A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
richy-c
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Gear: Ozone Moses Shinn Best
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Mast length windsurf vs surf vs kite

Postby richy-c » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:06 pm

Im at intermediate level and love my 61 cm and can see myself using it for a while. Im riding mine in quite heavy swell and I enjoy to pump up and down the waves and for riding the shore break. I do have a 90 cm but at the moment prefer the 61 its much easier to progress with for me. Im at intermediate level currently learning foot switches in the turns. I went to a 90 cm and it just felt like i had too much slack to play with when learning the foot switches and the board was popping out of the water more viciously into the lines.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:19 am

Matteo V wrote: Still seems like you're indicating to me that is shorter mast gives you much more control with the only sacrifice being that you have to have very fine control over your height over the water.
I don't think I have very precise height control. I just think touching down doesn't bother me. Its a more "surfy" feel and lets me ride over the sandbars that make our waves.
Matteo V wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:01 pm
And why would a 70cm mast be better at jumping? Wouldn't a longer Mast allow you to get a longer ramp for the pop? Or are even long carbon masks too flexible for that?
Landing tiny strapless jumps. I'm sure you could get higher strapped jumps on a longer mast.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:37 am

I have 90cm, 100cm & 65cm (which I have not used yet). I get the sense that, except for racing, 90cm is the ideal "long size" & 80cm may be the ideal "short size" for kite foiling in waves.

Return to “Hydrofoil”