Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: How to prevent rotation jumping from wave

Postby andylc » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:12 pm

I'm not quite sure hw to explain it but I find it is useful to remember where the kite is going, look up if need be and let you body follow the kite, as well as obviously crunching up your body a bit to keep compact. Or something like that...

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:41 pm

Seems weird to me that the op does not mention what's happening with the kite. For me kite position is fundamental in arresting the natural back rotation you generate from the take off. If it is a small jump the pull on the front hand can be used to redirect your body as well as the kite. If it is a bigger jump I would expect to have room to check the send with a front hand pull that will allow me to check any unwanted back rotation, before repositioning the kite for whatever..... Don't just let the kite take you for a ride, always do something positive with it is a good mind set imho.

If you are just dangling it is easy for an unwanted rotation to creep in. Scrunching up is fine if it is associated with positive control but possibly bad if uncontrolled. Scrunching up will reduce your moment of inertia and therefore increase the rate of rotation, just ask any figure skater.

Eduardo
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere with a left break
Style: waves and foiling (X big-air junkie)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo and Cabrinha kites. North and Slingshot boards. Lift foils.

Postby Eduardo » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:47 pm

Herman wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:41 pm
Seems weird to me that the op does not mention what's happening with the kite. For me kite position is fundamental in arresting the natural back rotation you generate from the take off. If it is a small jump the pull on the front hand can be used to redirect your body as well as the kite. If it is a bigger jump I would expect to have room to check the send with a front hand pull that will allow me to check any unwanted back rotation, before repositioning the kite for whatever..... Don't just let the kite take you for a ride, always do something positive with it is a good mind set imho.

If you are just dangling it is easy for an unwanted rotation to creep in. Scrunching up is fine if it is associated with positive control but possibly bad if uncontrolled. Scrunching up will reduce your moment of inertia and therefore increase the rate of rotation, just ask any figure skater.
I agree. you might be over sending your kite. also, if the crashes are big, then your kite is for sure not just parked at 12:00 so you are steering it aggressively in some direction. if you are oversending, you can try to take your back hand off the bar as soon as you lift off. use it to grab your board for style points.

Also agree with the posters about learning to front roll/back roll. those are super fun and much easier than you think. Lots of other posts on how to do that.

One other tip: spot your landing on the way down. plan with your brain where and how you want to land. this might seem like a jedi mind trick but it works. back in the day when my favorite move was 720's, I occasionally added an extra 180 by accident. what to do? crash? no way, spot the landing and you'll find you somehow manage to twist your board and body the rest of the way.

Youtch
Frequent Poster

Postby Youtch » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:40 pm

Thank you very much for all those valuable advices. I am glad to see that i m not the only one to have suffered those uncontrolled rotations.

I will try to apply your recommendations for my next jumps

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:00 pm

The hardest thing is you need to alternate your leg positions to keep the board on. Light board helps heaps.

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:13 pm

dave1986 wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:28 pm
Learning to perform back rolls and front rolls will teach you the muscle memory and movements required to initiate (and prevent) rotations in each direction. I found the same issue of accidental rotation when learning, but over the months and years of practice jumping it happened less often.

Since I now kite much less often than I used to do I find that accidental rotation (or just poor body position mid-air) is now happening more often again. I guess I need more hours on the water!

Good advice!

When I first learned to kite, my goal was to avoid ever jumping, so I didn't really try to even learn it. However, it's almost natural as a beginner to get lifted on quick transitions with the older kite I was using in the beginning. Eventually I learned to embrace that lift and have fun with it. Then, since I knew how to jump, I became much better at preventing getting lofted. So it's my opinion that pretty much everything in kiteboarding that you don't want to learn how to do, you pretty much have to learn how to do it so you can avoid it.

But you do need to work with the kite of bit as others have suggested. For a back roll in side or side on conditions, you need to learn to back roll with kite movement and without over small whitewater first (inside). Then learn to do that over swell, and later learn both of those (with/without kite movement) on a peaked up wave that hasn't curled at the tip yet. Once you get really good at all of that, and are brave enough to go further, you can try back rolls off of a peaked up wave that is in the first tenth of a second of curling over at the top. For me, with a really strong board, I like to try to lift the water up and spray high, as opposed to getting myself height from the back roll.

That last part is really dependent upon timing and you can eat it and get hurt really bad if you're a little late. So definitely be careful with it. Another safety suggestion is that when back rolling in the shallow water on the inside, don't invert. A snapped line or broken chicken Loop can result in a broken neck in shallow water if it happens on an invert.

Overall, learning rotations are fundamental to stopping rotation, just like learning to jump is fundamental to stopping getting lofted.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:35 pm

If you are rotating off an unbroken kicker its mostly on how you take off. Try a load and pop off the kicker using your legs and torson and not your shoulders and head if that makes any sense?
Rotating your shoulders and head will instigate an unwanted rotation. Focus on that release out of the water. Then look in the direction you want to go. Controlling the upper body, shoulders and head is the key to stopping unwanted rotations.
These users thanked the author plummet for the post:
andrzej351 (Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:09 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:29 pm

Pick your ramping waves more carefully, be selective. When you come off the wave, look where you want to go. Or, in the opposite direction to try to reduce over-rotation.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:34 pm

On the subject of taking off from a ramp, it is possible to lean too far back which may result in the board sliding off and you going into a backward rotation and a lean on the backhand which may send the kite into yanking you to a hard crash. I prefer to feel that I am sitting on the rail (knees slightly bent, not bum sticking out into a poo stance) rather than leaning back. You want to drive all your weight up the ramp rather than have the ramp rotate you by lifting your feet. (Unless you want to reduce height and do a low table top for the fun of it!)

You will inevitably lean back anyway, having the above mindset may just help you control it! Talking proper waves not chop or white water steps!

After the jump spotting your landing and visualising it is important as others have already stressed!

Return to “Kitesurfing”