Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Covid-19 - How does it affect your kite-life?

Forum for kitesurfers
Jwoo
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: casalava@puntapequeña.
Favorite Beaches: Uncrowded ones
Style: Strapless surf
Gear: Duotone Neo, Firewire, Appletree

Re: Covid-19 - How does it affect your kite-life?

Postby Jwoo » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:14 pm

We just cancelled a kite trip to the Bahamas that was supposed to be in two weeks. :angryfire: I think things are blown out of proportion, but at the same time I don't want to get stuck somewhere, or in quarantine if someone on one of my flights gets diagnosed with the virus. Better to wait....I guess.

Flyingseb
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: La Torche, France
Style: Jumps, curves, speed
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic2 15/11m, North Dyno 17m, Duotone Rebel 15/12/10m, OR Mako board, Homemade TT and Tiki
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Flyingseb » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:26 pm

mike dubs wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:37 pm
If you saw the stats for severe flu, pneumonia, TB and malaria you’d realize. Personally I’m more worried when I cross the road or an out on my Bike. Mike
Exactly, if you see the stats: 30 times higher mortality rate than classic seasonal flu, infection rate 2 times higher. In France, seasonal flu does affect between 2 and 6 millions persons every year: almost 10% of the population.
Personally, every new day, cases are reported closer to home. Company policy now forbid me to travel anywhere. New step would be to be stuck at home, like my fellow Italian colleagues, which I don’t even know how I would be able to cope with, knowing that I live only a few kilometers from the ocean.
Naturally optimistic, I don’t fear the desease by itself, more the outcomes...anyhow, sure it will impact many families in a big way, at least in all the countries that can’t stop the spreading.
Time will tell.

HugoMC
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Dolly
Style: Freeride
Gear: Gaastra Pure :)

Postby HugoMC » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:42 pm

I think the economic impact could be the worst effect of the virus. Listen I know people are saying that it's blown of proportion but places that survive on tourism will be massively affected by visitors cancelling trips. I definitely won't be booking any trips for the immediate future, evening though I was looking at Morocco or Sal this summer.

As a fit and healthy individual (except for my knees) I am not afraid in of the virus but I have parents and grandparents that could be affected which is scary.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:47 pm

It does not affect my kite-life whatsoever!

Even if we get a "lock down" from our work places and have to stay "quarantined" (isolated), we can still go kiting as there we are all on our own far away from everyone :thumb:

We got water and spots all over, so travelling is not needed :rollgrin:

I might die if my immune defense can not overcome the Covid-19 at my age yes, but otherwise it wont affect me at all regarding kiting :wink:

In short: Kiting is a great way to "live" if you can not (should not/must not) be together with other people :D

8) Peter

kiteykitekite
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Gear: Core kites

Postby kiteykitekite » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:07 pm

Dying irl sucks, but the panic from this virus is causing way more harm than the virus would ever alone. Coronaviruses are super common, also known as colds. The vast majority of people feel absolutely nothing with this one. Death rates are way over blown, because infection rates are way way underreported. Most people do not even notice they have an infection they will not get tested or seek help and why should they? There is nothing wrong. You can not stop the spread of this without doing more harm. Masks like seen used will not stop you getting infected. Surgical mask are designed to stop you spreading infection......and then they only work for a short period at that. N95 masks only stop 95% of the virus, they do not seal against your face enough to prevent air leaks. And to add you need googles on your eyes to prevent infection through them.... You basically need a bubble suit and then if you don't decontaminate the bubble suit you will pick up the virus when you remove it.... That is not to say some things are not useful, common methods of coughing into you elbow or something else, not spitting, washing your hands and staying home when sick, will help everyone be less sick for all these viruses including the flu.

The panic and reaction to this is and will do far more harm than the virus.

Oh well time for some cheap flights :-)

alunj
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Andulucia
Favorite Beaches: Viana , Fresh West, Le Morne
Style: Wave
Gear: Duotone, JP custom

Postby alunj » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:15 pm

All of Italy now locked down including Sardinia
All Italian ski resorts shut
The impacts on their economy is gonna be harsh
Also many counties like Vietnam removing visa free travel for Italians , Brits and others and actively refusing visas

Travel is going to be very very difficult over the next few months

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:27 pm

kiteykitekite wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:07 pm
Dying irl sucks, but the panic from this virus is causing way more harm than the virus would ever alone. Coronaviruses are super common, also known as colds. The vast majority of people feel absolutely nothing with this one. Death rates are way over blown, because infection rates are way way underreported. Most people do not even notice they have an infection they will not get tested or seek help and why should they? There is nothing wrong. You can not stop the spread of this without doing more harm. Masks like seen used will not stop you getting infected. Surgical mask are designed to stop you spreading infection......and then they only work for a short period at that. N95 masks only stop 95% of the virus, they do not seal against your face enough to prevent air leaks. And to add you need googles on your eyes to prevent infection through them.... You basically need a bubble suit and then if you don't decontaminate the bubble suit you will pick up the virus when you remove it.... That is not to say some things are not useful, common methods of coughing into you elbow or something else, not spitting, washing your hands and staying home when sick, will help everyone be less sick for all these viruses including the flu.

The panic and reaction to this is and will do far more harm than the virus.

Oh well time for some cheap flights :-)

Agree with that, but I think you are mistakenly comparing a cold which is harmless for everyone, with influenza or pneumonia which kills many each year, if weaker.

Pneumonia/Influenza typically last for 5 days only, but you get extremely high fever on day 2-3 and 4, and it kills quite some every year.

Whereas a cold, naaaah, so what :D

Nothing new about that, its just, if the virus spreads, ALL weaker/older can die :roll:

MIght be a good natural selection, but still quite sad IMO :cry:

8) Peter

wedge
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby wedge » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:32 pm

Waiting for Matteo and Marl.Man to jump on here with conspiracy theories, charts, and videos of "experts".

3 - 2 - 1 -
These users thanked the author wedge for the post:
downunder (Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:23 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:02 am

I'm 64 and many of my kiting friends are the same age, so we are vulnerable, and I think we will all eventually get infected given that in the US there is no real way to stop this virus, unlike what we have seen in China and now Italy. But I am flying to Panama on Saturday to work on my sailboat and hope to sail away by mid-April, so I just hope I don't pick it up before then. Just packed my foilboard for the trip, kites etc already onboard.

UKSurf
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Coast of UK
Gear: Liquid Force impulse Foil, Slingshot SST Wave

Postby UKSurf » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:57 am

Flyingseb wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:26 pm
Exactly, if you see the stats: 30 times higher mortality rate than classic seasonal flu, infection rate 2 times higher. In France, seasonal flu does affect between 2 and 6 millions persons every year: almost 10% of the population.
And the current mortality forecasts are based on people getting the best medical treatment available (respirators, drugs etc). None of these things will be available to the average person when it really hits the population, you will be lucky to find a packet of paracetamol. People need to do everything they can to stop the spread of this virus even if they (wrongly) believe they have nothing to worry about it personally.
These users thanked the author UKSurf for the post:
TomW (Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:03 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Kitesurfing”