Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Who are the foilers?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Who are the foilers?

Postby grigorib » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:01 pm

downunder wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:13 pm
There u go,

One year after this thread started, zero increase in foiling at my local. And my jumps and dark slides only got better ;)

TT and SB rules at my local with aprox 1700 kiters.

Totaly depends on location.
Friends from Cape Town gave me similar feedback. Did we make kite gods angry by trying to boost too high and so they punished us making all ride different gear/disciplines and not being able to understand each other? :)

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:54 am

grigorib wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:01 pm
downunder wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:13 pm
There u go,

One year after this thread started, zero increase in foiling at my local. And my jumps and dark slides only got better ;)

TT and SB rules at my local with aprox 1700 kiters.

Totaly depends on location.
Friends from Cape Town gave me similar feedback. Did we make kite gods angry by trying to boost too high and so they punished us making all ride different gear/disciplines and not being able to understand each other? :)
Correct.

I do not understand Figure Ice skating, but all into Ice hockey ;) Different discipline, nothing in common except ice.

Hardly ANY twin tipper worth any salt moved to a foil on my local and is good in it.

cor
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: -

Postby cor » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:22 am

downunder wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:54 am
Hardly ANY twin tipper worth any salt moved to a foil on my local and is good in it.
Says the guy living in Perth and some guys from CPT confirm :lol: :D :D That's hardly a surprise that almost no one is moving to foil there, isn't it? If I would be living in an area with plenty of 20+ knots days, I would probably not have started foiling either.

So yeah, as you mentioned, it all depends on the location.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:49 pm

Kite Hydrofoiling is growing up here at 56N. Opening up many sessions as we have tons of days of 10-12 knots. Some Guys are venturing out on foils in 25 knots and riding the wind waves on super small kites, it's fairly radical.
There's a first gang of us 45-60 yrs who started 3 years ago, but also an active segment of 25-40 yrs discovering.
It's also expanded our season to be really active even in deep winter. Going out tomorrow in 4c air water. This is because we can go out in 8-14 knots with less windchilland have fun.
These users thanked the author TomW for the post:
Peter_Frank (Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:48 am)
Rating: 3.03%

pikovsg
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Boston, Cape Cod, Outer Banks
Favorite Beaches: Cape Cod, Tarifa, Maui, Cabarete, Guadeloupe, Pleasure Bay.
Any session with a BRM Cloud and a hydrofoil.
Style: Soul, Freestyle, Race
Gear: -
Duotone Dice SLS, BRM Clouds, Ozone R1V2
Lift 150, Moses 637
Triton Custom V3 Bat 37", Temavento Sync
Carved Imperator

Postby pikovsg » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:21 am

PullStrings wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:27 pm
grigorib wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:05 pm

Judging by what you see - what do you think are the percentages of foilers broken down between
- kite
- windsurf
- surf/SUP
- wake
- kite 60%
- Windsurf 0%
- surf 40%
- wake 0%

Based on 3 kitefoilers and 2 surffoilers ...have seen them on rare occasions....it's not that popular....seeing actually a decline of foilers year after year
Many got bored...novelty wore off
They went back to their surfboards and twin-tips
It's just not catching on from what i see
Foilboarding may very well be overrated
That could be a new topic !!
:cheers:
A troll is a timeless disease without a cure, it seems. Do you ever get off the couch, mate? Much has changed in foiling since you started trolling. Maybe it's time to check out an actual non-forum beach, pullstrings?
– Your top fan
These users thanked the author pikovsg for the post:
cor (Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:45 pm)

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:13 am

PullStrings wrote:
grigorib wrote:

Judging by what you see - what do you think are the percentages of foilers broken down between
- kite
- windsurf
- surf/SUP
- wake
- kite 60%
- Windsurf 0%
- surf 40%
- wake 0%

Based on 3 kitefoilers and 2 surffoilers ...have seen them on rare occasions....it's not that popular....seeing actually a decline of foilers year after year
Kind of what I have seen too, but that may be skewed a little bit by a drop in kiting participation all around. You still see high number days when it's good, but a lot of the kiters that became skilled, seem to just not spend as much time doing it. And that Trend seems to be running through the foiling community as of last year.

Honestly what I think I'm seeing, is that there's really no longer an arms race for gear. Most people are pretty confident that their kites are good and this next year's kites are definitely not going to be any better. So if you have the skill and your gear is pretty much maxed out in technology, what's the point of really being dedicated and putting extra time and out there? Again oh, that's what I'm seeing, not necessarily doing.

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:18 am

Kite foiling numbers are up again at Flag beach fertuventura,
interestingly kite foil race guys are here, and thier numbers have blossomed, maybe on the back of the Olympics, young guns who are very serious about foil racing with impressive skill sets that's for sure, the money invested in their gear is scary.
Around 12 freeride Foil board riders down each day at the beach, many days we are the only guys out on the water due to the lighter winds keeping the Tips firmly stuck on the beach,
a few more wing foilers are now out most days searching out the regular sizable sea swell, which for me makes this place such a great foiling playground,
stilll not the easiest launch spot for many of the guys who are not well practiced at getting out through tricky onshore winds with powerfull small but at times painfull onshore close sets pushing the luckless unprepared guys backwards with little sympathy,
I have sympathy for them as I had to learn the same lessons, which not only greatly improved my body dragging skills, but also my carbon wing repair skills,
A great place to meet foil board riders from all corners of the world and listen to thier stories of why they choose their gear they ride, it really proves the point that home locations dictate the type of gear many buy and use, which at times is a little amusing, and really does open up your mind to accepting that what one guy thinks is perfect is not right for another guy who sails in another part of the world,
I must start taking some pics of the more unusual stuff, like the guy who uses gear that will only fit in a standard size suit case, not a split board but a tiny home made board mini mast, big wing, one kite, silly wet suit, big smile.
These users thanked the author Foil for the post:
SENDIT! (Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:38 pm)

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:26 pm

pikovsg wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:21 am
PullStrings wrote:
grigorib wrote:

- kite
- windsurf
- surf/SUP
- wake
- kite 60%
- Windsurf 0%
- surf 40%
- wake 0%

A troll is a timeless disease without a cure, it seems. Do you ever get off the couch, mate? Much has changed in foiling since you started trolling. Maybe it's time to check out an actual non-forum beach, pullstrings?
– Your top fan
I wrote that in March 2019....you coconut head :wink:
Now there is ZERO people kitefoiling in Feb 2020 around here
All done with kites....3 guys trying to wingfoil
As far as the couch it's to watch TV when there is no more light outside :tv:
Having a great month in ocean this month
9 days out already
Just yesterday 6 foot surf....5 stars session
January was also good with 13 days
I'm killing it
How about you ?

Return to “Hydrofoil”