Foil Gybe Advice

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
kitegirls
Medium Poster
Gear: North Kites and Click Bar.
Brand Affiliation: None

Foil Gybe Advice

Postby kitegirls » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:10 am

Ive been trying for a couple months now to turn and I fail every time. Ive watched every youtube video twice and tried everything from turning fast to turning slow and everything in-between. The only thing I can do is a quickish turn from heel-side regular foot to toe-side goofy. I can go about 10 or 20 feet then sink. My toe-side sucks and my goofy heel-side to toe-side gybe never happens. I ride strait into my kite everytime and can never get around to toeside goofy (Im regular). Any advice before I sell my foil? Thanks

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Private Kite & Wing Beach d'Epine
Style: Freeride
Gear: *

Re: Foil Gybe Advice

Postby Janus » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:42 am

Do you look to where you are going? Or looking at kite, feet / both..
look where you want to go to..

kitegirls
Medium Poster
Gear: North Kites and Click Bar.

Postby kitegirls » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:06 am

Janus wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:42 am
Do you look to where you are going? Or looking at kite, feet / both..
look where you want to go to..
Ill try and pay more attention to this. I feel that I am. I just feel unbalanced and out of control turning and especially toe-side.

richy-c
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Gear: Ozone Moses Shinn Best

Postby richy-c » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:55 am

Ive just been through this and find a downloop helps. Its maybe because you are not powered enough after the carve to toeside. My wife is having same problem and its because of being underpowered after the turn. Have you seen Rob Claisse vids?

NEkitesurfing
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby NEkitesurfing » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:06 am

Are you riding your kite at the lower performance limit? If yes, downlooping the kite during the jibe would probably help. If you are feeling unbalanced on your foil for some extent it would be normal before you get your jibes dialed in. Because you tried it for such a long time with different foil positions and stances you should change the foil and foil board. Even when your Foil Board Combo received the highest ratings from other foilboarders that could mean nothing for you!
I was struggling with my jibes for quite a while on such high rated gear and I was thinking that is part of the game but then I changed to another foil and board and it worked so much better for me that now I think I wasted too much time on gear that didnt gave me the confidence necessary to progress. Same with the kite...

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:13 am

Stick with your comfy heel side to comfy toe side and back until it clicks. Give it more speed. Not crazy more, but if our sinking after the turn, you need more speed and more practice at toe side riding.

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:28 pm

What are you doing with your kite during your gybes?

Brian H
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Whiterock British Columbia
Favorite Beaches: Hurgada egypt
Style: Foilboarding
Gear: 120 groove skate board 110 & 150 Mhl lift. 9m hyperlink ultra light . 4m 5m 8m peak .4.5m Concept-air wave.

Postby Brian H » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:04 pm

The type of kite does make a difference , use a wave kite or a PEAK 4 in 12kts of wind and learn to go hard off the wind , this is where the wave kite helps , now you are half way there . Next down loop your kite and follow it around. Easy . Now ride down wind toe side and do a down loop again and follow the kite around back to heal side. Done and done.

Sfollis
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Ainsdale
Favorite Beaches: Flag beach FUE
Style: Foil board
Gear: Ozone and Moses
Has thanked: 0

Postby Sfollis » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:22 pm

Sell your foil :thumb:

My guess is your not using a good foil. Go and buy a Moses 633 and start having fun.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:00 pm

This is non specific advice from a guy who does not foil but I am just throwing it out there as it may be of general help.

If you failing toeside it may be because you are keeping your stance to open and riding towards the kite too much. A common cure for this is making sure you have turned the hips right round for the toeside stance, the shoulders can stay open but you must drive against the pull of the kite with your hips or you ride too broad. Although I did not think that this was supposed to be so much of a problem with foils!

At the foot change, it is easier to maintain balance if your spine is straight. If your shoulders and hips are not in line there is a big lump of mass waggling about off the axis of rotation (can be a symptom of trying to keep too low). If everything is fairly up straight there is less happening to upset the board. If you have a longboard skate board put it on a piece of carpet and see how well you keep your mass close to the axis of rotation with some practice foot changes. (Holding a bar can help with the simulation, and you could also try it without a board if necessary.). A little shoulder pre- rotation allows you to keep your shoulders relatively still during the foot change; this might also help reduce board disturbance, particularly if you do not have a lot of speed.

Again this is non specific and may not be applicable to you, feel free to ignore. (For me, if you gybe from natural heelside you end up natural toeside. Then if you foot change you go to switch heelside. Your natural stance could be regular or goofy.)

Regards Herman
Last edited by Herman on Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:28 am, edited 7 times in total.

Return to “Hydrofoil”