Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Boom! Cabrinha has been sold!

Forum for kitesurfers
rleshem
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0

Re: Boom! Cabrinha has been sold!

Postby rleshem » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:04 pm

Perhaps management wanted out - cabrinha minus Pete and team is worth less than current cabrinha.

espana23
Medium Poster
Gear: NA
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby espana23 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:25 pm

badgb21 wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:58 pm
"Cabrinha repeatedly to bring innovative and high-quality products to consumers worldwide."

Firstly I'm a Cabrinha Fan-Boy, but Cab' has had its fair share of issues over the years and some not so game-changing products.
Fireball, ugly foot long spring on the bar, 6 line Chaos, (IDS humm iffy), material that creases up white, lines recall, valves peeling, flagging line jamming in PU tube, plus others I'm sure.

The number of items in the product ranges seems ludicrous, the frequency of change - for 'new tech', that amounts to a different colour in reality.

Can these companies make money? Why would NP sell it if was good now and looked to be in the future.
I am wondering the same thing. I mean I understand that the Pryde Group most likely is facing issues and is trying to get things back on track, but why would they choose to sell Cabrinha if it was one of their healthy brands? I've read the press releases and all, but it would be great if we could have a clear and honest picture as to what caused this change of ownership and how Pete and co. are planning to make this a healthy company with new and exciting products.

Kitemanmuc
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Big Air, Kiteloops, Hydrofoil, Wave
Gear: Eleveight

Postby Kitemanmuc » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:35 pm

Will be interesting for sure. They are going to need a significant amount of capitalization to keep this running in the long run. Pryde Group was just 1 of the companies owned by large conglomerate Shriro Group, based out of China. So Cabrinha was really a small piece in an overall enormous companies that has its hands in several different industries. Seems like was all about low quality high price and running the companies from a pure profit perspective, which makes sense. But these are passion sport products, there needs to be a different approach to running this type of business and I think the best first step was to become a separate entity again. I can imaging Pryde Group was hemorrhaging quite a bit of cash and so the acquiring investment group took a stab at taking the most valuable brand out of that pool to give it a lifeline. Can't imagine it cost very much either. With Pete being a part of the acquiring group, im sure there was some pretty good leverage, considering the kites have his name on it. There is no money in kitesurfing at all anyways and many of the big players are being sustained either with a wide net of complimentary products (Duotone, Naish, F-One, Slingshot, Liquid Force, North) or big multi-millionaire/billionaire investors who want to have a feather in their hat and say they have a kite brand (Core, Ozone, Best, now Cabrinha). In my opinion they have a fantastic brand name, terrible branding (that logo is something from 1999 and looks like a basketball thats on fire you'll never be able to unsee it), and some of the lowest quality products on the market. They have an opportunity to reinvent themselves and they already started out on the wrong foot by announcing a change in ownership without taking advantage of a rebranding. The most important thing though is they need to become more streamlined. Look at Reedin or Eleveight for example. They are putting out one of the best products in the market right now and have grown faster than any other kite brand in the history of the sport, with a team of 4 I think plus ambassadors. Modern technology allows for companies like Cabrinha to run lean. So my two cents. Rebrand into a new era. Its 2020 not the 90's, increase the quality of the product dramatically and cut overhead. I hope the new ownership group took this on as a passion project, because it's not a big profit maker.
Just a thought.
These users thanked the author Kitemanmuc for the post (total 4):
downsouth (Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:24 pm) • iriejohn (Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:36 pm) • Kitetwin-1 (Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:40 am) • Donniehall14 (Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:22 pm)
Rating: 12.12%

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:38 pm

Kitemanmuc wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:35 pm
Will be interesting for sure ...
In other words, the old marketing models have become obsolete.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:58 am

badgb21 wrote:Can these companies make money?
Not as they have, with competition from direct brands they are fucked.
badgb21 wrote: Why would NP sell it if was good now and looked to be in the future.
Cabrinha is a stale brand. They will likely be dead within 10 years. I mean Best went down the toliet. North had a sex change. All while the consumer is more and more price conscious and much much cheaper alternatives are showing up. Like Pansh with $89 kites.
rleshem wrote: Pete and co. are planning to make this a healthy company with new and exciting products.
Maybe it is not so obvious but they are likely more valuable without them.
espana23 wrote: and how Pete and co. are planning to make this a healthy company with new and exciting products.
Expecting new things from the same people is an interesting idea. Illogical but interesting. I guess the fireball was new, maybe they can make it bigger, more directed to the gay community.

Return to “Kitesurfing”