Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

How To Heli Loop / Downloop / Landing Loop for big jumps big air | Get High with Mike

Forum for kitesurfers
TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: How To Heli Loop / Downloop / Landing Loop for big jumps big air | Get High with Mike

Postby TheJoe » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:02 pm

Herman wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:13 am
Great tutorial of the real deal! Obviously the further you swing under the kite the more room you have to do an open loop near the vertical axis, the video even talks about sheeting out to get kite further upwind and this is just what I have been trying to experiment with of late Trouble is, I get the heebie jeebies if I feel the kite getting upwind of me - worried about getting an irrecoverable luff to Hindenburg. I have two questions:

1. Does the downward velocity from a big jump almost eradicate the risk of the kite luffing?
2. What is the best way to explore the limits of the amount of swing under that you can safely use?
If your swinging too far under the kite that means you are over flying your kite when you jump. This will all so kill your jump height. Ideally you want your kite to go no further then 10 or 2.
As long as you have your kite moving forward when you land you should not Hindenburg. I all ways heli loop my landings. 1 I like to ride fast so the back loop heli slows down my landing speed. 2 once you have them dialed it makes for the softest landings.

My jump break down is this for a basic big air.
Send it past 12. Redirect to just past 12 with front hand. Then start pulling with back hand for heli loop. Land nice and smooth.
These users thanked the author TheJoe for the post (total 5):
Herman (Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:23 pm) • Kitemenn (Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:36 pm) • Exal (Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:28 pm) • andrzej351 (Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:03 pm) • SENDIT! (Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:17 pm)
Rating: 15.15%

leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Foiling around
Gear: KauperXT 11M Falcon
Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m / HL Crave 8m/6m
Slingshot ghost 4M
Sabfoil 1350L,633,699,671/ 83-103 kraken mast / Groove Skate L + Radical / Sabfoil T35
Lieuwe Shotgun

Re: How To Heli Loop / Downloop / Landing Loop for big jumps big air | Get High with Mike

Postby leeuwen » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:43 pm

TheJoe wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:02 pm
I like to ride fast so the back loop heli slows down my landing speed. 2 once you have them dialed it makes for the softest landings.
I was wondering about this: the video talks about pulling a back (Heli) loop causing more forwards momentum then a front hand loop.
I also have the opinion that a backloop actually slows you down more then a front loop. I am still doing mediocre jumps (about 8 woo meters) so maybe this changes when you get a lot higher?

Any other experienced people who can chime in here?

cor
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: -

Postby cor » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:04 pm

@Leuuwen I was wondering that as well. I think he is not talking about forward momentum from the actual loop, but what he calls "parking" (I would actually call it positioning, not parking). Before you loop with your back hand, you have to position your kite beyond 12 again. During that move, you will gain a little bit of forward momentum.
These users thanked the author cor for the post:
leeuwen (Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:36 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:58 pm

I took it to mean that with the kiteloop you are more likely to land as the kite is producing most power in the direction you land and therefore more speed. Obviously timing the touch down with where you are in the loop is another parameter to play with!

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:05 pm

I was wondering about this: the video talks about pulling a back (Heli) loop causing more forwards momentum then a front hand loop.
I also have the opinion that a backloop actually slows . . .
The difference is with one loop you are looping in the direction you are going (less yank), and in the other case you are looping in the opposite direction (more yank). At least I think that's why it happens. There is something to be said for looping in the direction that you are already going causes you to add to the momentum of the jump, but I think maybe when you are riding towards the kite you loose enough power that in the end the back hand (kiteloop) gives you more momentum.

At the end of the day you can land feather soft looping in either direction but the back hand feels harder at least for most people. You might also find that you land softer in one direction than the other. For instance maybe your downloop going left is softer but your kiteloop going right is softer.

Get high with Mike's video is great by the way. I have always done things with timing that is I initiate my loop according to whether I am 2/3rd of the way up, at the apex, or on the way down and that fixes how the loop happens. His entire video is only about timing the loop according to when you swing under the kite so it's a really nice approach and different from what I am used to.
Last edited by edt on Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:42 pm

Blackened

Just got back in from a session having adopted the mind set that: if you've got line tension it ain't going to luff. Found it really liberating. Thanks again Blackened!

Regards Herman.

Exal
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 85
Local Beach: Still looking
Favorite Beaches: WA & Cape Town
Style: Wave & Oldschool
Gear: all the gear and no idea

Postby Exal » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:50 pm

Really interesting how he explains it with the kite over the left or right shoulder.

Front hand method: pull a little on the back hand, get the kite over your right shoulder, sheet out a bit and when under the kite sheet in and medium pull on front hand for the loop

Back hand method: put the kite over left shoulder with a front hand pull - more speed, swing under and pull on the back hand for the loop

Kiteloops: after the loop put the kite on the side of your right shoulder and pull with the front hand (?) for the heli loop

Board off: board in right hand -> put the kite over right shoulder and loop with the left hand (front hand)

I still don't really understand it, have to practice this on the water. I could only land then pulling my back hand.

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:10 pm

leeuwen wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:43 pm
TheJoe wrote:
I like to ride fast so the back loop heli slows down my landing speed. 2 once you have them dialed it makes for the softest landings.
I also have the opinion that a backloop actually slows you down more then a front loop. I am still doing mediocre jumps (about 8 woo meters) so maybe this changes when you get a lot higher?

You should not have an accelerated landing if the loop is kept high and tight. If your loop ends up being low then its going to pull downwind. I'm normally pulling with my front hand as soon as I land to keep me from sinking. The only time it pulls me is if I don't pull hard enough during the loop or mess up my trick and get lost in what I'm doing. Sometimes you just go in to do a back roll board off and find yourself inverted with a front roll and forget which hand is your front!

Kitemenn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Maasvlakte / Slufter
Gear: North Evo 11-7m / Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Kitemenn » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:38 am

leeuwen wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:43 pm
TheJoe wrote:

Depends all on timing. As Mike suggested if you pull the loop before you swing under it it will generate forward lift. The same holds if you do it somewhat later (after the swing) it will pull more backwards. I have managed to slow down some jumps with Heliloops. Also regarding backward loop if you pull it wider it can generate some forward momentum and your kite is already down, ready to go up again where you would have to change direction when you pull forward if you want to continue in the same direction

Blackened
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Style: Big Air, Airstyle
Gear: 2020 Rebels
23/24 Orbits

Postby Blackened » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:38 am

I think the easiest way of saying it is:

Kite on the left, pull with the right.
Kite on the right, pull with the left.
Kite behind, doesn't matter
Kite in front...wheeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!

I often overfly my kite to one side or the other, depending which way I want to ride away. If I'm megalooping (kite in front), then when I swing underneath, I pull either way depending on my body rotation.
These users thanked the author Blackened for the post:
andrzej351 (Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:20 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Kitesurfing”