For all foil kite riders
slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby slowboat » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:38 pm

.......... I would say the Soul 6m almost drifts as nicely as the Peak4 but has more grunt which I like.
They are both good kites with very different strong points but if you consider objective criteria such as weight and aspect ratio, it is physically impossible for the Soul to drift as well as a Peak 4.

Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Postby Trent hink » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:28 pm

hongchew wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:43 pm
Trent hink wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:55 pm
I started with the 8 meter and now have the 5 meter and just got a 4

In the conditions i ride in, i'm using the 8 frequently and am very happy with it.
What's the low-end for the 8m?
I don't have good accurate measurements so my numbers are just gonna be close. They are based on i-kitesurf measurements, but the nearest sensors are miles away from where i usually kite.

I weigh about 81kg. and i usually use 20m lines.

I'd say the 8 is working really well and fun in 10 knots and i can maybe get it going in a bit less than 9.5 knots, but at that point i might use 27 meter lines and it is a struggle to get up and maintain apparent wind. So you can go lower, but around 10 knots should be fun for most average riders.

I'm using the 5 and having fun starting in about 13 knots.

Aside from one quick try in conditions where i was crazy overpowered on my hydrofoil and didn't have my surfboard to try it with, I have only had 1 session with the 4. I'm guessing it was working well in around 16 knots.

flying doctor
Frequent Poster

Postby flying doctor » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:57 am

flying doctor wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:23 pm
This thread made me so exited that I've jumped on the opportunity to buy a second hand 4m peak 4.

Because it's winter here and I'm in my first year of foiling I'm hesitant to try it out in cold waters too far from shore. But I'm really looking forward to trying it.

What would be the ideal wind range for my 73kg and spitfire XLW, can anyone give me a recommendation?
Just a bump to see if anyone can help me with my question. Traffic in this thread is intense! :thumb:

a99
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: North, SabMoses, Flysurfer, Liquid Force, Blade, Xenon.

Postby a99 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:34 am

Trent hink wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:28 pm
hongchew wrote:
Trent hink wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:55 pm
I started with the 8 meter and now have the 5 meter and just got a 4
In the conditions i ride in, i'm using the 8 frequently and am very happy with it.
I don't have good accurate measurements so my numbers are just gonna be close.
I weigh about 81kg. and i usually use 20m lines.
I'd say the 8 is working really well and fun in 10 knots and i can maybe get it going in a bit less than 9.5 knots, but at that point i might use 27 meter lines and it is a struggle to get up and maintain apparent wind. So you can go lower, but around 10 knots should be fun for most average riders.
I'm using the 5 and having fun starting in about 13 knots.
Aside from one quick try in conditions where i was crazy overpowered on my hydrofoil and didn't have my surfboard to try it with, I have only had 1 session with the 4. I'm guessing it was working well in around 16 knots.
Thanks for info of lowed. Still very different opinions about 8m or 5m loweds. Some said there in forum that 8m goes fro even 6/7 knots, some that only from 9/10 knots (and all quite the same weight as 70-85 kg), the same with peak 5m. Some from 8/9 knots some from 11/12 knots.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:58 am

I think size of the hydrofoil would be the reason.

haiku
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Latina beach Italy and...Naish beach Maui
Favorite Beaches: Latina, Porto Pollo - Italy , Kitebeach. Kihei - Maui
Style: old and new school
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic FR, Speed, Boost, Cronix, Naish Pivot, Flysurfer Radical 5, Door 5, Kazuma custom wave boards

Postby haiku » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:19 am

hongchew wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:48 pm
haiku wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:38 pm
Flysurfer Peak 4 11 m foil jibe training session in 7/13 Knots. (Groove Skate Carbon L/MHL Lift 170) I love this size :heartface: and the 13 m is even better, Another video coming soon.

Cheers

Carlo
0:20 says 13m. 11m or 13m? :?: :?:
Hi, you are right, sorry It is the 11 m :roll: , I was editing also the video about the 13 m and I made a mistake adding the intro title.

Cheers

Carlo

drsurf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: NSW South Coast
Gear: Too much too describe
Brand Affiliation: Whatever I sell

Postby drsurf » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:56 pm

flying doctor wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:57 am
flying doctor wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:23 pm
This thread made me so exited that I've jumped on the opportunity to buy a second hand 4m peak 4.

Because it's winter here and I'm in my first year of foiling I'm hesitant to try it out in cold waters too far from shore. But I'm really looking forward to trying it.

What would be the ideal wind range for my 73kg and spitfire XLW, can anyone give me a recommendation?
Just a bump to see if anyone can help me with my question. Traffic in this thread is intense! :thumb:
One of the kiters at our local beach has a Spitfire and a 5m Peak4 and is enjoying foiling in 10 knots with 8 knot lulls. He's around 85kg. I think you'd need a minimum of 12knots to get going on your 4m Peak4. With the Peak4 if you have enough power to get out of the water onto the board, even if you have to flog your kite all over the sky, you should be fine to get onto the foil where your drag diminishes and the apparent wind gives you a boost. It may also depend on the size of your board. Surface area may be your friend.
There are a lot of variables and I'm talking about a good quality, steady wind to get going. If the wind is turbulent because it comes off the land or there are structures nearby disturbing the wind then you'll find it harder and need stronger wind. Let us know how it goes :)

PrfctChaos
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Perth
Style: Wave
Gear: Peak4's, Chrono V3, Skimboards, foils

Postby PrfctChaos » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:52 pm

I choose my 4m if wind is around 20 knots (maybe 16-23 knots ideal range). But it does get confusing since also ride the 5m up to 20 knots comfortably and can also ride the 3m at 20 knots.... just defferent amount of power, maybe larger surf wing etc etc etc. Im 80kg.

Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Postby Trent hink » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:33 pm

a99 wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:34 am
Trent hink wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:28 pm
hongchew wrote:

Thanks for info of lowed. Still very different opinions about 8m or 5m loweds. Some said there in forum that 8m goes fro even 6/7 knots, some that only from 9/10 knots (and all quite the same weight as 70-85 kg), the same with peak 5m. Some from 8/9 knots some from 11/12 knots.
I tried to give good, reasonable estimates, but also say why my numbers might be off.

As foilhoilio pointed out, size of the foil makes a big difference. Size of the board can also make a difference, and with a bigger board and assuming that you can just get yourself up over the board, it is easier to pump the foil to get going. Line length and rider weight will make a difference. Of course skill will play a role.

I'm using an old slingshot Dwarfcraft and a 1200cm Chinese foil that has good lift, but can't go very fast compared to something like the Moses 633. (I really do need to upgrade!)

Wind gradient probably accounts for most of the wide variation in wind ranges given here. There can be a wide variation of measurement, especially under certain, not uncommon, conditions when a hand-held wind meter is used. A pole-mounted meter will give a much more accurate reading of the conditions up where the kite is flying, but you need to have one nearby to get a good measurement.

I very recently had one of my kiting buddies swear I was riding the 8 in 7 knots, and at ground-level that is what the wind was. But I could tell from the way the kite was flying and the way the tree tops were moving that the wind was really more like 10-11 knots up at kite level.

So I'd say my estimates for the 5 and 8 are accurate enough that at 10 knots anyone can expect the 8 meter to work well, and at 13 knots anyone can expect the 5 meter to work well.

There are plenty of reasons why you might be able to ride in less, and one good reason why you might just think you are riding in less.
These users thanked the author Trent hink for the post:
ice (Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:42 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Trent hink » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:18 pm

Also, particularly with light wind, i have made expensive gear purchasing decisions in the past, based on claims made in this forum, where in the end i was very disappointed with what i got.

So my estimates might maybe be conservative, but only because i think it is important not to give out bad information.
These users thanked the author Trent hink for the post (total 5):
Kitedougiefresh (Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:58 pm) • LeoLeal (Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:45 am) • foilholio (Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:40 am) • ice (Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:43 am) • gregkn73 (Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:45 pm)
Rating: 15.15%

Return to “Foil Kites”