Woo Screen App - real time jump display

Forum for kitesurfers
joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: WOO Screen App - real time jump display on a phone

Postby joriws » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:30 pm

BTW, why this is on special offers forum? I was wondering why topic does not show latest threads view... Nobody looks "special offers" under some kite adds. I don't even look at adds, just the topics updated..

aleks
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Ontario
Gear: RDB, Elf
Brand Affiliation: WOO, RDB, Elf

Postby aleks » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:47 pm

joriws wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:27 pm
I purchased this app because of Wear OS support and I'll be testing this with my trusty old Sony Smartwatch 3. I see official Woo app is not anymore installed on clock.

Just out of curiosity, is Woo Screen using also GPS if found on watch? To get the track and the jump statistics would be nice.. It would be nice to have GPX file output with track and jump event as waypoint. And maybe as selectable option because GPS takes more battery..

Or even otherway round, if woo is not connected but GPS is there, offer GPS only mode..

For example for snowkiting GPS speed display, and maybe 2s speed (typical for speed challenges) and kited distance and time.
Thanks, please let me know how it works with Sony Smartwatch 3.

I'm working on adding GPS functionality to the Woo Screen app. I'll add features gradually, not everything at ones. Stay tuned :D .

The main question is what do you want to see on the watch screen during the session - between Woo and GPS there is too much information to fit on the screen. Please give me your suggestions.

aleks
Frequent Poster

Postby aleks » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:52 pm

joriws wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:30 pm
BTW, why this is on special offers forum? I was wondering why topic does not show latest threads view... Nobody looks "special offers" under some kite adds. I don't even look at adds, just the topics updated..
I posted it on the main forum, but Toby moved it here (because it is a paid app I guess). I'll ask him to move it back - I don't make any money to speak of from the app - considering the amount of time I spent on it, I probably get paid 5 cents per hour :(

joriws
Very Frequent Poster

Postby joriws » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:37 pm

aleks wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:47 pm
The main question is what do you want to see on the watch screen during the session - between Woo and GPS there is too much information to fit on the screen. Please give me your suggestions.
Thanks, ok the spec is open and limitless. Sorry writing this with mobile phone so quite prompt text.

Maybe last jump visible 15s after jump, after that display max jump of session.

On jumps if woo-only
- height (last for 15s, max other time)
- hangtime

If gps also then
- jump distance (gps track with hangtime) last/max
- jump start speed (speed at start of jump) last only
- gps speed (1s, 2s, 5s or 10s avg via settings), upload gpx track to ka72.com to check more.
- gps distance

Not all data should be visible at watch at the same time. After landing the jump I immediately checked the watch with official woo app. Woo screen could have last stats could be there maybe 15s if jump is >25% of session jumps. I mean going over wave is not a jump although woo might record it, perhaps basic screen is fine.

Basic screen could be the session max jump height so far, time, session time, gps speed and session distance.

I am not sure if wrist gestures could be used to swap screens when screen lock is on.
These users thanked the author joriws for the post (total 2):
aleks (Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:54 pm) • Leon van Bergen (Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:54 am)
Rating: 6.06%

aleks
Frequent Poster

Postby aleks » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:23 am

Thanks a lot, you gave me a bunch of really good ideas :thumb: ! Let me start working on them :D

I can't promise that I'll implement all your ideas and that I'll do it the same way you suggested - I'll try and see what works best.

One thing I already finished and currently test (not released to the play store yet) is an option to ignore jumps under selectable height. That is an alternative to your "jump is >25% of session jumps" suggestion.

And give my app a try in real life, see how it works for you. There are 3 screens of data on the watch, check them all out, let me know what you find useful and what not. I personally use every field I put in (that is why they are there :D ).
These users thanked the author aleks for the post:
joriws (Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:55 am)
Rating: 3.03%

joriws
Very Frequent Poster

Postby joriws » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:54 am

Well it was all about sharing ideas and views - I am not expecting anything to realize.

I was just thinking that what measurable indicator affect kite jump - kinetic energy which is speed before jump, that's why I added speed at estimated lift-off. 1Hz GPS is not great device to evaluate speed change at load&pop so that could be ruled out. So if watch just displays current realtime speed to check before jump and maybe after jump the estimated lift-off speed it could have some correlation to jump height and how well speed was maintained etc.

BTW, Does woo screen recognize different woo modes like wake, snowkite, bigair, freestyle?

On jump, height is interesting naturally, but should last jump be for ever in watch display if there is very limited space? That's why I was thinking some timed display of last jump and normal screen would be session's best jump so far. With GPS it would be nice to know also distance jumped because that could be another "woo"-game to do.

Session-time & distance is more nice to know to check "I feel tired" situations, not necessarily on main screen if that is too crowded already. Here is what I quickly though on Wear OS screens. I added speed rose because it is very nice to racers to draw speed vector (gps direction & speed) with historical speed peaks. Example of rose is on my own software a decade ago: https://vimeo.com/19379111
wooscreen_wear_os_thoughs.png
wooscreen_wear_os_thoughs.png (17.57 KiB) Viewed 1174 times
--

About Sony Smartwatch 3, wear os app launched and saw&connected to woo3 and displayed jumps at my living room so I think all is set. Watch has only one physical button but you did the correct design that button is used to close app. Original woo software had problems with droplets closing the app because droplets swiped the touch screen.
These users thanked the author joriws for the post:
aleks (Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:57 pm)

aleks
Frequent Poster

Re: Woo Screen App - real time jump display on a phone

Postby aleks » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:05 pm

I spent last day and night coding / implementing some of your ideas (plus a bunch of my own). I need to test it before I release the changes to everyone, but I hope to do it this weekend. A lot of new functionality is coming, stay tuned :D
These users thanked the author aleks for the post:
joriws (Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:20 am)

Baptiste_FR
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Normandy
Style: Freeride
Gear: Slingshot Rally (12-9-7m²)

Postby Baptiste_FR » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:34 pm

Joriws, it is really a good idea to choose between screens with all the info you want (GPS, Jump or a mix of both).

Regarding jumps, having the last jump always on screen is a good thing (and not only for 15 seconds). Sometime you do a big jump but crash or need time to turn, pass waves... and then your jump is not on the screen anymore.

Bu one thing really important for me Aleks, on the jump screen, please keep the hour on (what time is it, not the duration of the session). It bothers me a lot not knowing what time is it (maybe because I say to my girlfriend I'll be back at 18:00 and miss the hour..... ;-)

tomtepops
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Gear: North Rebel 13 and 10
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby tomtepops » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:04 pm

Great news that the app is working on Sony Smartwatch 3! But is it waterproof enough for kiting? Or do you have to have it in a bag or something?

joriws
Very Frequent Poster

Postby joriws » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:17 pm

tomtepops wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:04 pm
Great news that the app is working on Sony Smartwatch 3! But is it waterproof enough for kiting? Or do you have to have it in a bag or something?
Well I've used sw3 for 4 years on my wrist starting with Xensr, once even usb port uncovered. But Baltic sea is not that salty.

Return to “Kitesurfing”