Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Fixing crossed lines while at sea

Forum for kitesurfers
Jyoder
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay (Annapolis area)
Gear: Zeeko bullet Foil and DIY board
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Fixing crossed lines while at sea

Postby Jyoder » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:33 am

I did it today first time with foil kite with my Sonic2 9m in waist high water. I backstalled the kite onto the water LE up. In hindsight I should have put the kite LE down, as when I untensioned the back lines to pass the bar through the front lines, the kite launched and one steering line wrapped the bar. I hung on and the kite flew an arc to side and landed LE down where I sorted it out ok. Foiling, so wind was light enough to try stupid stuff.

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:41 pm

knotwindy wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:20 pm
If you’re that close, just go in. Safer, almost as fast.
While I agree that if it's convenient and safe to go in and there is someone to land your kite it's safer but that's not always the case. The most dangerous part of kitesurfing is the parts where you are on land and taking a kite that does not fly well (especially with the case in the video, where it's a steering line around both fronts) over logs and rocks is much more dangerous than the risks of sorting it out yourself. Really the only big risk to sorting it out yourself is you lose your kite, which isn't a physical risk to you at all. Of course you need to make sure there is nobody downwind of you because it is a risk to them.

Also in this video I would have had to kite over 500m directly upwind to get back to the launch which would have been very challenging with the steering line wrapped around both fronts.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:04 pm

Kite flies the same as usual when lines are crossed. There's a little wear at the place where the lines rub that's it. If you are a new Kiter worried that your kite will crash because your lives are crossed don't worry! This is the number one thing I see when new kiters see their lines crossed. They think they either have to self rescue or fix the lines on the water. Just stay calm fly the kite as usual you'll be fine. If you are on a down winder you or a mile out it's fine you can finish the down winder and take your time the kite won't crash because of crossed lines.

If you are intermediate or advanced and at a spot where it's convenient to do it on the water go ahead and do it.

When recommending to other kiters (especially new ones) always recommend coming in.
These users thanked the author edt for the post:
knotwindy (Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:20 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

espana2323
Rare Poster
Gear: No gear yet

Postby espana2323 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:18 am

Thank you all for the advise.

Return to “Kitesurfing”