Gear: RDB, Elf
Brand Affiliation: WOO, RDB, Elf

Re: Woo Sports Updates?

Postby aleks » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:27 pm

cwood wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:05 pm
a99 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:56 am
Can't understdan why people choosing woo but always are not happy because can't have instant jump results :) I using PIQ and no complains as all number instant on piq display :)
Piq is a nice device but I and many are committed to woo as much for the social interaction and on line friends we have made.
I do have PIQ, but I still want to see WOO data. As cwood said, main reason is the social aspect of WOO - I want to know how I will stand against my buddies on the leader board :D . I know that when I reach a certain height, I'll have better chances!

The second reason is that PIQ is not without its own faults. It is small and almost impossible to see in direct sunlight, especially on foil boards where you have to put it up front and look at it at an angle. Hopefully bigger screen can fix it.

Kitemenn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Maasvlakte / Slufter
Gear: North Evo 11-7m / Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Kitemenn » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:35 am

aleks wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:07 pm
Kitemenn wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:17 pm

Like the development on WOO from others :thumb: ...can we do more with the available data too? @aleks Can you see direction of movement for example? Or rotations or loops during high jumps?
Thank you Kitemenn :) . I was able to decode only about 30% of the data that WOO 3.0 sends for each jump, which includes basic information like height, hang time, G-force, and time of the jump. There is a lot more data sent by WOO that I don't understand yet, and it may or may not contain information on rotations. I suspect that Woo's Freestyle mode would send this information, but I have not checked yet.

I like that PIQ has rotation information for each jump - I can see it being useful in the official WOO app session log. However, I don't think rotation information would be very useful in my app, just because of its nature. The main focus of the Woo Screen app is to display real time information about the last jump, and usually you would have a pretty good idea of any rotations you had during last jump without looking at the app :D . If I were to keep the log of all jumps and add functionality to display it after the session, it could be useful, but that would just mainly replicate official WOO's functionality, which I try not to do (not without a good reason at least 8) )
I get your point of view. My point of view is I will not take a mobile device with me on the water to see my heigt instantly, so I am more motivated to see the data after my session. WOO is just very slow with implementing new functionality where I think there are loads of options based on the data...but tbh I don't know how the data looks like and how I would extract the info. Any easy guide how to extract the data to see if I can make it work?

aleks
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Ontario

Postby aleks » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:54 pm

Kitemenn wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:35 am
I get your point of view. My point of view is I will not take a mobile device with me on the water to see my heigt instantly, so I am more motivated to see the data after my session. WOO is just very slow with implementing new functionality where I think there are loads of options based on the data...but tbh I don't know how the data looks like and how I would extract the info. Any easy guide how to extract the data to see if I can make it work?
You can give it a try :thumb: . My App creates a log of all raw jump data received from WOO, along with jump information that I think it represents (decoded height, time, etc). So technically, you are able to review all your past sessions AND look at the raw data (I just don't provide interface to it in the app). If you figure out where rotation information is encoded in the raw data, I can add it to the app screen and to the log. Let me know if you want to try, and I'll explain how to get the log.

aleks
Frequent Poster

Postby aleks » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:39 pm

SENDIT! wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:28 pm
PeaBody wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:37 pm
Its a new device, to pick up a current woo feature... these woo readouts are available on the apple watch and other smart watches.
Is it available for a Samsung Galaxy watch?
There is no official WOO app for Samsung Galaxy watches, but I might write one if have time. I'm currently finishing app for Android Wear OS watches - Samsung Galaxy should be fairly similar.
These users thanked the author aleks for the post (total 3):
Baptiste_FR (Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:53 am) • SENDIT! (Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:21 pm) • Guttorm (Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:01 am)
Rating: 9.09%

kjorn
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby kjorn » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:03 pm

aleks wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:39 pm
SENDIT! wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:28 pm
PeaBody wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:37 pm
Its a new device, to pick up a current woo feature... these woo readouts are available on the apple watch and other smart watches.
Is it available for a Samsung Galaxy watch?
There is no official WOO app for Samsung Galaxy watches, but I might write one if have time. I'm currently finishing app for Android Wear OS watches - Samsung Galaxy should be fairly similar.
Interesting. Isn't the data transfer connection secure?

I think Woo would do well to open source the software. They make money from the back end (servers) that collect the data and add the social aspect. Opening up the application for us to tinker with could mean adding PIQ data into the app. Also, we could write other back ends for different purposes, so my local club could run one on our website, or Toby on kiteforum could collect data and integrate it into the user profiles.

We could back up our data (export as .csv or .json)

Woo could stop developing all the different apps and let the community do that side of it. Save them money, make them the 'facebook' of water/snow data, they just provide a platform to users to connect to. PIQ, smart watches, Woo, Phones .... I'm 100% sure that in a few years someone will produce a small form factor phone that captures GPS, jumps, tons of other data. Fully waterproof, snow, dive, freedive, sailing, all that stuff. I think Woo needs to diversify and make a platform ready for gadgets that appear in 5 years time.

Open source it all. Create an 'official' build, charge people $5 a month to use it (e.g. Red Hat Linux) boom. Future proof.

We use arduinos and raspberry PIs a lot, I was wondering how hard it would be to just make an open source verson of the PIQ. The sensors are pretty cheap and the algorithm could be fun to write....
These users thanked the author kjorn for the post:
Donniehall14 (Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:19 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:47 pm

I used Aleksy's app in Cuba last week and it worked great. It was what I expected the woo provided one to be like when it was released but couldn't get it to work reliably. Aleks seems to have figured out how to lock down Wear OS enough to stop the water from screwing up the screen behaviour. Used it on Polar M600.
These users thanked the author cwood for the post:
aleks (Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:17 pm)

Kitemenn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Maasvlakte / Slufter
Gear: North Evo 11-7m / Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Kitemenn » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:13 am

cwood wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:47 pm
I used Aleksy's app in Cuba last week and it worked great. It was what I expected the woo provided one to be like when it was released but couldn't get it to work reliably. Aleks seems to have figured out how to lock down Wear OS enough to stop the water from screwing up the screen behaviour. Used it on Polar M600.
heard of more people using it with good results! Getting interested too...now finding a suitable watch.

aleks
Frequent Poster

Postby aleks » Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:14 pm

cwood wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:47 pm
Thank you Chuck. Lots of work went into the app. At one point, based on testing and feedback from other users like you, I had to completely rethink and re-program the watch app interface. So far I'm happy with the results - theoretically the display in "Woo Screen" app should stay on all the time, even when it is submerged in water. In practice, different watch models might behave slightly differently, but the app should be stable on most of them.

I actively work with and try to help all people who contact me about the app. All feedback is welcome, good or bad :D . If you have a problem or a question, please email me and give me as many details as you can, pictures and video help too. I'll try to figure out a solution. We can even video chat if needed. Please don't use Google Play Store reviews to raise a problem - I respond much faster to emails :)

Several people asked me to add GPS tracking and speed display to the Woo Screen app. It was always in the plan, ever since I envisioned the app. I'll start working on it soon, so stay tuned :)
These users thanked the author aleks for the post (total 2):
Baptiste_FR (Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:42 pm) • Guttorm (Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:03 am)
Rating: 6.06%

Baptiste_FR
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Normandy
Style: Freeride
Gear: Slingshot Rally (12-9-7m²)

Postby Baptiste_FR » Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:44 pm

aleks wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:14 pm
Several people asked me to add GPS tracking and speed display to the Woo Screen app. It was always in the plan, ever since I envisioned the app. I'll start working on it soon, so stay tuned :)
That would be amazing !!! One App that do it all.
I will download your app next time I ride. Thank you for your hard work !

deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby deniska » Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:10 pm

Kitemenn wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:13 am

heard of more people using it with good results! Getting interested too...now finding a suitable watch.
check out fossil sport..
it's about $100 and seems to work well with Aleksey's app
You can program a side button to start up in unlikely event that it gets reset by a hard splash/wipeout.
the battery life is not great but it will definitely last an average session :-)
IMG_5619.JPG
These users thanked the author deniska for the post:
Kash (Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:36 am)

Return to “Kitesurfing”