Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

covid 19 closing beaches, any more to report?

Forum for kitesurfers
Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.
Brand Affiliation: None

covid 19 closing beaches, any more to report?

Postby Foil » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:15 am

why are beaches closing using covid 19 as the reason?
flag beach on fuerteventura closed yesterday, including the school and hire centre there, it's mostly a quiet beach in winter,
and the little boat trip to lobos island just off Flag beach, they have just started to charge people as they get off the small boats to land on the island, I thought that was a non inhabited island with a lighthouse and not much else.
tourist trade has now fallen off a cliff,
but now the locals cant use their beaches. is any other place taken these steps as most beaches rarely get more than a dozen kitesurfers anyways, unless its a tourist beach in summer.

one case of covid 19 reported on fuerteventura from a guy who had traveled from Italy.

some beaches are deserted most of the same, surely these are not included,

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Re: covid 19 closing beaches, any more to report?

Postby Havre » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:07 am

I think why is quite clear - better to "overreact" than "underreact" at this point.

Quite astonishing how little the average person seem to understand and process in terms of information coming from governments etc. In the case of Spain it seems like they didn't want there to be any ambiguity about what is allowed and what is not.

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:10 am

Not too sure of the reason in Fuerte, I assume they follow Spain's guidance. I've seen official recommendations from various sports governing bodies in France (FFVL for kiting) asking to avoid any unnecessary activity that could result in an injury. The idea being that the hospital beds are, or are about to be in short supply, and the hospital staff being stretched out would rather not have to deal with accidents that could have been avoided through abstinence. In case of accident it could mean you're not treated correctly because of the overload, or you're treated, but someone else isn't.
That's a debatable reason, but my experience over the last 20 years of kiting has shown that you might really think that you'll take it easy, play it safe, and enjoy kiting with all those good intentions, but the most serious accidents still happen in the most stupid cases, and not really in extreme challenging conditions where you'd expect them. Shit happens, that's a fact.
These users thanked the author bragnouff for the post (total 2):
Foil (Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:16 am) • ReThink (Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:49 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

Leon van Bergen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, Netherlands
Gear: Duotone Rebel 7,9,11 SLS ‘23 | 14m Juice Dlab | Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Leon van Bergen » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:19 am

I have read that any kind of water sports is prohibited in Belgium from March 12, also at open sea ..

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:24 am

bragnouff wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:10 am
Not too sure of the reason in Fuerte, I assume they follow Spain's guidance. I've seen official recommendations from various sports governing bodies in France (FFVL for kiting) asking to avoid any unnecessary activity that could result in an injury. The idea being that the hospital beds are, or are about to be in short supply, and the hospital staff being stretched out would rather not have to deal with accidents that could have been avoided through abstinence. In case of accident it could mean you're not treated correctly because of the overload, or you're treated, but someone else isn't.
That's a debatable reason, but my experience over the last 20 years of kiting has shown that you might really think that you'll take it easy, play it safe, and enjoy kiting with all those good intentions, but the most serious accidents still happen in the most stupid cases, and not really in extreme challenging conditions where you'd expect them. Shit happens, that's a fact.
great point made and understood.
however when a blanket ban happens and it makes no sense at that place and time, ie remote island locations without anyone in hospital at that time needing a bed or treatment then the ban may well be ignored and then we have a bigger problem and local confusion, and trust wavers in the decisions made for that region, many regions do need the strict rules and the population then see its a valid reason to take decisions that restrict movement.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:35 am

Spain has started emergency plans .

This includes no one is allowed to access the beaches.
Canaries belong to Spain.

BTW...influenza killed 25.000 people in 2017/2018...and Life kept normal.

Flyingseb
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: La Torche, France
Style: Jumps, curves, speed
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic2 15/11m, North Dyno 17m, Duotone Rebel 15/12/10m, OR Mako board, Homemade TT and Tiki

Postby Flyingseb » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:08 pm

Toby wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:35 am
BTW...influenza killed 25.000 people in 2017/2018...and Life kept normal.
By the way, this is just confusing people that still don't understand the seriousness of the situation. Downplaying it is what causes it now to spread with more force than ever.
Are you sure you want to be proved wrong with a larger number of deaths, by the end of the crisis?
Influenza is not responsible for overwhelming our health care system, that is more or less adapted to deal with it every year.
Now, in Italy, in France, like before in China, doctors have to choose whose going to survive, and whose not, because they lack of life saving equipment.
These users thanked the author Flyingseb for the post:
apollo4000 (Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:07 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

UKSurf
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Coast of UK
Gear: Liquid Force impulse Foil, Slingshot SST Wave

Postby UKSurf » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:47 pm

Toby wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:35 am
bTW...influenza killed 25.000 people in 2017/2018...and Life kept normal.
This is nothing like the seasonal flu, this is a highly infectious SARS variant that is spreading like wildfire and that no one has any resistance to. But I hope the people outside of the medical field who are comparing this to the flu are right and that lots of people are not going to die....
These users thanked the author UKSurf for the post:
apollo4000 (Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:07 pm)

gator1
Medium Poster
Gear: TT, surfboard

Postby gator1 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:29 pm

Beaches seem to be the safest places to be for corona.
Sun, fresh air, warmth.

They should advice people to wear masks, but I think they wont because there is no stock and they don't want people to use up the supply.

Just a side note: 180,000 people die from sugar in a year, 80,000 from alcohol, 8 million a year from tobacco. This doesn't get in the news because its boring.
These users thanked the author gator1 for the post:
ShaveTheWhales (Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:52 am)

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:35 pm

Normal masks really only works on people that are sick - not keeping healthy ones healthy.

All these sides notes are not really all that relevant. You could always refer to some situation worse and we are therefore just to accept anything that is better than that? Would be rather absurd way of going about our business as humans.

The big issues now are uncertainty and time. My guess is that some weeks from now (maybe months) life will go back to some sort of normal and a lot of people will get sick. Some will then say "I told you so", but the point is that some weeks from now hospitals etc. are hopefully better prepared to handle a bigger wave of sick people - in terms of equipment, how to organised a hospital that will basically have one COVID-19 section and one "normal" section. And hopefully there will also be a better understanding on how patients should be treated - antivirals etc.

Return to “Kitesurfing”