Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Who are the foilers?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Who are the foilers?

Postby grigorib » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:32 pm

I saw on average 2-3 folks wingfoiling in La Ventana and noticed couple of windsurf foilers too.

One of the smart thing I heard from an instructor there - “I teach folks to foil. What they’re going to use a foil with - their own business”

wheat
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Local Beach: Clinton Lake, Lawrence, Kansas
Style: Foil
Gear: 5.5m Cloud, 8m SST, 12m Gong Strutless, 633 Moses, 91cm Mast

Postby wheat » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:09 pm

Grigorib, How was your LV trip? I just got back from LV as well. I appreciate your contributions to the forum. I have learned a lot. Thank you.
I was riding there Jan. 15th-Feb 6th.

1/2 the time I was out of Baja Joe's. 1/2 the time out of Rasta.
I witnessed packs of windsurf foilers tearing it up out of the campground. They truly seemed dialed. Some were riding the swell very well.
The foil racers are training hard for a couple winter months and were awesome to meet.
Some people were getting the wing foiling and riding some swell.
Lots more local kite foilers out of Rasta. Many more than last year.
On the light wind days, it was exposition to see what setups worked. I saw SS ghosts, Airrush Ultras, Flysurfer Souls. The racers were out in almost no-wind.
I was excited that my Strutless 12m Gong and 633 moses got me going in those low conditions.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:11 pm

wheat wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:09 pm
Grigorib, How was your LV trip? I just got back from LV as well. I appreciate your contributions to the forum. I have learned a lot. Thank you.
I was riding there Jan. 15th-Feb 6th.

1/2 the time I was out of Baja Joe's. 1/2 the time out of Rasta.
I witnessed packs of windsurf foilers tearing it up out of the campground. They truly seemed dialed. Some were riding the swell very well.
The foil racers are training hard for a couple winter months and were awesome to meet.
Some people were getting the wing foiling and riding some swell.
Lots more local kite foilers out of Rasta. Many more than last year.
On the light wind days, it was exposition to see what setups worked. I saw SS ghosts, Airrush Ultras, Flysurfer Souls. The racers were out in almost no-wind.
I was excited that my Strutless 12m Gong and 633 moses got me going in those low conditions.
La Ventana is a great place to foil and if I wasn’t so consumed by foiling I’d had probably assembled my brand new twintip which I took there and along other 3 guys from the group, we didn’t ride twintips once on 2020 trip. To me lightwind days turned La Ventana into foilworld :)
Well, then there are also stronger days and those are quite twintippable. But for those days there are 4m and smaller kites too.

After a week at Pelican Reef we stayed 1/26-1/29 a tad north of Rasta beach and we probably have crossed paths on water. It’s a small planet we’re on

Here’s our guy short video he posted last night
These users thanked the author grigorib for the post (total 2):
Peter_Frank (Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:25 am) • wheat (Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:10 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

wheat
Rare Poster

Postby wheat » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:22 pm

grigorib wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:11 pm

La Ventana is a great place to foil and if I wasn’t so consumed by foiling I’d had probably assembled my brand new twintip which I took there and along other 3 guys from the group, we didn’t ride twintips once on 2020 trip. To me lightwind days turned La Ventana into foilworld :)
Awesome to share the water with another Midwest foiler. Clinton Lake, Kansas is my home lake.
Your crew made Rasta beach look great. Awesome video. Thanks for sharing. I wish I was there right now.
Is your group also out of Illinois?
My twin tip was, also, brought but not assembled.
The Rasta beach section of your trip was a rocking couple of days. I went upwind to the Rasta neighborhood most of those days and was on a cloud 5.5

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster

Postby grigorib » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:27 pm

wheat wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:22 pm
grigorib wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:11 pm

Awesome to share the water with another Midwest foiler. Clinton Lake, Kansas is my home lake.
Your crew made Rasta beach look great. Awesome video. Thanks for sharing. I wish I was there right now.
Is your group also out of Illinois?
My twin tip was, also, brought but not assembled.
The Rasta beach section of your trip was a rocking couple of days. I went upwind to the Rasta neighborhood most of those days and was on a cloud 5.5
Illinois/Indiana/Wisconsin and folks from Alaska and Oregon
These users thanked the author grigorib for the post:
wheat (Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:58 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:40 am

Ton's of foilers today in LV, more than twintip. Where's the best swell here? I was at Playa Central today and honestly wasn't that impressed. Is it better up north or south? Thanks

toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Olbrich, Governor Nelson, Tenney, Burrows and McDaniels.
Favorite Beaches: Olbrich on SW and McDaniels on a SSW.
Sheboygan when it blows hard on a NE.
Style: Waves, Twin tip and Foilboards.
Gear: Whatever is available.
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Core, Armstrong, Axis, NP Surf, Ride engine, Mystic. www.kiteridersllc.com
Has thanked: 0

Postby toyletbowl » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:01 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:15 pm
SENDIT! wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:15 pm
Peter, one of the things that you are missing here is that what Bob is telling you (and so am I), is that we KNOW that Wakefoils are outselling the others. Not anecdotally from what we SEE, but from what the sales figures show in the industry. I have also never seen anyone wake foiling, but...it's damn sure happening!

Of course, globally I believe that they are outselling, both wakeboards and wakefoils, but I did not question that at all.

I say that this is not the case in EVERY location/country.

I rarely see a wakeboarder here, not talking about wakefoilers, but even a normal wakeboarder is not a thing that is really done much here, as I am just next to the sea and harbours on flat days too.

As said, there will be a few lakes (but we dont have many, and motorboats usually not allowed) where it is done, and done as a small sport too here and there, or in the 4 cableparks we got.

Sailing (keelboats/yachting/dinghys/catamarans/trimarans/windsurf/kitesurf with or without foils) is by far a major big sport around here.
I would estimate the same for New Zealand, dont know, just guessing :wink:

Looking at the numbers in Denmark from a year ago:

6 to 7 % of the full danish population are sailors, 350000 to 400000 are sailing (and yes, in some vessels there can be more than one, I know).
It seems, estimated from the wake/waterski club members and associations in Denmark, that wakeboarders+waterskiers are only in total 0.2 % of the population, roughly only 3 % of the number of active sailors, that is very low, compared.

Even if the numbers are not fully correct, they are still lightyears apart from each other in terms of "how many", in Denmark, that was my point - that one can not generalize for all countries, based on worldwide sales :D

8) Peter
Sorry....I don't spend a lot of time on kite forum. Forgot this thread was even going.

We are actually on the same page and have been from the start. My intent was NOT to say all countries have more who wake foil or who will wake foil.

The intent was to say that worldwide, wake foiling WILL most likely dwarf kite foiling when it's all said and done if it hasn't already........BUT every country has their own stats that are unique to them.

Denmark and many many other countries for sure are bigger with kite foiling, but that doesn't mean wake foiling isn't bigger worldwide.
I hardly ever see anyone wake foiling in the US, but that doesn't mean it's not happening.

My interest as a dealer is very high with the wake crowd and I'm a kite dealer only. Word of mouth only so far with the wake crowd, but it's growing.

Good discussion no matter what and sounds like Denmark should be on my visit list.

Respect to you Peter. You usually have good info to share and thanks for the input.

Want to talk E-foil? I can talk for hours and days. haha.

Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:13 pm

There u go,

One year after this thread started, zero increase in foiling at my local. And my jumps and dark slides only got better ;)

TT and SB rules at my local with aprox 1700 kiters.

Totaly depends on location.

mr_daruman
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Okinawa beaches
Favorite Beaches: Mauritius
New Caledonia
Canaries
Style: Surfkite
Gear: Switch
Ozone
Wainman Hawaii
Brand Affiliation: Jimmy Lewis, Infinity
Has thanked: 0

Postby mr_daruman » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:10 pm

At our area nearly all wing foilers around dont kitesurf/kitefoil. Nearly all of them are either surfers , windsufers and especially SUPers.
Some of the foils they used are so huge, they can ride just pumping the board without even a wing *nearly no wind...that was quite interesting to watch. Now these guys a quite fit and very thin and probably dont weight more than 60kg.

wheat
Rare Poster

Postby wheat » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:10 pm

Adventure Logs wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:40 am
Ton's of foilers today in LV, more than twintip. Where's the best swell here? I was at Playa Central today and honestly wasn't that impressed. Is it better up north or south? Thanks
For swell, I liked south and out twice as far as the shrimp boats. I thought that it really depended on the day. The second day of a norte would be better when the wind had been blowing all night down the Sea of Cortez. A couple days had waves crashing in the morning, those were good. If the wind was up at 10a, that was a better swell day. I am back home and didn't get to ride La Ventana yesterday, so I don't know the conditions you saw. I also don't know your home conditions or places you have traveled. I could have just been excited about LV being the best place I have ridden.
These users thanked the author wheat for the post:
Adventure Logs (Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:32 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Hydrofoil”