I tell people it's as safe as you make it.

As for the shark there was one guy in Florida a few years ago that died from a shark(S) attack.
https://www.palmbeachpost.com/article/2 ... /812037923

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:45 am

I think kiting is becoming much less deadly with the increasing popularity of foiling. Many might disagree, but don't confuse injuries with death. You might get more injuries foiling but I submit that the risk of dying is less. It comes down to kite power that is used and when foiling, you simply deal with significantly less kite power. When you read about kite related deaths, consider what the outcome would have been if the rider was using a much, much smaller kite. The rider might still have been lofted but maybe not slammed into something hard. Or there might still have been a death spiral, but not violent enough to drown someone. Smaller kite=less deaths.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:29 pm

Hardly a comparison.

No foiler goes out on 35+ knots. The exceptions are just that.

No foiler does mega loops. And the list goes on...

People who got bitten by the shark would be beaten anyway if surfed in that area.

Smaller kites=more deaths simply coz we go on higher wind.

Smaller kite loops like crazy, if not controlled its a death zone. My buddy died with 7m on 30-35kn.

Hardly anyone died mowing a lawn on 15kn. Many deaths were health related, would die anyway, dunno, driving a car.

UKSurf
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Coast of UK
Gear: Liquid Force impulse Foil, Slingshot SST Wave

Postby UKSurf » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:46 pm

I would say kitesurfing is safe in lighter winds force 4 and under (similar risk to cycling), moderately dangerous in force 5 to low 6 (scuba diving levels of risk) and in 25 knots plus is in the same danger league as paragliding and hangliding (from my limited experience of these sports). King of the air type events are extremely dangerous encouraging riders to take very high risks and probably similar to extreme motor sports, as seen with the nearly fatal accident of lewis crathern

Beardytello
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Isle of Man
Gear: North / Spleene / Ozone / CrazyFly / Mystic

Postby Beardytello » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:57 pm

I've thought a lot recently about "risk" and taking risks.

Having had a few close-ish calls kiting and more recently buying another motorbike.

The risk question raises itself noticeably I think when you have children.

My question to myself has always been...

Do I owe it to them to wrap myself in cotton wool so I can have the best possible chance of staying around to raise them? The caveat to this is I guarantee I'd be miserable.

Or

Should I be my authentic self, take the risks I'm willing to accept (risk vs reward) and be a happier person...does happier person = better dad?

I don't have any answers, all I know is I've chosen option b, I have good life insurance, I minimise the risks as much as possible, I tell everyone I love them every morning and I have a big beaming smile for my family when I take my helmet off walking through the door.

As with all things this is just my opinion, and opinions are like arse holes!

BernieTomic1
Frequent Poster
Gear: XR 5
Neo
Cabrinha Secret weapon
Cabrinha Spade
Epic Droid
F-ONE Trax HRD
Been thanked: 0

Postby BernieTomic1 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:51 pm

downunder wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:29 pm
My buddy died with 7m on 30-35kn.
I am sorry to read that.
Would you mind telling more about the circumstances?
Death loop?

SWO_kite
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Belle River, Ontario, Canada
Favorite Beaches: Yes
Style: Foil/Freeride/Big air
Gear: 11m Reedin SM V2, 8m & 6m SS Raptor
128 Shinn Sunburner + 75 AL-mast + K wing
140 Best Spark, 133 Cabrinha Caliber

Postby SWO_kite » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:12 pm

I think racing motorcycles is arguably safer than street riding. Controlled environment vs unpredictable human error.

That said, I both kiteboard and ride a motorcycle. I place restrictions on myself for both activities - but more so on the motorcycle. As an example, on the motorcycle I never drink and ride I try to avoid riding at night at ALL COSTS and wear all the gear all the time (no matter how hot it is outside). For the kite, when riding alone, I keep jumping and risky maneuvering to a minimum.

All things considered, I definitely feel safer out in the water with my kite any day of the week. Less rules, more space and far fewer morons ready to kill me at any turn.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:36 pm

I’m my observation, accidents are way less serious in kitesurfing compared to skis or bike riding. Of course you can get a heart attack on water, of course you can freeze to death in near-freezing water temps - but cleaning almost nonexistent data on accidents from such extremes is near impossible and statistics on junk data are meaningless.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:10 am

BernieTomic1 wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:51 pm
downunder wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:29 pm
My buddy died with 7m on 30-35kn.
I am sorry to read that.
Would you mind telling more about the circumstances?
Death loop?
About the conditions on that beach on 30-40kn you can read here:

https://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Kit ... nd-of-wind

And this is the beach:

https://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Kit ... l/Coldshot

Seabreeze does no keep older posts than 5 years and I'll PDF this as a remind. Anyways, you guys need to understand that one person tried to hold his body while the 7m kite was looping. Mark already lost conciseness due to head butted the sand when tripped on landing.

He could not hold, and Mark died dragged 50-70m through that beach breaking every single bone on his chest and neck. That is a 7m kite!
It was absolute nightmare for everyone involved and people needed counseling.

I do not ride any more on 30-40kn. Some people do though.

D.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:13 am

Jazuz, why was his kite still looping?

I did a while on super short lines in 35+ .. it is an option that seems to have been forgotten... short enough so the kite cannot easily loop if at all. I think 6 8 and 10m lines.. I can't fully remember.. I think I tried them All.. it was great for wave riding and when it absolutely nuked a bit more chilled?! :-0

I am sure there is $hit that can still go wrong tho..

I have ridden for years in rediculous wind but at spots with huge beaches free of anything and dunes behind. We once had 2 kiters tangled together kitelooping, that huge buffer zone saved their asses.

It takes a bit of getting use to but far from the comments " that will never work" it does.

Return to “Kitesurfing”