Soul kite repair

For all foil kite riders
Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Re: Soul kite repair

Postby Trent hink » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:01 am

Older flysurfers had blow-out vents that used a semi-rigid plastic strip to keep them closed during normal operation.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby downunder » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:09 am

Hmm,

Would Opening a "vent" require inside sleeve to somehow perfectly align and is not folded?

I do not understand this.

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:42 pm

JakeFarley wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:48 pm
I am in need of repairs to my 12m Soul. Tear along seam on leading edge next to center intake. I believe it is out of warranty as I am the second owner. I've reached out to Flysurfer for recommendations on where to repair. Would prefer somewhere locally (Tampa Bay area) if possible. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

20200126_160417.jpg
That is not an easy damage to repair. It is close to LE and intake vent and some of the material is torn so it has to be patched before repair. This means undoing the seams in damaged area. Usually fabric tears along the seam so there isn't any more fabric left there.

To make repair possible TE seam must be opened as well, and of course closed finally.

I can't help more but to remind not to except repair work to be cheap, there is some work to be done if decently repaired.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:14 pm

If the cell walls have holes, it is not necessary to open the TE and instead just open a plain straight seam near the repair.

flying grandpa
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Siemiany,
Favorite Beaches: Stegna, Orle, Karwia
Style: hydrofoil long distance, slalom, waves
Gear: ZEEKO, Takuma, Sonic, Kestrel
Brand Affiliation: NONE

Postby flying grandpa » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:00 am

Trent hink wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:01 am
Older flysurfers had blow-out vents that used a semi-rigid plastic strip to keep them closed during normal operation.
That’s interesting.
One vent against each air inlet would do the job.
And no need to close the vents after crash.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:32 pm

Except they didn't work.

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:16 pm

foilholio wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:14 pm
If the cell walls have holes, it is not necessary to open the TE and instead just open a plain straight seam near the repair.
But how do you close that "straight seam" when repair is done? Using cell wall holes is a bit suspicious, it can be a challenge to pull all that material (incl. LE stiffeners) through. It may be possible if holes are big and located suitably for the damage.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:06 pm

You pull it through the holes to close it. You open the seam further back from the LE, on a simple section with no internal structure, no bridle attachments etc, but near to the repair so it is easy to do the repair. It one makes the repair quicker because you have close access, and too closing the seam is very easy. I have never repaired a kite with stiffeners but accessing a seam away from the LE shouldn't be too hard with them I would think. Yes it does depend on the holes, you go through the nearest LE intake, go side ways through the largest hole, then up or down the cell. You can do this through surprisingly small holes though.

You can open the seam through the damage hole or just outside, but caution needs to be taken if you can't see the internal structure. Most internal structure is within 5-10cm of a bridle attachment point. Even with that knowledge you may want to confirm things internally though, as closing those complicated seams can be tricky. The bridle attachments are the worst, I have done quite a few of them. Some seams are stitched back onto the cell wall which you don't want either, as closing them is very hard.

I am sure you are aware of the difficulties in sewing kites kitexpert, so don't take all that as directed at you.

Ice101
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Free ride want to branch into strapless riding and more freestyle

Postby Ice101 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:25 pm

flying grandpa wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:19 pm
foilholio wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:50 am
It is sad a good solution to that hasn't been found yet. Pansh's seems the closest. It's a huge weakness on small foils.
Just yesterday I crashed 8m Soul leading edge quite heavily. Both air outlets opened and maybe that saved my kite. Managed to relounch quickly pulling back lines and safely sailed ashore to close the outlets.
Maybe put velcro straps a bit aside when closing air outlets to weaken their hold and that will resolve our problem?

Tadeusz
I thought I got away with it on mine relaunched fine and flew on for about 20 mins not having realised the chamber had blown. Did you look down the air intakes on the leading edge. That’s how I noticed the chamber was shredded on the inside and out seam also gone down the centre. Lucky I looked down the intake vent when packing up.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:39 pm

The shape should look deformed, puffy. You can also pull the top and bottom skins apart from the outside.

Return to “Foil Kites”