Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

British Virgin Islands Kitesurfing Travel Guide

Post your videos here. Use the "Video" tag to embed Youtube and Vimeo videos!
Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

British Virgin Islands Kitesurfing Travel Guide

Postby Toby » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:17 pm

Islands! In this video we cover just a few of the many kitesurfing spots BVI has to offer - including Colquhoun Reef, Prickly Pear, Anegada, and Sandy Spit. We also share important travel tips on getting to/around the BVIs and some of the numerous sights to see! Enjoy!

nherbold
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ilha do Guajiru, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Ilha do Guajiru
Huntington Beach, California
Sherman Island, California
Crissy Fields, California,
Anegada, British Virgin Island
Style: Strapless & wakestyle/Freeride
Gear: Wainman (RIP)...

Re: British Virgin Islands Kitesurfing Travel Guide

Postby nherbold » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:55 pm

Yes....home sweet home.
Apparently some rich dude is developing Saba Rock (after it got destroyed by Irma) into a full-on world class kite spot (the guy is big into kiting).

And if you are not traveling by boat there are some good spots to kite on Tortola as well, but you probably need some local help trying to figure out which spot is best depending on the wind direction and how to get there.

adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Charleston, SC - Folly Beach
Favorite Beaches: Folly Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Playa Avellanas, Barker's, GC, East End, St. Croix,VI
Style: Surf mostly, some freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam 7,12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
5'2" North Whip CSC
5'4" Tomo Hydroshort
Nobile 2HD
Slingshot H4 Batwing foil
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Postby adamj2281 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:45 pm

I'm looking at going to Anegada, has anyone got any experience on getting out through the reef and surfing waves out the back? I messaged the shop at Anegada Beach Club and he said it's doable, just have to watch the reef. I'm just wondering how tight it is in there.

nherbold
Frequent Poster

Postby nherbold » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:15 pm

Yes you probably can, but I'm pretty sure there are better places to go surf than the Anegada reef.
I'm not a surfer, but (apparently) there is a world class break at Cane Garden Bay but that's only right a few times out of the year. The local surfers usually go to Josiah's or Apple/Carrot bay for surfing. And if there are good waves at the Anegada reef I'm pretty sure the waves will be good (if not better/cleaner) at Cane or Josiah's

Anyway Anegada is the best place in BVI for kiting hands down....great for learning and Anegada Beach Club is a cool hangout. Tommy Gaunt is a cool guy and his shop has everything you need.

Good luck

Leon van Bergen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, Netherlands
Gear: Duotone Rebel 7,9,11 SLS ‘23 | 14m Juice Dlab | Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Leon van Bergen » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:39 am

adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Folly Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Playa Avellanas, Barker's, GC, East End, St. Croix,VI
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
5'2" North Whip CSC
5'4" Tomo Hydroshort
Nobile 2HD

Postby adamj2281 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:44 pm

nherbold wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:15 pm
Yes you probably can, but I'm pretty sure there are better places to go surf than the Anegada reef.
I'm not a surfer, but (apparently) there is a world class break at Cane Garden Bay but that's only right a few times out of the year. The local surfers usually go to Josiah's or Apple/Carrot bay for surfing. And if there are good waves at the Anegada reef I'm pretty sure the waves will be good (if not better/cleaner) at Cane or Josiah's

Anyway Anegada is the best place in BVI for kiting hands down....great for learning and Anegada Beach Club is a cool hangout. Tommy Gaunt is a cool guy and his shop has everything you need.

Good luck
Yeah, I'm up for surfing and may end up at Tortola, but I was meaning kitesurfing waves. I'm looking for a long trip for my 40th with Barbados for one stop and somewhere in the BVI's for another if I can get the logistics together.

nherbold
Frequent Poster

Postby nherbold » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:32 pm

adamj2281 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:44 pm
nherbold wrote:

Good luck
Yeah, I'm up for surfing and may end up at Tortola, but I was meaning kitesurfing waves. I'm looking for a long trip for my 40th with Barbados for one stop and somewhere in the BVI's for another if I can get the logistics together.
OK..in that case yes...the anagada break is much more accessible by kite than the other breaks around Tortola. At certain spots it can be super shallow (with the reef/corral poking through at times), but you can find your spot and play in the break for sure. From what I see the breaks at Josiah's and apple/carrot are not good for kiting as they are located in the wind shadow while for Anegada the wind comes in clean.

Let me know if you end up making it out here

adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
5'2" North Whip CSC
5'4" Tomo Hydroshort
Nobile 2HD

Postby adamj2281 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:00 am

nherbold wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:32 pm
adamj2281 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:44 pm
nherbold wrote:

Good luck
OK..in that case yes...the anagada break is much more accessible by kite than the other breaks around Tortola. At certain spots it can be super shallow (with the reef/corral poking through at times), but you can find your spot and play in the break for sure. From what I see the breaks at Josiah's and apple/carrot are not good for kiting as they are located in the wind shadow while for Anegada the wind comes in clean.

Let me know if you end up making it out here
Shooting for last week in January/first week in February 2021, going to try and work a trip there for 5 days and then to Barbados, if I can swing it.

Return to “Videos”