Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

First impression of Gong M Pro

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
omg
Very Frequent Poster

Re: First impression of Gong M Pro

Postby omg » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:53 am

I'm a bit shocked about the weight of the M Pro setup, on their website it's 3,7kg, and thanks to one person here weighed the setup: 4,35kg! This is hardly in the tolerance error margin. For travelling almost +1 kg is quite a bit when you are always at the weight limit, though for ordinary riding, based on reports, it doesn't matter.

twig
Medium Poster
Style: freeride/boosting/Hydrofoil/race
Gear: Flysurfer speed4 lotus 12m
Flysurfer Sonic fr 18m
Flysurfer Sonic2 15m
North Vegas 11m
Flysurfer sonic race 9m
Ozone Reov4 7m

Moses Vorace 101 2017
w558 w590

Flysurfer Flysplit m
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby twig » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:27 am

Hi

I dont know if this was already mentioned but how slow can you go with the gong m pro Wing? And would you think that the L pro wing would help to go slower? It would probably have a better lowend.

I already have Moses 101mast with 590 + 558. For fast rides.

Then the gong pro m would complemenet me if I could ride slow like the 633.

Thanks

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:20 pm

omg wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:53 am
I'm a bit shocked about the weight of the M Pro setup, on their website it's 3,7kg, and thanks to one person here weighed the setup: 4,35kg! This is hardly in the tolerance error margin. For travelling almost +1 kg is quite a bit when you are always at the weight limit, though for ordinary riding, based on reports, it doesn't matter.
Yup - it's not as light as claimed (with the 90 cm mast). It does seem to be on a par with other comparable alu foils though & doesn't feel "heavy" in use.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:30 pm

twig wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:27 am
Hi

I dont know if this was already mentioned but how slow can you go with the gong m pro Wing? And would you think that the L pro wing would help to go slower? It would probably have a better lowend.

Thanks
I've never used a 633, so I can't compare. I have an LP foil with a 700cm wing that is not unlike the 590. There's a very significant difference in low speed lift between the the LP & the MPro. I feel like I can use a kite 2m - 3m smaller with the MPro.

GTC
Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish

Postby GTC » Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:24 pm

What board size are you using with the M Pro? I just ordered it with a 4'6 Catch 3CS.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:58 pm

twig wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:27 am
Hi

Thanks
I've been on 633 for 2 years. The M Pro has same low end as 633. Perhaps you need to be going 1km / hr faster at lowest speed. It's so small difference, you'd have to have other method than GPS to measure, and I can't perceive any difference. it doesn't matter it's so small difference.
The biggest difference is the starting, I can't really explain it, but it's different weight distribution, a bit more front foot pressure on Gong M Pro just as you are rising out of water and foil is lifting.
It's very subtle, but it took me 2 sessions to adjust. Plus sinking foil was new challenge compared to moses that floats forever on side. Now I prefer sinking foil because I don't have to drag upwind to get it.
Top speed is better, and Gong you can push harder upwind and less sensitive to turbulent water and overtaking waves.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:14 pm

GTC wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:24 pm
What board size are you using with the M Pro? I just ordered it with a 4'6 Catch 3CS.
I'm not sure who you're asking ... & why?

If you are just starting out seems like the 4'6" Catch 3CS would be a great board. I started on a SS Dwarfcraft 4'6". I now use a 3'6" Dwarfcraft. I don't see a huge benefit in using the smaller board - it's more compact for storage & travelling & a it's more manoeuvrable on the water. Definitely trickier to learn on.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:27 pm

Gong now has a new carbon mast available. It has an integrated fuselage - like the GOFoil. The advantage of this is the rigidity offered by a fixed mast/fuse connection. The downside is it's more awkward for traveling. The current alu fuse is 21.5" (54.6 cm) - I am assuming the carbon fuse is the same length.

It occurs to me that it should be possible to construct the fuse so that it is shorter & could therefore fit in a travel bag. Cut off the male part (that the rear wing slides over) & have it as a separate piece that slides into the main part of the fuse & screws into place. This would take 3" off the fuselage making it only 18" (45.7cm) which is the same width as a lot of boards. As that section is some distance from the mast/fuse connection I don't think it would weaken that connection at all.

Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:15 pm

omg wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:53 am
Same for me I jut got a M Pro with 80cm mast I already had the 90cm from the Allvator Freeride anyway 4.2KG with the 80cm That's a pretty big difference they are clearly lying on the weight. Anyway looks like a great foil regardless it's winter here so I won't know until my next trip to Cuba in a few weeks!

DRAZ
Frequent Poster
Gear: OR
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby DRAZ » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:59 pm

They've updated their website to show 4.3kg for the complete 90cm.

80cm w/ Classic M shows 3.6kg so definitely plenty of mistakes on their site.

Return to “Hydrofoil”