Small crack on Groove board. How to repair

Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Re: Small crack on Groove board. How to repair

Postby Trent hink » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:25 pm

The 3mm pvc foam is waterproof and has a layer of glass or carbon behind it so unless you bashed it really hard the core should still be dry.

I would just sand out the cracked parts being careful not to sand into the pvc, then check the pvc for cracks or anything else that might indicate that you need to go further.

If not just see how many layers of glass/ carbon you sanded off, replace them and fair and paint.
If you don't want to go through all that, a bit of epoxy putty will probably last a long time, but its not as good as doing the job right.

Only thing is the little orange bit worries me. For sure it is not pvc foam. I could be wrong, but I don't think it is supposed to be there.
These users thanked the author Trent hink for the post:
slowboat (Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:48 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby slowboat » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:51 pm

Trent hink wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:25 pm
The 3mm pvc foam is waterproof and has a layer of glass or carbon behind it so unless you bashed it really hard the core should still be dry.

I would just sand out the cracked parts being careful not to sand into the pvc, then check the pvc for cracks or anything else that might indicate that you need to go further.

If not just see how many layers of glass/ carbon you sanded off, replace them and fair and paint.
If you don't want to go through all that, a bit of epoxy putty will probably last a long time, but its not as good as doing the job right.

Only thing is the little orange bit worries me. For sure it is not pvc foam. I could be wrong, but I don't think it is supposed to be there.
You and others are correct. The orange bit is from the impact object=my bar. I pulled it out...it all makes more sense now.
These users thanked the author slowboat for the post:
Trent hink (Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:58 pm)

RichR2
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: Airush Ultra 10m, 8m
Airush Wave 6m
Solo 4,5m
Shinn K2 foil
125cm RR custom

Postby RichR2 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:39 pm

Trent hink wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:25 pm

Because the crack is in the rail, the pvc foam sandwich is unlikely to be wrapped around it which is why on the rail you'll only find laminate (double wrapped from top and bottom layer) that's the reason why you will find water in the core and need to remove it. If the crack was in the deck or hull then might be lucky and not have any water getting in.

Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Postby Trent hink » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:15 am

RichR2 wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:39 pm

Because the crack is in the rail, the pvc foam sandwich is unlikely to be wrapped around it which is why on the rail you'll only find laminate (double wrapped from top and bottom layer) that's the reason why you will find water in the core and need to remove it. If the crack was in the deck or hull then might be lucky and not have any water getting in.
Yep. Totally true.

I was just assuming, based on the price these boards sell for, that these boards are a true full sandwich construction.

If you decide to do a "make it like new" repair, then sand gently into the cracked parts but don't go into the foam. Dremmel seems like a bad tool to use on the rail, because the rail is a convex curve and you want the repair laminate to gently blend into the existing laminate.

Personally, on a rail, I would use 60 grit paper on a hard block to removed the cracked portions, but be really careful not to sand into the underlying foam. Then look at the foam... Is it closed foam with tiny voids like you would expect with pvc, or is it made of small beads tightly bonded together like you would expect with eps?

Inspect the foam to determine what it is, then, if it is eps, dry it out. If it is pvc, inspect the foam for cracks, then make a decision on what to do. If the underlying foam is pvc and if the pvc is cracked, then the repair becomes pretty involved and you really need a vacuum pump to do it right.

If the board is stiff and still seems stiff, and the crack is not right under where you normally put your feet, forget all that and epoxy putty might be the easiest, and good enough, if not the best repair option.

Whatever you do, don't use polyester, and don't go just dumping un-thickened epoxy into the crack, because if you do that, and if the foam under the crack is just eps, there is a good chance you will either dissolve or melt the foam.

I'd guess a good repair from a reputable shop would cost more than $100 usd, but probably less than $200... Maybe a bit more if the rail is pvc sandwich and the foam is cracked.

If you really like the board and want to be sure, find a reputable shop that can guarentee a good repair.

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster

Postby slowboat » Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:53 pm

I have another board I can use so I can dry this one for as long as I need to. The cracks are at most I mm deep. Can I sand and use something like this?

75A3A67B-C87C-4F9C-A043-6CD45A1BDE46.jpeg

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster

Postby slowboat » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:23 am

Anyone?

PrfctChaos
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Perth
Style: Wave
Gear: Peak4's, Chrono V3, Skimboards, foils

Postby PrfctChaos » Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:42 am

I would just use putty (kneadit aqua or something equivalent, i think jbweld do one as well) or solarez if i were you. Both are easy to use for little repairs. Open up the cracks a bit with carpet knive and remove any loose bits so that the putty / solarez can get into the crack.

If you were used to working with fibreglass / carbon you wouldnt have asked, so keep it simple with the putty.
These users thanked the author PrfctChaos for the post:
slowboat (Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:33 am)

airsail
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg
Local Beach: Queens Beach North, Queensland, Australia
Favorite Beaches: Queens North, I don’t travel much
Style: Foiling
Gear: Sonic 3 15mtr, Soul 10 mtr, BRM Clouds 8, 6.2, 4.8, 3.7
Lift, Naish and Levitaz foils
Carbonco and home build boards
Ozone and Duotone wings
Naish Hover 95 foilboard

Postby airsail » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:13 am

Hopefully I can be proven wrong but the only reason I could see for using a polystyrene core on a board this thin is to make a board mouldable. I thought Groove were full PVC but maybe they have changed to increase productivity.

RichR2
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: Airush Ultra 10m, 8m
Airush Wave 6m
Solo 4,5m
Shinn K2 foil
125cm RR custom

Postby RichR2 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:13 pm

airsail wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:13 am
Hopefully I can be proven wrong but the only reason I could see for using a polystyrene core on a board this thin is to make a board mouldable. I thought Groove were full PVC but maybe they have changed to increase productivity.
Just curious, but why shouldn't you use eps on a board of this thickness?

thewindego
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Wolfe Island
Gear: core and windego boards

Postby thewindego » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:14 pm

groove.JPG
This is a pic from groove instagram page. Not sure if they add pvc wraps but I doubt it.

Return to “Gear Builders”