Forum for kitesurfers
downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Time to spare, time to change

Postby downunder » Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:01 pm

Correct,

Same here, all standard guys out today and some yesterday.
32C, ideal warm water. Perfect. Heaps of people on the beach enjoying life b4 doomsday. Police not chasing anyone, like in my old country of EU.

Reading other thread is depressing. At the end, the OZ will be a winner just like we did @GFC.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:24 pm

Find it shameless how people can gather like this in OZ at Bondi Beach, these days, till now at least :cry:

https://images.app.goo.gl/hhtSzpcW6Wyfw99m9

But this is off topic and does not belong in this thread, just had to reply since you went off topic downunder...

8) Peter

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:53 pm

Back to topic, nice topic :thumb:

Indeed, always good to look at one self, and reflect, once in a while.

Try to see things from other riders perspectives, no matter how much you disagree personally.

Most things can be seen from so many sides, which is key to understand "how things work" and why we seem so different, eventhough it is much more likely becuse of different ways to "enter", so ususally a good reasoning behind.

BUT, could also simply be a different liking, so important to respect this, no matter who we are talking about (except PMU :wink: )

Respect each other, try to share if you "know" something, and avoid being a "know-it-all" with no empathy to understand other views.

:D

8) Peter

kiteykitekite
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Gear: Core kites

Postby kiteykitekite » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:34 pm

The fact you would be in disagreement with someone is either they are wrong or you are wrong, or you are both wrong :-). If you are wrong then you haven't fully known the other perspective. Experience is great for that, which is having something that is more real. A video can often be more real, as it is closer to experience, except maybe when it is a fictional creation like from Hollywood. It is difficult for most people to accept just words in front of them. Though even with things that are wrong there is often some truth somewhere in them.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:36 am

No, I’m not suggesting you have to agree with anyone, or you can’t debate or even argue. Simply suggesting we try as much as possible to remain civil and make an effort to refrain from personal attacks.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:34 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:24 am
What is WFH?

We were many out today just here on the other side of the small pond, waveboards, wingfoil, kitefoil, a rare sunny day that fit every style, meaning just close to 10 m/s :rollgrin:

Just curious, as always, sorry, about what WFH is, as I have no idea....

8) Peter
Ha ha

So I went off topic?

Just replied on above with my experience from here.

But one thing to remember, Bondi is full of turists ;)

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:11 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:36 am
No, I’m not suggesting you have to agree with anyone, or you can’t debate or even argue. Simply suggesting we try as much as possible to remain civil and make an effort to refrain from personal attacks.

Really good advice indeed :thumb:

Time to change, not only now, but always "seek".

Use experience and knowledge, and empathy not the least, to avoid getting "over the edge".

What I have learned over the years:

Dont respond forever and ever on a topic where you disagree with either just one, or most, "just" because you want to have the last word.

We see some loooong posts, with quotes from everyone almost, and a user commenting over and over till it gets ridiculous and unreadable, and gives us as a community, NOTHING, and destroys the whole thread...
Or something taken out of context, a bad classic unfortunately...

Also, really long text answers, are something very few likes, most dont.

Regarding video, well, disagree video is "better", in fact I hate when something simple is shown in a video, say how you reset a watch or set up a GoPro or something.
Today youtube video has become so popular, that even showing how to simply press two buttons at the same time for 5 seconds, is shown in a boring 10 minute video, yaaaawn and what a waste of time :roll:

For me, a written explanation is so much more intuitive to understand, but even more important, you dont waste time on this, as you can simply browse through and find exactly what you need in a few seconds - that is the advantage of something in text.
Where video is simply the wrong tool.

BUT, I know this is me, as others got it way better with video.

The thing is, I think nothing of above is really good, for most of us.

A simple illustration/drawing, with a few words, can show exactly what it is all about, works way better for most it seems :rollgrin:

But as said, just an example of how different we are, and important to understand each and everyones perspectives IMO.

I love the idea of "time to reflect" on yourself, and how you behave, and maybe, well most likely, change :naughty:

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
knotwindy (Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:03 am)
Rating: 3.03%

kiteykitekite
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Gear: Core kites

Postby kiteykitekite » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:37 am

Peter_Frank wrote: Also, really long text answers, are something very few likes, most dont.
ohdear.gif
ohdear.gif (452.22 KiB) Viewed 418 times

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 92kg
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990

Postby JakeFarley » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:31 pm

It's times like these that bring out the best in people, or the worst. Some may take time reflect on their situation and how they live their life and change for the better, but most will not in my opinion.

fatkiter
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Gear: Ozone zephyr 17m
Switch Element 14m
Ozone catalyst 10m
Naish haze 144 x 45
SU2 Bigfoot 145 x45

Postby fatkiter » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:01 pm

My country ( Greece) is on official lock down since morning. You can only go out if it's really important and justified

I think Kite boarding is a serious enough reason to go out... Mostly for mental health reasons!

Anyway I am still a newbie, it's still winter and I don't think I will manage to drive the 2 hours it takes to go to the usual kite beach because of the travel restrictions...

So my plan is to drive to a much closer beach with a non kiter friend who will assist me with launching and landing...

People do kite on this beach sometimes but it's not a first choice especially for newbies. Wind prediction for tomorrow is about 17kts direct onshore.

I am really not sure if I will even manage to kite because of first time on the spot , onshore wind etc but if there will be no rain I am going to try!

Wish me luck and share any tips for onshore conditions!

:thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”