Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Flysurfer Peak 4

For all foil kite riders
tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby tomtom » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:32 am

Another reason against too big Peak its lack of REAL drift. Its not drift with too big kite - its downwind pull rest pull from kites drag. Smaller the kite smaller this rest pull to the point that is virtually nonexistent

haiku
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Latina beach Italy and...Naish beach Maui
Favorite Beaches: Latina, Porto Pollo - Italy , Kitebeach. Kihei - Maui
Style: old and new school
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic FR, Speed, Boost, Cronix, Naish Pivot, Flysurfer Radical 5, Door 5, Kazuma custom wave boards

Postby haiku » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:38 pm

Flysurfer Peak 4 11 m foil jibe training session in 7/13 Knots. (Groove Skate Carbon L/MHL Lift 170) I love this size :heartface: and the 13 m is even better, Another video coming soon.

Cheers

Carlo
These users thanked the author haiku for the post (total 3):
LeoLeal (Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:06 pm) • Kitedougiefresh (Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:53 pm) • zivshr (Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:37 am)
Rating: 9.09%

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby slowboat » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:30 pm

tomtom wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:28 am
balticswell wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:48 am
My first and only session sofar was in 18-22 knots on a Peak 5m

Again too much kite. You need to work kite heavy to waterstart - then you have right size for riding.
18 - 22 knts is 3m absolute sweetspot for me 86 kg 1200cm wing
No way i can use 5m on such wind with pleasure.

Obviously kite feels strange for lot of people and im fooled that for me it click instantly.

Also you definetely SHOULD have backstall on bar. Its uselfull for lot of reasons - i can fly kite directly down in to water and just stop in midle of WW reverse position it whenever i want it in WW.
Its like unmount reverse from car just because you cant reverse drive car.

Take you time - choose right size and you find it BEST flying traction tool for mid to strong winds
This is exactly correct.

If the waterstart is easy, you have too much kite.

If the kite is flapping, you have too much kite.

The best foilers I know use backstall beautifully with Peak 4's. It takes a lot of experience to do this well.

Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Postby Trent hink » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:55 pm

I started with the 8 meter and now have the 5 meter and just got a 4.

I have to admit that years of using inflatable kites have made me pretty ham-fisted when it comes to sheeting control. So usually in light winds i use the trim strap to trim the kite so that it is difficult for me to backstall. Clearly this does not get the most performance out of the kite, but it does make it really easy to fly.

For sure the 5 is a better kite with way more range, but if you just want a kite that is super easy to fly and if you really need a kite that can get maybe 3-4 knots lower than what is possible with the 5, then you won't be disappointed with the 8.

In the conditions i ride in, i'm using the 8 frequently and am very happy with it.
Last edited by Trent hink on Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Trent hink for the post (total 5):
LeoLeal (Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:04 pm) • Kitedougiefresh (Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:53 pm) • andrzej351 (Wed May 13, 2020 8:49 am) • zivshr (Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:39 am) • oldkiter (Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:47 am)
Rating: 15.15%

flying doctor
Frequent Poster

Postby flying doctor » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:23 pm

This thread made me so exited that I've jumped on the opportunity to buy a second hand 4m peak 4.

Because it's winter here and I'm in my first year of foiling I'm hesitant to try it out in cold waters too far from shore. But I'm really looking forward to trying it.

What would be the ideal wind range for my 73kg and spitfire XLW, can anyone give me a recommendation?

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:58 pm

tomtom wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:21 am
Adventure Logs wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:44 am
Extremely small optimal bar position. This with the on/off power delivery was difficult for me to adjust. I usually like to trim so the last couple inches of bar throw will backstall the kite. I use this alot with my Soul when going directly into the kite and when I want to do a fast kite pivot. This ended up being a problem for me with the Peak since the kite lost its power so quickly. I was able to adjust though, just took some time.
=Jason-

You are just not used to fly such small kite. If it flap - you was on wrong size. - too big. I know its weird to say 3m was too big but it was. If Peaks flap they are out of optimum. 3m Peak isnt good Peak to start with. Any 3m kite will be difficult size with any kite if you are not used to small kite. Try one hand wrist control with depower lines between fingers.
Take you time. You will start appreciate fast and nimble kite - anything will start to look slow and unresponsive.
Im 86 kg and on 633 - 3m works till 25knts - from 16 - 17.
People are fooled with weak powerstroke - if you are wanting powerstroke like other kites you end with kite too big and flapping.
It would only flap with the bar out and I always hydrofoil with one hand on the bar with the depower lines between my fingers. I’m seriously thinking about finding some decent gloves because usually at the end of a long session I have some pretty good burns on my hands from the rope. I’m right around that weight and use the same Moses foil but there’s no way I would be able to use the 3m at 16kts. Perhaps with more time with the wing yes but at those wind speeds I’d rather take out my Soul 6m. I would say the Soul 6m almost drifts as nicely as the Peak4 but has more grunt which I like.

hongchew
Medium Poster
Gear: airush

Postby hongchew » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:43 pm

Trent hink wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:55 pm
I started with the 8 meter and now have the 5 meter and just got a 4.

I have to admit that years of using inflatable kites have made me pretty ham-fisted when it comes to sheeting control. So usually in light winds i use the trim strap to trim the kite so that it is difficult for me to backstall. Clearly this does not get the most performance out of the kite, but it does make it really easy to fly.

For sure the 5 is a better kite with way more range, but if you just want a kite that is super easy to fly and if you really need a kite that can get maybe 3-4 knots lower than what is possible with the 5, then you won't be disappointed with the 8.

In the conditions i ride in, i'm using the 8 frequently and am very happy with it.
What's the low-end for the 8m?

hongchew
Medium Poster
Gear: airush

Postby hongchew » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:48 pm

haiku wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:38 pm
Flysurfer Peak 4 11 m foil jibe training session in 7/13 Knots. (Groove Skate Carbon L/MHL Lift 170) I love this size :heartface: and the 13 m is even better, Another video coming soon.

Cheers

Carlo
0:20 says 13m. 11m or 13m? :?: :?:

merl
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: HF

Postby merl » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:50 pm

> The best foilers I know use backstall beautifully with Peak 4's. It takes a lot of experience to do this well.

I think it still might be good to eliminate backstall possibility in the beginning. First time out I was almost crashing the kite by spinning it and flying it backwards and losing sense of which way up the kite was. I alwo had to really concentrate to get power out of the kite without stalling/spinning it.

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:31 pm

merl wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:50 pm
> The best foilers I know use backstall beautifully with Peak 4's. It takes a lot of experience to do this well.

I think it still might be good to eliminate backstall possibility in the beginning. First time out I was almost crashing the kite by spinning it and flying it backwards and losing sense of which way up the kite was. I alwo had to really concentrate to get power out of the kite without stalling/spinning it.
I don't disagree. It takes a lot of experience to take full advantage of.

Return to “Foil Kites”