Local Beach: woodmans point fremantle Western Australia
Favorite Beaches: Lancelin wa
Style: mostly surf and hydrofoil strapless
Gear: Rrd religion 7m f one bandit 9m
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: New hydrofoil / wave kite and bar: Kauper-XT

Postby freotilo » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:53 pm

hey guys longtime reader in oase and here and pretty advanced foiler here,
first I want to thank Rainer and the other forum members for the amazing info and answers, gives me a lot of confidence about the product and its properties but in saying that I would have to agree with the wish to get some more hands on video with the kite on the ground and o the water.
don't like the brand per se but when u look at. the arm videos they are minimal with a GoPro and a camera on land and explaining the gear and showing what its capable of without investing huge amounts in production.
I get that there is enough demand that kauper is selling good numbers either way I for one would just think to make a few videos is nice and easy for both parties..

Rainer Kauper
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Mallorca Beaches
Style: Riding nice waves & Hydrofoil
Gear: Maverick Kites
Pintxo Bar
Brand Affiliation: Kauper XT

Postby Rainer Kauper » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:50 pm

OK Videos... :roll:

I was in touch with my friend (he's very skilled with videos, cams, drones etc) and we have checked some nice looking videos on the web. I am not talking about those videos where you can see fantastic riders at fantastic beaches with perfect conditions. I am talking about videos where you get info about the product itself. What we have noticed is that these kind of videos is way more work than I have ever expected. You need the rider(OK could be me), you need the camera-man, you need the editor, you need several cams plus drone and you need the software to edit the raw material. Altogether is a lot of stuff as I do not like to have one of these boring videos which you switch off after watching one minute or even less. I am more a kite constructor than a video editor and I the level for nice looking videos is not achievable at the moment for me neither Yasmin. We could hire some people to do that for us, but that would mean additional costs which would make the kite more expensive. For Yasmin and me actually no option. Please understand that we do not like to put low level gear on the market and so our level for videos is the same if we put Kauper XT on it.

I think I am going to take some of the equipment from my friend and make some very small vids if we find the time to do that. Meanwhile I think there will be more vids from our customers on the web if the season starts into warmer temperatures in the middle of Europe.

I hope you understand our idea of our brand. :wink:

Thanks

Ciao

Rainer Kauper
----------------

dan_kan
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Poland, Gdansk, Rewa
Favorite Beaches: Rewa, Kuznica
Style: foil
Gear: FS Soul, Onda 683

Postby dan_kan » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:09 pm

Hi,
I have tested a Wichard-Snap-Shakle moded by Kauper with the pintxo bar on a buggy+kite. The shakle opened twice in less than 5min, so i had to give up with this configuration.
Did anyone has this same issue? Cutting down the handle to 50% will solve the problem? The line on which the shakle moves is much shorter than in example:
Przechwytywanie.JPG
Przechwytywanie.JPG (63.64 KiB) Viewed 1433 times
Before I tryied without shakle, the a swivel is necessary.

Rainer Kauper
Medium Poster
Pintxo Bar

Postby Rainer Kauper » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:11 pm

Could you please post a picture from your setup with bar, Wichard and harness? Your issue sounds strange to me.

Thanks

Ciao

Rainer Kauper

sedelito
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Skanör
Style: Wave Hydrofoil Strapless
Gear: Slingshot sst 6m Peak4 5m and Flysurfer Soul 12m

Postby sedelito » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:57 pm

dan_kan wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:09 pm
Hi,
I have tested a Wichard-Snap-Shakle moded by Kauper with the pintxo bar on a buggy+kite. The shakle opened twice in less than 5min, so i had to give up with this configuration.
Did anyone has this same issue? Cutting down the handle to 50% will solve the problem? The line on which the shakle moves is much shorter than in example:
Przechwytywanie.JPG
Mine released once per session, now I have leash connected to the ring.
But last three session it seems ok, but those sessions were in higher wind.
But depower system is not working in higher winds the knots gets stuck inside and you have to pull with both hands to get them out!
I have shortened the scew tip but maybe the bar needs to settle?
Lower winds the system works fine but wichard is releasing often and it's big trouble for me with single skin kite ending in water🏊‍♂️

dan_kan
Rare Poster

Postby dan_kan » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:48 pm

Rainer Kauper wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:11 pm
Could you please post a picture from your setup with bar, Wichard and harness? Your issue sounds strange to me.

Thanks

Ciao

Rainer Kauper
I suppose that the sitting position is the cause of the unintentional release, but still I do not feel that it is safe setup for me. At the second time I lost my foil kite that flew far away.. at the land with out a trees it is not a problem but at deep water with foil could be worse.
pintxo.JPG

dan_kan
Rare Poster

Postby dan_kan » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:54 pm

sedelito wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:57 pm
dan_kan wrote:
Hi,
Przechwytywanie.JPG
But depower system is not working in higher winds the knots gets stuck inside and you have to pull with both hands to get them out!
Lower winds the system works fine but wichard is releasing often and it's big trouble for me with single skin kite ending in water🏊‍♂️
For now after few sessions i can tell that depower system works a little at higher winds and not at lighter so oposie that yours. It seems that it needs more tension on back lines to get out after knot is unlocked. Need more testing. For now with the low harness I don't need more depower because the bar throw is very long.
These users thanked the author dan_kan for the post:
sedelito (Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:03 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

sedelito
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Skanör
Style: Wave Hydrofoil Strapless
Gear: Slingshot sst 6m Peak4 5m and Flysurfer Soul 12m

Postby sedelito » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:08 pm

dan_kan wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:54 pm
sedelito wrote:
dan_kan wrote:
Hi,
Przechwytywanie.JPG
For now after few sessions i can tell that depower system works a little at higher winds and not at lighter so oposie that yours. It seems that it needs more tension on back lines to get out after knot is unlocked. Need more testing. For now with the low harness I don't need more depower because the bar throw is very long.
I allso made frontlines 4cm longer to get better ergonomics.
But I like the system and his new thinking, I just hope I can thrust this wichard because I loop a lot and have to untwist the front lines, now I have a leash connected to the ring.

Rainer Kauper
Medium Poster
Pintxo Bar

Postby Rainer Kauper » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:45 pm

dan_kan wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:48 pm
I suppose that the sitting position is the cause of the unintentional release, but still I do not feel that it is safe setup for me. At the second time I lost my foil kite that flew far away.. at the land with out a trees it is not a problem but at deep water with foil could be worse.
Thanks for posting your setup. This helps to find the reason for your unintentional release of the Wichard snapshakle:

1) Your are using the old version of the webbing at the Wichard. At the end of 2019 we have released an upgrade of the webbing. We have sent an E-Mail to all our customers. You could ask for the free of charge new webbing release. It looks like you haven't asked for it. Please send us an E-Mail and you will get it for free. It works way better. Here are pictures of the new webbing. Image Image Image

2) But even if you are going to attach our new webbing release this would not protect you from unintentional releases. The reason is your harness hook-plate. To me it looks like your hook-plate originally was a fixed hook where you have attached the double sliderline. This is extremely dangerous and would cause unintentional releases too with many other quickreleases systems from other brands. When the quickrelease moves from one side to the other side on the sliderline the quickrelease could touch the hook in the centre and so the hook could shift the quickrelease upwards and open it. I guess that this happens also with the Wichard. Weather you should use your harness with a fixed hook or you should use another plate only with sliderline, but your current setup is really extremely dangerous. I can only give you the good advice to change your harness hook-plate and you will no longer have any unintentional releases.

Ciao

Rainer Kauper
----------------
Last edited by Rainer Kauper on Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rainer Kauper
Medium Poster
Pintxo Bar

Postby Rainer Kauper » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:09 pm

sedelito wrote:
Could you please also post a picture of your current setup?
With the user dan_kan it was quickly clear where his problem comes from.
It has nothing to do if you are riding in light winds or stronger winds. The Wichard has a safe working load with 1280 kg and a breaking load with 2300 kg. At these loads your lines would have been broken long before.

sedelito wrote:
The knots need some riding hours to tighten. Then they slide much smoother through the bar end.
But there is another important thing to say about using an adjuster in general: When I see kiteboarders using their adjuster no matter if it´s an internal one like ours working on the backlines, or if it´s an adjuster working on the frontlines, they sometimes try to pull on it when the kite has full power and the board has a lot of spray. Why don´t you ride for some meters towards the kite so there is much less power on the kite and on the lines? This makes it much easier to adjust!

dan_kan wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:54 pm
Please check if your screws are not too long. See my posting on page 14 at this thread.

Ciao

Rainer Kauper
----------------

Return to “Hydrofoil”