Sardinia
Style: Moved to foiling
Gear: Flysurfer soul.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Pansh Aurora 3

Postby S2000kitesurfer » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:12 pm

So the aurora 3 hates gusty conditions.
Alex's 9m completely collapses .
Maybe the kite will settle down with use.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:32 am

It looks more flat than the 2 so that will make it less stable. The arc looks more like the original Aurora. Interesting the design path from 1 to 2 to 3.

Has Alex tried tuning it to be more stable? Has he used the mixer mod on it yet?

S2000kitesurfer
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Poole sandbanks
Favorite Beaches: Mauritius le morne
Fuerteventura
Sardinia

Postby S2000kitesurfer » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:22 pm

Right I've been playing with my new 10m aurora2 that leading edge kept on collapsing on launch plus in the air.
Really happy with this testing so far.
A2 A3 both extended 4cm
Steady conditions kite flies brilliantly.
A2 4cm A3 6cm today gusting 29 knots kite could keep at 12 without overflying collapsing.
Very slight increase in bar pressure.
I want to try A2 5cm A3 5cm
Expecting bar pressure to increase at least 50% kite sitting slightly further back in the window losing a slight amount of d-power + jumping performance.
Other combinations possible.
4/5#4/7#5/6#5/7#6/6#6/7.
Obviously different size kites will be a percentage difference on these measurements.
This is a simple fix if your leading edge collapses on launch and in normal flying.
Disclaimer I am by no means a kite foil expert this is just a common sense, simple Band-Aid fix to a known problem with the Aurora 🙋.

Attachments
IMG_20200214_195605.jpg

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:22 am

I get your reasoning having read on facebook that you thought those bridals look too tight, but I would consult the line plan. You have changed most of the A bridles so a global change at the mixer would be more simple and similar. You can also use much thinner line at the kite say 40-50kg fishing line just doubled over with an 8 knot on the end. Oh and this is an Aurora 3 thread :-) I think if you do some search there is a few posts on tuning Aurora 2 and many on foil kites in general.

A change in A +4 is equivalent to B -3 and C-2 in the mixer test (AZ=0) but also the AB depower limit changes by -4. If you shortened BCZ by -4 you would get the same change as extending A 4. If you instead extend Z +12 and C+4 you would have the same profile or mixer test of B-3 and C-2 but your AB depower limit would remain unchanged. What that means is you would have the same effect as lengthening A as long as you restricted the depower at the bar by -12, but you could lengthen that depower +12 to still gain the full depower. It's likely that the effects from just altering the profile with Z +12 and C +4 that the kite will be much more stable depowered and you can just control it with the bar like is so with all foil kites.

Oh and you don't need fancy tools to splice like you show in your picture, you can buy and use picture hanging wire for a few dollars from a hardware store.

S2000kitesurfer
Medium Poster
Fuerteventura
Sardinia

Postby S2000kitesurfer » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:50 am

foilholio wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:22 am
I get your reasoning having read on facebook that you thought those bridals look too tight, but I would consult the line plan. You have changed most of the A bridles so a global change at the mixer would be more simple and similar. You can also use much thinner line at the kite say 40-50kg fishing line just doubled over with an 8 knot on the end. Oh and this is an Aurora 3 thread :-) I think if you do some search there is a few posts on tuning Aurora 2 and many on foil kites in general.

A change in A +4 is equivalent to B -3 and C-2 in the mixer test (AZ=0) but also the AB depower limit changes by -4. If you shortened BCZ by -4 you would get the same change as extending A 4. If you instead extend Z +12 and C+4 you would have the same profile or mixer test of B-3 and C-2 but your AB depower limit would remain unchanged. What that means is you would have the same effect as lengthening A as long as you restricted the depower at the bar by -12, but you could lengthen that depower +12 to still gain the full depower. It's likely that the effects from just altering the profile with Z +12 and C +4 that the kite will be much more stable depowered and you can just control it with the bar like is so with all foil kites.

Oh and you don't need fancy tools to splice like you show in your picture, you can buy and use picture hanging wire for a few dollars from a hardware store.
I 100% agree with you but it was just those two lines that were tight 2 out of 5.
And the kite already fly's so much better for it. Other people that have adjusted the mixer to lengthen A told me it didn't work well, reduced depower and usability of the kite.
I have used 0 background knowledge
no experience whatsoever. I just flew it in light wind and watched what part of the bridal collapsed the kite.The kite was 80% ok out of the bag 🤷.
The other thing to realise is after the first light wind flight I went and checked the whole kite all connections.
I found I could undo every connection apart from those two really really tight ones 🤷.
Regarding the size of line Yes the new one's are massive 🤣🤣🤣.
Two reasons One i found it easier to get the knots positioned correctly Two it's what the wife hadn't thrown out 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤷🤦🙋🤣
PS be my frwwend on FB 😘😘

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:26 am

We can be friends here :-) .

I am not doubting your observations I would just guess the line plan would likely offer the correct solution straight up. Altering A or B will change depower. The mixer has 3 functions, alter line ratios and provide limits powered and depowered. In reality only 2 are really used, being the ratios and depower limit. One is only needed on kites that fly well just on A as in a depower limit is not needed with them. The mixer does need to have a physical limit, it can't really just have 5m pulley lines, though flysurfer used to have 2m pulley lines.

Mixers can also have multiple ratios, through things like a WAC line or Diablo line. These can engage or disengage at specific points.

If you use the search here you can find a lot of things to read about. I do apologize for my long winded explanations of past. I am trying to improve( with pictures too lol ) .
These users thanked the author foilholio for the post:
S2000kitesurfer (Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:46 am)
Rating: 3.03%

deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core

Postby deniska » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:48 am

it's probably politics.. but can someone explain to me why when I google "flysurfer big air"
I get Olly Bridge 200m sand bar jumps or that:

and for pansh.. it's always 29kts... and just flying the kite.. at the best... :lol: :lol: :lol:

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:53 am

So Pansh does not have team riders, aka fleas. It would be one reason contributing to why they are so cheap. I mean what kite does Flysurfer have for $89? There is no doubt Flysurfer has the edge on performance over Pansh. Flysurfer has a longer history, a better background being paragliders and also likely sells much more kites and definitely makes a lot more money. There is no doubt the design talent at Flysurfer is very good unlike the industry standard.

The performance gap is actually not that big, I would say Pansh is 80-90% as good on that front, maybe more to 80%. Their designs have improved greatly though, and the new Aeolus looks like it could be a competitor in the big air realm. I would also say there are many people who are quite as capable in some regards to pro riders but don't make videos. They have no incentive or benefit to make videos. Pro riders are REQUIRED to make videos so that they can get their "free" kites. I say "free" because they are really not, you as a customer actually are the ones paying for them, as well often also for the resellers. If you like paying for pro riders and resellers then great for you, but please don't think anyone else has an obligation to join you. I can see performance is a desired factor and I hope Pansh does improve more, but they already have the best value in the industry. Most people are quite happy to have reasonable performance for a reasonable price and while Pansh has reasonable performance their price is borderline outrageous, outrageously cheap that is :-) So if you are happy with Flysurfer and paying the price for them, then great for you. I really like Flysurfer, I just have no interest in pros or resellers. If Flysurfer sold direct at say half the current price which is still a lot more than Pansh I would probably support them too. You can actually get them for that price for a long time if you had the right connections, :wink: :wink: , But such relationships are unhealthy and unfair, I say support the people and give everyone a fair treatment.
These users thanked the author foilholio for the post:
Badgast (Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:30 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

S2000kitesurfer
Medium Poster
Fuerteventura
Sardinia

Postby S2000kitesurfer » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:01 am

Im sure in the future i will have a old kite that will need to be brought back to life by adjusting ABCZ using the mixer .
But the problem with this kite is that the bridle lengths in the first place were not correct 🤦🤷🙋.
Adjusting a whole line would have not worked . Proof is in the pudding it now doesn't fall out the sky and I still have full depower with a light bar pressure .
Those two lines were only 2cm short.
But on smaller kites thats a huge difference 👍.
I get what you are saying but it's a problem with the actual line plan length or the small Chinese boy putting the bridle line's together 🤣🤣🤣😈🏄

deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core

Postby deniska » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:40 pm

foilholio wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:53 am
The performance gap is actually not that big, I would say Pansh is 80-90% as good on that front, maybe more to 80%. Their designs have improved greatly though, and the new Aeolus looks like it could be a competitor in the big air realm. I would also say there are many people who are quite as capable in some regards to pro riders but don't make videos. They have no incentive or benefit to make videos. Pro riders are REQUIRED to make videos so that they can get their "free" kites.
Did not Pansh have some big promo discount on Aurora recently and also a video submission compo where the winner gets another 30% (or 60%?) off?
And the winning submission was a guy who does 1 meter jumps on 15m (the video is on Aurora 3 product page) :lol:
Aurora looks like similar AR to Soul so if 90% performance is there I would jump on this ship without hesitation..
I like big air... so can anyone post any proof that Aurora is capable of it. I can get about 13-14woo meters on my 15 soul on a good day foiling or TT-ing..
Are there any woo people on pansh getting good scores (if they camera shy and can't post pics or videos)
this is me on 15 soul (just some random shot from people on the beach, since I am not team rider or brand pimp):
BB37B1AC-611C-4CFC-BA75-DC1CFEA6FD55.jpg
I really want to believe that the kite is good.. Can someone convince me with some "on-the-water" proof and not pages and pages of technical talk?

Return to “Foil Kites”