Forum for kitesurfers
oregonkiter
Frequent Poster
Style: foil
Gear: Foil stuff
Brand Affiliation: None

Ozone vs Airush Click Style C-Loops

Postby oregonkiter » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:24 am

Anyone have experience with both of these 2020 style loops? What I am looking for is EASY, fast reload in deep COLD water with thick three finger gloves on. I don't care if it's one or two handed; just easy to do. On paper, the Ozone looks easier but I have not yet had the chance to try either. I only foil.

Thanks

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Re: Ozone vs Airush Click Style C-Loops

Postby Da Yoda » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:41 am

Right now I'm really liking Eleveight's c-bar over Ozone's. I'd like to see Airush's in comparison. Supposedly Eleveight was the first to market with a "click-in" bar...

oregonkiter
Frequent Poster
Style: foil
Gear: Foil stuff

Postby oregonkiter » Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:40 am

So I was able to try both the Ozone and Airush click loops. Both seem to work very well on dry land. I ended up with the Airush for one reason that involved the click loop, and two that did not.

1. The Airush loop seemed a bit more solid to me. However, the Ozone loop has a neat feature of not having to be sure release is pushed up. But, the Airush made a very solid “click” when engaged, and just felt sturdier. I’m sure I’d be happy with either. Both are easy to load. With a kite pulling you in the water I’m not convinced either are one-handed regardless.

2. The Airush has a longer throw which I really need. I have long arms. Honestly, it really came down to this on these two excellent bars.

3. I prefer shorter lines for foiling and the Airush are a bit shorter.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:50 am

The question is which will be more likely to break your legs. Ozone has already proven effective at it.

Seriously though why are people needing to release and reassemble their chickenloops so much that they want this BS?

Someone should collect pics of every design iteration of the chickenloop, there has to be at least 100. It has to be one of the most needless products in history to attract so much attention.
These users thanked the author foilholio for the post:
runner1 (Sun Oct 22, 2023 3:47 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

decay
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Muizenburg, Cape Town
Favorite Beaches: Ruakaka River Mouth
Style: ALL
Gear: Stuff I design
Brand Affiliation: Lacuna CTO

Postby decay » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:02 am

foilholio wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:50 am
Seriously though why are people needing to release and reassemble their chickenloops so much that they want this BS?
Kiteschools/Instuctors with new students (should) release and reset their QR anything up to 100 times a day in busy teaching locations - easy to reset is easier to teach. Ask any 10 year plus veteran instructor about the improvements in equipment over the last few years and any of them will answer that easier to reset QRs are a god-send.

There is also a serious safety concern with QR's that are a problem to put back together - if the riders mental association with pulling their QR is a difficult/problem filled reset they may hesitate to use it in a safety situation. My primary motivation in making the iQR simple and easy to reset was in the hope that riders will not hesitate to release in any situation. Early and often is much better than just too late when it comes to safety.

More experienced riders using loop connections or rope sliders also appreciate ease of assembly of a QR.

Cheers

DK

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:03 pm

Ok wow lets do this.

So a kite connection system has 2 functions, 2 primary functions, 2 functions of the most importance. Those are to maintain the connection, being between rider and kite or well technically the depower rope and the second is to break the connection when so desired by the rider. How it does those defines how good it is at it's job, everything else is secondary and should not compromise those functions. When you do add a function, you add complexity and complexity adds more modes of failure. When you add something new you also add unknown modes of failure. So you add a function to the chicken loop to make it reconnect quickly. This adds more modes of failure including ones you have absolutely no idea of. So in a short amount of time a pro rider Ruben Lenten ends up with broken legs because of this. The release failed at it's primary functions, both of them, because Ozone added something new to it, this function to reconnect it quickly.

So is it safer?

No if the release fails it's primary functions it is not safer. The more complicated you make it the more likely it will fail. I know of and can bring up many cases where a person dies or was injured because a release failed it's primary function. I know of no such cases for a release that failed to reassemble. I have used what is probably the worst release to reassemble from Flysurfer's early days, but it's primary function was very good and it has saved me on a few occasions. I have been put in danger from accidental releases on many many occasions. I have never once needed a release that is quick to reassemble. In fact if a release took 1 minute to assemble it would be fine, though given the simplest ideal designs that is not necessary.

Designing equipment so lazy instructors can have a easier job and then kiters are made to suffer and put at risk because of it is despicable. If someones training has left them hesitating to use a release for any reason let alone the absolutely stupid one that it could take a few seconds to reassemble, well then their training is absolutely inadequate. If you think a person given a situation that could harm them, and so they would release, would be worried about the reassembly of the release, that is so fucking stupid. Again if their training hasn't covered not to worry about such trivial things... what if they are in a situation that would trash their $1000's of gear or say lose it? I mean ideally they should be trained to avoid such situations, but I doubt given the quality of instruction I guess is going on that would even be happening. Needless to say their shitty over designed release will probably kill or injure them with little help.

If you use a rope slider a chickenloop is totally inappropriate. And so is a complicated shitty release. I hope companies that make this crap lose all their customers and go out of business. Seriously I have had enough of shitty designs on the most important gear we have.

Cheers?

How about f.uck you. or
How dare you.gif
How dare you.gif (896.28 KiB) Viewed 751 times
These users thanked the author foilholio for the post (total 2):
Kitetwin-1 (Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:02 am) • runner1 (Sun Oct 22, 2023 3:47 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: UK
Gear: Naish Torch's & Dash

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:13 pm

Naish chicken loops are excellent and very easy to put back together, definitely a two handed job but easy to do.

cor
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: -

Postby cor » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:35 pm

I am actually with foilholio on this one. This feels like Ozone/Airrush is reinventing a vital system like a car break just because it isn't convenient enough for a few people.

Daversj
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sag Harbor
Style: Like it all...
Gear: Ozone, Cabrinha,Naish,North,Corevac surfboard

Postby Daversj » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:19 am

The new Lacuna bar has the click in chicken loop as well. Super nice piece of kit. The lines looked good, similar to cabrinha. They were very stiff with a nice finish coating. Line color was black unfortunately, would rather have high vis lines. Bar and lines felt like quality in hand though. The kites looked as good as any other. Stiching didn't look as perfect as an Ozone kite but what other brand does. Probably made in the same factories as most others.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:24 am

Holy f*** knuckles, a new kite brand I never heard of, and yet another new release and chickenloop. It's like an insane asylum.

cor wrote: I am actually with foilholio on this one. This feels like Ozone/Airrush is reinventing a vital system like a car break just because it isn't convenient enough for a few people.
Thanks cor. I think of all the people over the years put in dangerous situations because their release was no good. I think of how most people don't need and shouldn't have a chicken loop. I think of the huge amount of designs of basically the same thing and the huge amount of work spent on those designs. I think how just a tiny tiny fraction of that effort could have made a really good system with no chicken loop. At the end of this thinking I get Gretarized. I am not disappoint though, I learned long ago that this industry rarely if ever impresses.

Return to “Kitesurfing”