Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: First impression of Gong M Pro

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:24 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:20 am
Cavitation is when working at extremely high speeds, above 50 knots
Cavitation is just about pressure differences. Fast-flowing rivers can cause cavitation on rock surfaces, for example.

GTC
Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish

Postby GTC » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:57 pm

Zamed wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:26 pm
GTC wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:02 pm
Hi all,
I am considering purchasing a Gong HF.
The M Pro wing (1092cm2) sounds like a good option for a beginner but I would like to know how it compares to the Freeride wing (712cm2). Low end speed, top speed, stability...

Thanks in advance
I have both wings.
I don't like at all the freeride wing (712 cm2). It's not very stable and relatively poor performer at low speeds.
On the other hand, I'm totaly hooked on the M pro wing. It's perfect for my style of riding, which is carving and playing on swell waves.
The only downside for a beginner is that it's more technical to waterstart with a larger wing.
I think that it's a small price to pay, because once you get to handle it, everything else that you'll try will be much more easy to learn.
Nice! How about the speed of the M Pro? Is it possible to average +20 knots?

Zamed
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Tayo Israel
Style: Free ride foiling
Gear: Gong
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby Zamed » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:30 am

GTC wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:57 pm
Zamed wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:26 pm
GTC wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:02 pm
Hi all,
I am considering purchasing a Gong HF.
The M Pro wing (1092cm2) sounds like a good option for a beginner but I would like to know how it compares to the Freeride wing (712cm2). Low end speed, top speed, stability...

Thanks in advance
I have both wings.
I don't like at all the freeride wing (712 cm2). It's not very stable and relatively poor performer at low speeds.
On the other hand, I'm totaly hooked on the M pro wing. It's perfect for my style of riding, which is carving and playing on swell waves.
The only downside for a beginner is that it's more technical to waterstart with a larger wing.
I think that it's a small price to pay, because once you get to handle it, everything else that you'll try will be much more easy to learn.
Nice! How about the speed of the M Pro? Is it possible to average +20 knots?
I've never measured my speed, so I won't get into numbers, but my feel is that the speed of the M pro is more than enough for freeride fun.
Top speed is not far from the freeride wing (712 cm2).
In any case, you won't be joining the racers club.
In my opinion, at a beginner/intermediate level, top speed is not an important factor.
Better work on your jibes amd tacks with an easy setup and after that find your path in the foiling scene.
These users thanked the author Zamed for the post:
GTC (Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:32 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:24 pm

The M Pro is an excellent wing to start with. You can get 55cm stab and shorter mast to make it easier.
I learned on the moses 550 wing and 93cm mast. 57 years old.
The Gong M Pro is way way easier even with 40 cm stab.
Frankly, if you can't learn on Gong pro M, there's something wrong with your commitment.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:44 pm

Kamikuza wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:24 pm
Peter_Frank wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:20 am
Cavitation is when working at extremely high speeds, above 50 knots
Cavitation is just about pressure differences. Fast-flowing rivers can cause cavitation on rock surfaces, for example.
It could maybe be better viewed as the momentum force of one molecule being water over comes the intermolecular force attaching it to another being water or your hydrofoil. Things are not straight in fluids, they are circular. Vortexes form next to other vortexes, and relative momentums could be much higher than you would imagine. I would think that turning is when these are at their greatest.

lightwind
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 75
Local Beach: SC Lahor, Kotor
Gear: Gong strutless 10, Gong Unik 6.8, Blade Skinny boy 5m, Gong foil M pro wing, Gong foil board 3CS 4.6, Gong Neutra V2 5 m, Gong HIPE pro 5.1

Postby lightwind » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:37 pm

Did anyone tried the foil with wing? Is the size M good choice for 75 kg rider and 5 m wing for 15-30 knots wind.

faklord
Frequent Poster

Postby faklord » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:33 pm

Flyboy wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:11 pm
faklord wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:21 pm
I noticed gong now do a modified version of these wings https://www.gong-galaxy.com/en/product/ ... pro-clear/
One of the things they say is “ With this new range, we have added a hole to add a screw on top of the fuselage. The gain in rigidity is enormous. Nothing moves, twists or vibrates. It’s absolutely perfect.”

It sounds like one of the contributing factors to the vibration issues some people are experiencing is the rigidity of the font wing connection? Maybe it is possible to add a bit of packing or it may even be possible to drill an additional hole as in the new version?

Saw this post after I posted! The wing (original) has screws that just fasten the wing to the fuselage on one side. It seems to me that a longer screw that screwed all the way through the fuselage & through to a thread on the other side would be the best way to increase the rigidity of the connection. From what you are describing they have elected to countersink into the top of the wing & add a screw there. Presumably this could be retro-fitted?

One other thing: the screws that come with the foil seem to be relatively small/short. I wonder if this isn't a potential issue with the mast/top plate & mast/ fuselage connection?
This may be of interest to those with vibration issues

https://www.gong-galaxy.com/en/magazine ... dium=email

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:35 pm

faklord wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:33 pm
Flyboy wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:11 pm
faklord wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:21 pm
I noticed gong now do a modified version of these wings https://www.gong-galaxy.com/en/product/ ... pro-clear/
One of the things they say is “ With this new range, we have added a hole to add a screw on top of the fuselage. The gain in rigidity is enormous. Nothing moves, twists or vibrates. It’s absolutely perfect.”

It sounds like one of the contributing factors to the vibration issues some people are experiencing is the rigidity of the font wing connection? Maybe it is possible to add a bit of packing or it may even be possible to drill an additional hole as in the new version?

Saw this post after I posted! The wing (original) has screws that just fasten the wing to the fuselage on one side. It seems to me that a longer screw that screwed all the way through the fuselage & through to a thread on the other side would be the best way to increase the rigidity of the connection. From what you are describing they have elected to countersink into the top of the wing & add a screw there. Presumably this could be retro-fitted?

One other thing: the screws that come with the foil seem to be relatively small/short. I wonder if this isn't a potential issue with the mast/top plate & mast/ fuselage connection?
This may be of interest to those with vibration issues

I have to say that I haven't experienced any noticeable "vibration issues" in practice. However, there is some play in the front wind/fuselage connection, so drilling an additional hole on top seems like a reasonable thing to do.

flying doctor
Frequent Poster

Postby flying doctor » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:42 am

lightwind wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:37 pm
Did anyone tried the foil with wing? Is the size M good choice for 75 kg rider and 5 m wing for 15-30 knots wind.
Also interested in an answer to this question!

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:17 am

The odd thing about the Gong fuselage is it already comes with threaded holes on both top & bottom of the fuselage. The screws provided are only long enough to screw through the bottom of the wing & into the one (bottom) side of the fuselage, so the holes on the top of the fuselage seem to have no function. However, the video shows how you can add a drilled hole in the wing housing using the existing threaded hole in the top of the fuselage as a guide & then add a screw through the drilled hole in the wing using the threaded hole in the top of the fuselage to secure it.

I asked Gong why the fuselage came stock with the holes in the top & bottom ... & got no explanation. They offered the opinion that with the smaller wing (MPro) there was no need to add the screw on top. However, it seems like a pretty straightforward thing to add it, so I will probably do it anyway ...

Return to “Hydrofoil”