ouno
Rare Poster
Gear: Neo / Pro Whip / Wam
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: GoPro Hero 8 about to release?

Postby ouno » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:14 pm

slowboat wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:05 pm
Great video and riding. I love the wide view without distortion. What settings? Does the line mounted camera affect flying performance at all?
Thanks. Yeah I prefer without fisheye distortion too.The fisheye distortion is removed in post, using the GoPro FX Reframe plugin. Unfortunately it degrades the image quality a bit.
The line mounted camera doesn't affect the flying performance very much (with the kite I use at least, I guess it might depend...).

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:43 pm

Here is a short clip of the Insta360 One R. It's a direct export to Instagram from my phone.

--
Gunnar

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:01 pm

gmb13 wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:43 pm
Here is a short clip of the Insta360 One R. It's a direct export to Instagram from my phone.

--
Gunnar
Does the one r with the 1” sensor autolevel or is it only with the 360 mode?

jorg
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Toronto, ON
Style: Big Air
Gear: Ten Velox, XR, Ozone Edge

Postby jorg » Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:16 pm

Has anybody designed a proper line mount for 360 cameras? I think I saw here that somebody 3D modelled it, but not sure he produced one.

jyka
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 85
Local Beach: laru
Style: freestyle
Gear: mixed set

Postby jyka » Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:29 pm

Do you record in 4K? Am I doing something wrong or isn't gopro 8's 4K any better than 1080p?
4K looks even worse in details..

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: *

Postby POACHER » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:46 pm

I think it had to do with a few things:

Your editing software and YouTube'S compression.

I've noticed videos look better loaded to Vimeo than YouTube.

SaulOhio
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mentor Headlands
Edgewater
Conneaut harbor
Fairport Harbor
Simms Park
Favorite Beaches: Kite Point in the Outer Banks
Gear: Slingshot Turbines, RPMs and SSTs.
Slingshot Misfit 132, Glide.
Home built hydrofoils.
Ozone R1's, 17M, 13M, 10M, 7M

Postby SaulOhio » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:05 pm

ouno wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:07 pm
Here is a video taken with the GoPro Max and the U.Go linemount:

Sometimes the arms of the mount are visible in the video, which is a bit annoying.
I've found this alternative linemount which is similar to the U.Go mount but with shorter arms, which should make them less visible in the video.
Does anyone know this mount, is it as stable and secure as the U.Go ?
Nice video. I've been using the Rylo, which gets some nice footage, but its a pain to edit on my phone, since it has no software for my Windows computer. How well does the Max respond to voice commands when it is in the line mount? I know it doesn't work with their smart remote. And does it fit straight in the U-go line mount, or does it have to go in on an angle? The Max looked really big when it saw it at BestBuy. I have that line mount, and have used it with both my Hero 4 and the Rylo.

I'm thinking of taking advantage of their trade-up deal to get a Max.

BTW, I love norcom's design for the Max. That ring looks like it ought to work very well to prevent the lines from getting fouled on the mount.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:22 pm

SaulOhio wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:05 pm
ouno wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:07 pm
Here is a video taken with the GoPro Max and the U.Go linemount:

Sometimes the arms of the mount are visible in the video, which is a bit annoying.
I've found this alternative linemount which is similar to the U.Go mount but with shorter arms, which should make them less visible in the video.
Does anyone know this mount, is it as stable and secure as the U.Go ?
Nice video. I've been using the Rylo, which gets some nice footage, but its a pain to edit on my phone, since it has no software for my Windows computer. How well does the Max respond to voice commands when it is in the line mount? I know it doesn't work with their smart remote. And does it fit straight in the U-go line mount, or does it have to go in on an angle? The Max looked really big when it saw it at BestBuy. I have that line mount, and have used it with both my Hero 4 and the Rylo.

I'm thinking of taking advantage of their trade-up deal to get a Max.

BTW, I love norcom's design for the Max. That ring looks like it ought to work very well to prevent the lines from getting fouled on the mount.

So the Rylo got the same error, no software for computers?

There are almost no "apple" things around here, it is windows or mobile phones, and the latter is useless for big video takes (and again, no Apple things around).

Anyone knows if there is a solution for this now, or we have to wait for a better solution or camera?

I dont need a 360 cam, nor a cam that is bigger and more bulky.
But not being able to auto horizon in post editing turns most buyers off I think, me for one.

Otherwise a perfect idea, where you can get max quality still shots from video, and if you want to make video, autolevel in post editing :thumb:
A win win except for not being possible, only on handheld rare devices...

The only solution that gives better results is a GoPro with the Quark of course, but a bit risky as it can not take water for long...
AND, just as bulky as the Max, when using a Quark AND a GoPro :wink:

This was exactly what we wanted to avoid :D

8) Peter

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Postby norcom » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:44 pm

SaulOhio wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:05 pm
:D Thanks! Unfortunately every prototype I make and break reminds me that I don't really know what I'm doing. I'm worried that on the ring design the vertical line arms will snap because each arm has such a small area keeping the next layer together. Would be much stronger if I could print them flat but then printing everything else becomes an issue. Hmm, I should try making the line-arms thicker. :!:

Trying to figure out strength and keeping the printed aesthetics is hard when you can only do it in two of the three dimensions easily. I've been messing around with a flat mount and straight angles because they're the easiest for the printer to make clean. Straight corners are sharp but rounded edges create defects while printing and they can catch and fray the lines. A professional printer could probably handle this but for the basic home type it's not ideal. Maybe with a finer nozzle and slower speeds but these already take over 6hrs.

Trying a new filament as well, Taulman PCTPE nylon. It's a bit more flexible than the Taulman 910 nylon I was using. Getting some good results but I can still break some of the tabs off on the line mounts with a lot of force. May not be pertinent while actually using it but would be nice to know it's strong and bends instead of snapping. I think I'll make those thicker too...

Guess I'll start over again. This time I'll aim for a thicc-mount! :lol:
Attachments
IMG_1478.jpeg
These users thanked the author norcom for the post:
SaulOhio (Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:16 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

SaulOhio
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mentor Headlands
Edgewater
Conneaut harbor
Fairport Harbor
Simms Park
Favorite Beaches: Kite Point in the Outer Banks
Gear: Slingshot Turbines, RPMs and SSTs.
Slingshot Misfit 132, Glide.
Home built hydrofoils.
Ozone R1's, 17M, 13M, 10M, 7M

Postby SaulOhio » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:22 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:22 pm

So the Rylo got the same error, no software for computers?

There are almost no "apple" things around here, it is windows or mobile phones, and the latter is useless for big video takes (and again, no Apple things around).

Anyone knows if there is a solution for this now, or we have to wait for a better solution or camera?

I dont need a 360 cam, nor a cam that is bigger and more bulky.
But not being able to auto horizon in post editing turns most buyers off I think, me for one.

Otherwise a perfect idea, where you can get max quality still shots from video, and if you want to make video, autolevel in post editing :thumb:
A win win except for not being possible, only on handheld rare devices...

The only solution that gives better results is a GoPro with the Quark of course, but a bit risky as it can not take water for long...
AND, just as bulky as the Max, when using a Quark AND a GoPro :wink:

This was exactly what we wanted to avoid :D

8) Peter
The Quark is a LOT heavier. Mine still works, sortof. But I think its picked up too many salt crystals or corrosion, despite the care I took to rinse it after each use in salt water. It turns, but too slowly to keep up with my kite loops, at least in one direction.

I got some good results with the Rylo, but it has no remote or voice control, and I can only edit short videos from it on my phone. Any recording over 2 or 3 minutes slows my phone down too much. That worked tolerably when I was snowkiting, and I could land the kite on the snow, pull in the lines a bit, and start or stop recording. But I can't do that in strong winds out on the water.

I got the GoPro Max yesterday, and I hope it can hear my voice commands over the sound of the wind. If it can, that should work well.

Return to “Kitesurfing”