Forum for snow- and landkiters
TimS
Medium Poster
Style: Freeride/freestyle
Gear: Core GTS/XR
Has thanked: 0

Re: climate change / unpredictable weather/wind

Postby TimS » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:21 pm

Elon with it's Starlink satellites, actually he is building a network with sunscreens attached to eachother to cool the planet :lol:
Great idea right ? :o :D

Matteo V
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:39 pm

TimS wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:21 pm
Elon with it's Starlink satellites, actually he is building a network with sunscreens attached to eachother to cool the planet :lol:
NO! If there is any chance of sending the climate into a cooling period, we are all dead, and so is most of the rest of life on earth.

I still can't believe that the majority of people aren't aware that warming is no big deal to life, and cooling equals death to most humans and most other organisms on earth.
These users thanked the author Matteo V for the post:
foilholio (Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:42 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

TimS
Medium Poster

Postby TimS » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:57 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:39 pm
TimS wrote:
NO! If there is any chance of sending the climate into a cooling period, we are all dead, and so is most of the rest of life on earth.

I still can't believe that the majority of people aren't aware that warming is no big deal to life, and cooling equals death to most humans and most other organisms on earth.
Say that to the people down under :argue: :naughty:

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Havre » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:06 pm

It raises some very interesting questions. Who decides what the right temperature is - assuming we can soon control it?

It will be something for slide's grandchildren to ponder about. The Chinese want one temperature and the Americans another? I guess we have to have a war then.

Obviously some random pre-industrial number is the correct one for co2, temperature etc.
These users thanked the author Havre for the post:
foilholio (Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:42 pm)

Matteo V
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:23 pm

TimS wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:57 pm
Matteo V wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:39 pm
TimS wrote:

Say that to the people down under :argue: :naughty:
Perfect example! You think that fires destroying homes, unpleasantly warm temperatures with very little rainfall locally, is the worst that can possibly be, huh?

Maybe people don't realize or understand how stupid and short sighted that is because the narrative of AGW is geared toward covering up what would actually happen if we have even a mild cooling trend. Maybe it's because there's nearly no one alive in the "whiney West" today that has been hungry to the point of emaciation.

What it boils down to is whether or not it's worse for my home to burn down, or to starve to death along with everyone else in an entire region.

And there's virtually no debate that rainfall is reduced globally when temperatures are reduced. This means that, not only will there be fresh water shortages, but there will also be Mass failure of crops due to lack of irrigation capabilities. But wait, it gets better! When the rains stop, we are going to be burning every last bit of fossil fuel in order to power desalination of seawater. Unfortunately, that isn't really a solution as the true problem lies in fewer and fewer places being able to support agriculture due to lower temperatures and shorter growing seasons. And it still gets better! If you think the oceans are overfished now, and wild game stocks are over hunted, just wait until starving people start looking to other food sources to survive. The number of species that Humanity has had a hand in making extinct in our short time on this Earth, won't be a drop in the bucket to the number of species that go extinct to feed starving nations, including Western nations.

Again no one debates the above scenario. The carrying capacity of the earth is directly tied to how warm it is. If it cools, and there are still the same number of people on earth, a lot of those people will die because of lack of food.
These users thanked the author Matteo V for the post:
foilholio (Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:44 pm)

TimS
Medium Poster

Postby TimS » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:02 pm

Well it is getting much hotter in Netherlands last 2/3 years with temperatures above 40 degrees celcius and no more snow and ice on the lakes.
10 Years ago we had -15 to -20 celsius in winter time , this winter we had maybe -2 if not higher.

LoL i say one thing and you know exactly how i think about the climate ? You are funny.

Of course an ice age is definately devastating, but a few degrees lower in summer i would appreciate and as a Dutch men we are below sea level and i would not like it if the sea floods us haha.

I found this an interesting video, is it true i don't know :

Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Postby Trent hink » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:29 pm

Havre wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:06 pm
It raises some very interesting questions. Who decides what the right temperature is - assuming we can soon control it?
I think that biology and ecology "sort of" determine what the right temperature is.

I mean, even though the biosphere can and will adapt, and even though there is very much evidence that it has in the past, where natural events have caused mass extinctions to happen, does that make it morally ok for people to do things that might change the world so quickly that another mass extinction will occur?

I'm not sure if i know the answer. We ourselves are a part of nature.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:12 am

TimS wrote: Well it is getting much hotter in Netherlands last 2/3 years with temperatures above 40 degrees celcius and no more snow and ice on the lakes.
10 Years ago we had -15 to -20 celsius in winter time , this winter we had maybe -2 if not higher.
You like -20C temps? I hear the polar regions are still cold try living there. Extremes are not climate but the climate will likely change in regions much more than generally. This would have happened with or without mans influence. Mans influence no doubt is pushing things faster and in different or new directions.
TimS wrote: Of course an ice age is definately devastating, but a few degrees lower in summer i would appreciate and as a Dutch men we are below sea level and i would not like it if the sea floods us haha.
An ice age is not just going to be a "few" degrees lower in summer, it will mean likely for where you are NO summer and being buried under permanent ice. Living below sea is an interesting concept but just maybe you should consider immigrating, at least in the long run. Africa would be nice, and it's the least they can do considering all the people from there Europe HAS to take.
Matteo V wrote: What it boils down to is whether or not it's worse for my home to burn down, or to starve to death along with everyone else in an entire region.
And fires are completely manageable but it is not clear whether we can or will have avoided an ice age.

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:45 am

Trent hink wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:29 pm
Havre wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:06 pm
I think that biology and ecology "sort of" determine what the right temperature is.

I mean, even though the biosphere can and will adapt, and even though there is very much evidence that it has in the past, where natural events have caused mass extinctions to happen, does that make it morally ok for people to do things that might change the world so quickly that another mass extinction will occur?

I'm not sure if i know the answer. We ourselves are a part of nature.
There is no way people will agree on what the "right" temperature is. What would be earths prime in terms of ecology/biology? Only thing we do know is that rapid changes poses short term problems. Not necessarily long term ones. What is dinosaurs have had the technology to stop that asteroid? Would the earth now be a better place? I guess dinosaurs would have thought so.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:26 am

Australia

One month records broken for dryness and fires

Next month records broken for rainfall.

You read what is given to you to get your attention, to sell advertising, don't forget that.

"And records broken" really means very little unless there is a context.

It is a shame because if you consume your news from the same places each time without scientific reference.. you end up full of $hit .. kind of brainwashed imo

Return to “Snow / Land”