Core nexus or xr6

Forum for kitesurfers
Ice101
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Free ride want to branch into strapless riding and more freestyle
Brand Affiliation: None

Core nexus or xr6

Postby Ice101 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:30 pm

What does the xr6 loop like? Is it easy to do? Heli loops and that good on them or would the nexus be the one to go for?
What’s the hang time and float like on the nexus compared to the xr6. I know the xr6 is built for that. Some riding the xr6 say it needs plenty of wind to fly well? Is the nexus less power hungry?

Exal
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 85
Local Beach: Still looking
Favorite Beaches: WA & Cape Town
Style: Wave & Oldschool
Gear: all the gear and no idea

Re: Core nexus or xr6

Postby Exal » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:50 pm

Have no experience with those kites but do you have a chance to test the kites? I did a lot of testing last year and how I experienced a 5 strut vs 3 strut vs open C kite was quite different to what people told me.

leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Foiling around
Gear: KauperXT 11M Falcon
Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m / HL Crave 8m/6m
Slingshot ghost 4M
Sabfoil 1350L,633,699,671/ 83-103 kraken mast / Groove Skate L + Radical / Sabfoil T35
Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby leeuwen » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:32 pm

Ice101 wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:30 pm
What does the xr6 loop like? Is it easy to do? Heli loops and that good on them or would the nexus be the one to go for?
What’s the hang time and float like on the nexus compared to the xr6. I know the xr6 is built for that. Some riding the xr6 say it needs plenty of wind to fly well? Is the nexus less power hungry?
I own xr5s so that’s what I can tell you about:
Heli loops are perfectly fine, works great.

I do have some trouble single handily loop the kite in Eg a backroll transition. It works fine in low wind (for the kite size) but when it picks up I have a real hard time getting it to go round with one hand. For me this is the biggest drawback of the kite. To be honest I have no clue if other kites have the same issue.

I do not think the kites are power hungry, due to high aspect they sit quite far up in the window and easily get you upwind in low winds. Since it really is a Kite used for jumping people might like a lot of power but I don’t think it is a power hungry kite.
Also the top end is crazy good and it really absorbs gusts very good. If you have a gusty area where you kite I would seriously consider it just because of this.

Ice101
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Ice101 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:42 am

Thanks for the feedback.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:56 am

I've only had a little experience with the XR6 and XR5 - mainly back to back against my rebels. However, the XR6 flies pretty nicely in light winds (12knots on a 12m for example). As a higher aspect kite, the power kicks in as you get up to speed but its definitely not a kite lacking in grunt. The XR6 loops are friendly. Like all similar kites (Rebel/switchblade/hyper) it jumps much higher than it feels it should at the low end which is fun.

Its all about what you want to use the kite for. Surfing, hydrofoiling and twin tip then go for the Nexus. Twin tip then the XR6 is a good choice.

TimS
Medium Poster
Style: Freeride/freestyle
Gear: Core GTS/XR
Has thanked: 0

Postby TimS » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:48 pm

I think the XR is great for you, i am more a C-shape / hybrid kiter and have the GTS5 9m but bought a 8m XR too and i prefer to ride the XR now more actually it's just a lot of fun boosting an hanging up there :)
You can get the XR low in front of you with a kiteloop it can be powerful if you do it right but you can also make a small kiteloop.

More hangtime and float with XR and a bit more grunt than GTS and Nexus although i never used a Nexus, surprised by the smooth steering and handling and also handles gusts good.
The settings on the bridle makes a difference in hangtime and grunt (surf/allround/freestyle).

:o :bye:

Ice101
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Ice101 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:13 pm

Which model is that in the video?

Kash
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: Canos del Meca
Style: Hooked in tricks, looping, bigairs
Gear: Core GTS4 10m/15m.
Core XR6 8m/10m
Core Section 3 8m
Carved Imperator 6

Postby Kash » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:18 am

I have (had) Nexus 7m and have XR6 8m/10m. Also tried Nexus 9m. In short - XR6 is user friendly high-jumping and hang time kite. Nexus is universal kite with more direct feel and more precision. Nexus will elevate you to 15-20% less height than XR6, but its better for looping overall and will be better in just about any other disciplines (wave, foil, powered kiteloops etc.) except oldschool surface tricks (because of better hangtime). On the other hand XR6 is much more user friendly for jumps and much easier to land softly (downloops are more soft landing). Nexus will require more skills and better water conditions to get high jumps right. XR6 is much more fun in high winds. The top end is insane on both kites tho.

So in the end it's decision of higher jumps with more hang time vs versatility and precision.

Looping XR6 with one hand is not a problem at all (at least up to 10m kite).. Maybe XR5 had higher bar pressure (cant compare).

Ice101
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Ice101 » Sat May 16, 2020 5:21 pm

From some one that tested both which is the most overall fun? If you could choose between the two in one size of 9m which would you go for? The nexus 2 is out now so it would be between the xr6 and nexus 2 for out right fun?

Ice101
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Ice101 » Mon May 18, 2020 11:49 pm

Pulled the trigger in an xr6 in the end. What setting in the cit bridle in the kite and wing tips is best for old school tricks and long slide tricks?
These users thanked the author Ice101 for the post:
Leon van Bergen (Tue May 19, 2020 10:05 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Kitesurfing”