Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

flysurfer sonic3, any news?

For all foil kite riders
Skywalker7
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sostó
Favorite Beaches: Ulcinj
Style: Freeride
Gear: I have 14 kites, covering most of the major brands.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: flysurfer sonic3, any news?

Postby Skywalker7 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:28 pm

End of 2019 I met with the Flysurfer development team in Austria at Neusidler See and had a chance to have a 1.5 hour test ride on the Sonic 3 15m.

Earlier I had experince on Speed 3s, Speed 5 and Sonic FR and Sonic 2, and one test ride on the Sonic Race but recently I am riding mostly Soul 15,12, 10 and 9.
To make the long story short it was just the best foil kite I ever flown.
Launching was very easy. The kite immediately felt more solid than a Sonic 2. I am ca 92 kg and I was launching the Sonic 3 15m in ca. 15-18 knots, so pretty ideal conditions for a twintip ride. Earlier a similar sized rider was using the Sonic 3 15m in ca. 20-25 knots.
The turning and handling of the kite felt very similar to the Sonic 2 with a bit more stability.
Since it was windy I went for a big air session. The kite definitely jumps higher than anything else I ever tried. It simply glides up in the air. The wind was going down as it was late afternoon but I was managed to jump 12.9m per the woo. The transition jumps are very funny on the Sonics as you gain height by each jump. This means that you land the jump 1-2-3 meter upwind from where you jumped. Also in the case of these low transition jumps the kite keeps in the air a lot. Two things was seriously shocking which I never thought it would be possible on the new Sonic 3. The kite felt more stable than a Sonic 2 and at the same time was also more perfomant.
I am paragliding for 25 years and I know the rule that performance and stability not used to go hand in hand and when you have already a very good design it is not easy to improve both qualities at the same time. For me this kite is a „dream come true”. I always liked the permance of the Sonics and always loved the stability and huge lift of the Soul. Now I felt that this Sonic got some stability and lift from the Souls and I have no idea how they managed to put more performance in this kite but it is definitely there. By the way I was flying the Sonic 3 on the new 50 cm Infinity bar which got the pu covered depower lines and the friction(when auto untwist) of these new rope is ca less than 1/3 of the older version (with the dynema rope) so that was a good surprise as well as that bar felt very smooth. So personally I was very much impressed.
These users thanked the author Skywalker7 for the post (total 2):
cor (Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:26 am) • malden (Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:53 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:12 am

So today at La Ventana saw a 15m Sonic 3 out and about. This was in 25kts (I was on a Peak4 3m) and the rider was boosting huge and I mean huge. On top of that it was effortless and the kite was well behaved. I would say better behaved than my Soul 15m in similar wind. Followed him in, landed the kite for him and found out it was actually the designer of the kite. Looked it over closer but sadly didn't have my camera with me.

What I noticed:
Bridle lines are all the same grey color except the Z level which was red.
Very thin lines, same as the ones of my Peak4 3m.
No LCLs.
Definitely less connection points to the wing.

After seeing how the kite preformed today and I VERY excited about getting my 11m. It was insane.
These users thanked the author Adventure Logs for the post:
malden (Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:53 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Gear: Core XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Flysurfer Sonic 3 13
Shinn Bronq 136x42, Shinn Bronq XL

Postby pmaggie » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:01 am

Yesterday I ordered a 13

juanpasala
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Calima
Favorite Beaches: Calima
San Andres
Cabo de la Vela
Style: Freeride / Foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot 10 / Soul 10 / Sonic 3 11-15
Crazyfly Raptor LTD / Cogua - Levitaz Bionic

Postby juanpasala » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:32 pm

Adventure Logs wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:12 am
So today at La Ventana saw a 15m Sonic 3 out and about. This was in 25kts (I was on a Peak4 3m) and the rider was boosting huge and I mean huge. On top of that it was effortless and the kite was well behaved. I would say better behaved than my Soul 15m in similar wind. Followed him in, landed the kite for him and found out it was actually the designer of the kite. Looked it over closer but sadly didn't have my camera with me.

What I noticed:
Bridle lines are all the same grey color except the Z level which was red.
Very thin lines, same as the ones of my Peak4 3m.
No LCLs.
Definitely less connection points to the wing.

After seeing how the kite preformed today and I VERY excited about getting my 11m. It was insane.
Any idea how i t s performing from a hydrofoil-race point of view?
I am wondering if it will have performance similar to the Sonic Race lineup, or if they ll still have a specialized Foil race kite.

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Gear: Core XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Flysurfer Sonic 3 13
Shinn Bronq 136x42, Shinn Bronq XL

Postby pmaggie » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:47 pm

As I wrote some time ago, imo FS is going to set a 3 foil kite for kitesurfing lineup: Soul for easy freeriding/foiling, Sonic for performance freeride airstyle and foiling and Sonic Race for hf racing. Easy choice for the customer, less gear to develop and advertise for FS.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Punta del Diablo, Urugay

Postby Adventure Logs » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:47 pm

FOR AIRSTYLER AND FOILER
The SONIC sets new standards as a high performance and gives you an extremely gripping flight feeling. The manifest dream of every kite expert, the balance of biting aggressiveness and fine control, equipped with FLYSURFER power that is addictive. Sporty, fast and fascinating, designed to defy the laws of physics.

The most powerful FLYSURFER product ever.
The high-performance SONIC line continues its success story and immediately unleashes pure joy with every foil kite freak. Our team has bundled their know-how from the Foil-Racing Kite VMG and the outstanding all-rounder SOUL in one product and developed a freerider of superlatives.

The fusion of both lines creates a true high performance with breathtaking hangtime and the huge, typical FLYSURFER application with a brilliant low end. The new generation has 55 cells, an aspect ratio of 6.6 - 7.2, the profile of the VMG and influences of the popular SOUL handling. Power transmission has been decisively improved by accessable and controllable performance with excellent depower. The SONIC has made the biggest step in terms of safety and has a significantly better start and restart behavior, an optimized bilge system and increased stability in the limit area. To complete the package, the SONIC receives all the longevity features of a FLYSURFER Foil-Kite, starting with PMA's, through the Long Mixer Test, the LCL's,

The SONIC is the jumping machine for the medium wind range and the ultimate hydrofoil kite for high-performance enthusiasts, a grandiose hangtime kite for aerialists and everyone who always wanted to be on the water when friends heat up the crickets.

FAQ
Why the SONIC?
The jumping machine for medium winds up to a maximum of 25 knots. The ultimate light wind kite for foiling. The SONIC is clearly tailored to the hooked-in style and convinces with hangtime, altitude and driving speed to make as many jumps per session. The design underlines the high aspect ratio and gives the wing a sporty character.
SONIC vs SOUL
The SONIC needs an experienced kiter who is skilled in handling foil kites. It overflows more and is more difficult to start and restart than the SOUL. The jumping performance, running up and turning is better in a direct comparison of sizes 18/15.
The SOUL is more docile and sits deeper in the wind window, has significantly more stability in strong winds and offers a higher level of user-friendliness and a better relaunch overall. The products are clearly separated from one another and tailored to the skill levels.
Recommended flying line length
For the twin tip we recommend 20-23m flying lines. The kite can be flown from 12-17m lines on the hydrofoil.
Why is there no smaller SONIC?
For safety reasons, we clearly recommend our SOUL & STOKE product lines for high winds. The high aspect ratio is extremely demanding in strong winds and can lead to dangers.
Product highlights
SPC (smart performance construction)
The combination of lightweight construction, durability and optimal power distribution. The top and bottom sail consists of 32 g / m² X-Light, the front edge of 44 g / m² DLX + cloth. The X-Light makes the construction stiffer and improves the feedback and the even pull of the kite. The DLX + increases the service life and protects against abrasion. The elaborate inner structure made of ribs and bands with reinforced suspension points distributes the load evenly over the entire wing. The Little Connection Lines (LCL) serve as a predetermined breaking point and facilitate the replacement of the bridle lines. All components of the SONIC are designed for maximum performance on any terrain.
ADS (automatic drainage system)
safety plays a central role in the development of our products. The automatic drainage system is an important part of your trust in the soft kite system. The interior and material selection of a FLYSURFER kite is optimized to absorb as little water as possible and to ensure a relaxed restart in the event of a long splash. This feature sets us apart from the competition, allows you to launch in deep water and gives you the confidence to relaunch our kites in the lightest breeze.
Maintenance - Long mixer test
The long mixer test can be carried out by comparing the lengths of the marked bridle lines with the front and back main (see line plan) in order to compensate for deviations on the scales via the mixer. After intensive use, adjustments should be made to maintain the performance of the product.
PMA (profile momentum adjuster)
The flight characteristics of the kite can be strongly influenced with the PMAs. The stability, turning and asymmetries can be changed or compensated for quickly and efficiently. The PMAs are sewn onto five ribs on the B-plane on the left and right wingspan. Reach into the air intakes to reach a small knot ladder on the top and bottom sail of the kite. By shortening the node conductor, the profile momentum can be adjusted or asymmetry can be compensated. We recommend the help of a FLYSURFER sales partner to make adjustments.
THE MIXER
The individual levels of the kite are controlled by the mixer with different ratios and thus influence the angle of attack and the profile curvature. It is also adjustable to compensate for the stretching or shortening of lines and to ensure long-term use.
MPI (max pressure air intake)
The Max Pressure Air Intake integrated into the leading edge and ensures maximum dynamic pressure in our FLYSURFER Foil Kites. The quick filling during the start is necessary to get full control over the kite as early as possible.
data table
SONIC3 9 11 13 15 18
color Rust ambergris Steel blue SpareMiNT Lime
Area (projected) 7.52 m² 9.19 m² 10.86 m² 12.53 m² 15.46 m²
Aspect ratio 6.6 6.8 6.9 7.1 7.2
Cells 55 55 55 55 55
Depth of the profile (cm) 142 155 167 177 195
Flat wing span (cm) 771 865 947 1032 1154
Weight = canopy + complete bridle + mixer (kg) 1.94 2.24 2.56 2.82 3.36
Recommended barsize 50 50 50 50/60 60
Wind range (knots) 9-25 7-23 6-20 5-18 5-16
scope of delivery
1x SONIC kite only
1x SONIC Light Bag
1x UNIVERSAL kite bag
1x kite safety guide
1x BALLAST bag
1x repair kit
These users thanked the author Adventure Logs for the post:
idan (Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:27 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

a99
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: North, SabMoses, Flysurfer, Liquid Force, Blade, Xenon.

Postby a99 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:43 pm

Interesting where you found this info if its not exist in FS webpage even. Weight quite the same as Sonics2, wind range seems as smaller :(

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Punta del Diablo, Urugay

Postby Adventure Logs » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:08 pm

a99 wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:43 pm
Interesting where you found this info if its not exist in FS webpage even. Weight quite the same as Sonics2, wind range seems as smaller :(
Was on a website and then taken off, still found in the google cache.

I think the reason for the smaller ranges is they’re trying to differ their kites more and are doing a little nannying for the inexperienced who will buy them. The other day I saw the designer out on a 15 in 25kts and he was having no problems at all holding it down.

a99
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: North, SabMoses, Flysurfer, Liquid Force, Blade, Xenon.

Postby a99 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:30 pm

Maybe he used reverse mod mixer ? Than it gives more depower but less relounch and etc.
I though they will push 11m till 2kg or 2.1kg maximum. For foiling its crushal weight for Ulw.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:24 am

Jackos mixer doesn't actually give more depower it just makes the depower available in like half the bar stroke. So on a standard bar throw of 40-50cm you will have the full range of the kite. People do use long throw bars even up to 1meter so they can have the full range of a kite often with no trimmer.

You can alter the maximum depower of a kite. Most foil kites will shrink the pulley lines reducing it. You can restore the standard depower and also increase it beyond that.

Return to “Foil Kites”