Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Huge board, huge wing, small kite

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Huge board, huge wing, small kite

Postby tomtom » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:31 pm

And at the end you can see that kite is even flapping so its depowered. This 12 knots at least.

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:36 pm

kit3surfer wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:06 pm
But anyway, thanks for the clip. Could you upload some more, especially from the kite flying characteristics (turning radius and drifting). That would be great because I didn't find any of these clips online...
About Peak4 :o

here you go:
viewtopic.php?f=197&t=2401224

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=peak4 :wink:
These users thanked the author Horst Sergio for the post:
grigorib (Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:25 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby foilholio » Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:32 am

I would love to see videos of the peak wave riding, with drifting and slack lines. Flysurfer has a rider that can do strapless tricks, send him off somewhere to make some videos!

tomtom wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:25 pm
Wind was also stronger on water not only higher up. People should have basic wind estimation skills. If there are white caps its 10 knts+ teritory
White caps start at about 7knots. You can get a variance though depending on how long and how strong the wind has been, what the swell is doing too. It is perfectly possible to have a short lull of no wind and then still have white caps. You will obviously feel this at the kite and the water can start to show signs of it.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:02 am

16 knots as far as I recall for white caps

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:20 am

No way they start at 16knots in the open sea. Maybe on a lake or wind shadowed location.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:47 am

No way they start at 7 :)

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:27 pm

Except they were documented to start at 7 knots before your father's father's father's father's father's father was born. I.e. there is some history to this observation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaufort_scale look at number 3. 7-10knots
Large wavelets; crests begin to break; foam of glassy appearance; perhaps scattered white horses

drsurf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: NSW South Coast
Gear: Too much too describe
Brand Affiliation: Whatever I sell

Postby drsurf » Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:57 pm

tomtom wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:47 am
No way they start at 7 :)
According to the scale used to determine when whitecaps start they do start at 7 knots https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaufort_scale (Oops,post posting edit: I see someone has just posted this)

However I think the "how low can you go without someone disagreeing" has become a bit of a pissing contest. :argue: I have been to places where I have measured the wind strength and there are plenty of knots on the windmeter and whitecaps on the water. However when you take the kite out the wind is gutless and you can't get going on the board at all :(

As I mentioned in my post, the place where I and all the other locals kite, the wind is most of the time a cross onshore seabreeze, very smooth and easy to kite in, regardless of your type of kite, board or foil. The beach is approximately 1km long and the land behind this beach is relatively flat with a mix of one and two storey dwellings. We kite at the northern end of the beach where the good wind occurs. However go 100m south or further and the wind weakens progressively and can become more gusty. This occurs for a substantial distance offshore as well. So I'm doing my testing where the wind is about as perfect as you can get, stands to reason my results may not tally with others experience.

However I do have a commercial interest in Peak4 kites and curious people ask will it do this or that, show me a video of light wind, kite turning, wave riding etc. Hence my post with the video, you can read it for what is is. My most common answer is buy the damn thing! Peak4 kites are half the price of inflatables and one third the price of a good twin skin foil kite which I also sell. There are so many positive posts about the Peak4 and you'll rarely find one secondhand, you just can't lose by buying and trying one if you use a surf foil. (If you also kite with a landboard or snowkite you have absolutely no excuse for not having a Peak4) :D

I suppose what I should have shown in the light wind Peak4 pissing contest was the collection of inflatable kites behind me, up to 17m in size waiting for the wind to pick up. Granted many were TT kiters who just need more wind anyway, but some are foilers who although they may get going on their foils, one mistake and/or a lull and their inflatable kite would be in the water, waiting for a gust to hopefully get it flying again. I'd have to say the Peak4 had made me unconcerned about lulls and lightwind where I fall off, as the Peak4 is easy to keep airborne and even if the wind dies to the extent it can't pull me up on the foilboard, it can still quickly pull me to shore. And always remember, never kite out further than you are prepared to swim!

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:30 pm

Ha haa, really interesting in fact, the "low end pissing contest" is one thing, nothing new about that, but the whitecaps topic is another.

And drsurf is correct, very stable seabreeze winds can have loads of power, compared to more "cheasy" wind.

Wont comment on the "how low can you go", but whitecaps :D

In my experience:

Whitecaps starts in miniature to be seen widespread and very rare, in 8-10 knots.

In 14 knots it is what we call just covered with whitecaps (meaning all over and quite okay wind).
In Danish we call this "Kattepoter" which translated means "Cat Paws".

BUT, the visual around 8-10 knots depends hugely on the sun too, as if sunny, you can see these glimpses of whitecaps a lot earlier and be tricked into thinking there is wind, maybe even in 7 knots yes, where there isnt wind.
And opposite, if overcast, a bit more wind is needed till it looks like rare whitecaps.

The very water surface can also influence how early/late whitecaps start, so if it HAS been windy t.ex, and less wind now, there can easily be lots of whitecaps from the water "tops", cresting in less wind than usual now.
Besides shear wind (wind layers), wind gradient, and turbulent wind of course.

Meaning, in my experience on open sea during the last +40 years, whitecaps depending on conditions and how you define it, can be in the range 7 to 15 knots depending on sun and sea state and how covered you want them.
But they most often start in 9-10 knots here.

Current does not change whitecaps, as we ride in the same water as the surface, so wind has to be measured/felt relative to the water of course, not land.
As this determines how early we can start :naughty:

8) Peter

Return to “Hydrofoil”