Forum for kitesurfers
jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Introducing the World's Lightest and Strongest Kites - Aluula

Postby jakemoore » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:19 pm

Both are hydroscopic and hydrophilic meaning the material absorbs water and the surface attracts water. Dacron fiber is PET (same as a soda bottle) polyester. Nylon is poly-amide e.g. PA 66. Nylon holds 10 times as much water as PET and has a lower contact angle with water. Nylon also loses strength when wet.

https://omnexus.specialchem.com/polymer ... n-24-hours
https://www.accudynetest.com/polytable_ ... tact_angle
https://www.climbing.com/skills/wet-rop ... -debunked/

The surface treatments of the fibers make a difference. Most are covered with polyurethanes. I thought the Flysurfer Lotus cloth was especially nice because it stayed drier and picked up less sand. People with dry air and sandy beaches did not like Lotus so well because in those conditions it picks up dust and stained. I'm guessing the dust stuck due to static electricity in dry air. I'm suspect Lotus was a Sil-Nylon but I don't know.

I'm a big fan of foil kites but they do fly so much better when they are dry. I store mine in a room with a dehumidifier. Fly a foil kite in a humid environment and see how much sand it picks up compared to a tube kite when you land it on the beach. Just get wet and they lose some flight performance. Roll em in sand and you are done for the day if its light winds.

To be fair and conservative with regard to the Aluula discussion: the area affected by water adherence to the surface is probably more significant in the sail cloth. I am cautiously excited about the improvement in materials even for the tube. Hopefully it proves a winner and they lighten the sail cloth as well. A 50% improvement in density as Dacron to Alulua in the sail cloth would improve weight by 200 grams for a 10 meter kite new and that is a small but real boost. But I think the real benefit in changing the sail cloth would be realized by shedding water and sand.

speedreef
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby speedreef » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:40 am

14m
Big kites need love too
1_19_20_K_C_Trim_3_Moment(4).jpg
These users thanked the author speedreef for the post (total 2):
iriejohn (Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:24 pm) • Digdawg (Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:05 am)
Rating: 6.06%

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:54 pm

iriejohn wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:29 pm
jakemoore wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:31 pm
If you want a light kite flying in a humid area, hygroscopic materials are a poor choice
Are Dacron or nylon hygroscopic i.e. absorbs moisture from the air?
Hygroscopic (not hydroscopic or hydrophilic).
jakemoore wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:19 pm
Both are hydroscopic and hydrophilic meaning the material absorbs water and the surface attracts water. Dacron fiber is PET (same as a soda bottle) polyester. Nylon is poly-amide e.g. PA 66. Nylon holds 10 times as much water as PET and has a lower contact angle with water. Nylon also loses strength when wet.

https://omnexus.specialchem.com/polymer ... n-24-hours
https://www.accudynetest.com/polytable_ ... tact_angle
https://www.climbing.com/skills/wet-rop ... -debunked/

The surface treatments of the fibers make a difference. Most are covered with polyurethanes. I thought the Flysurfer Lotus cloth was especially nice because it stayed drier and picked up less sand. People with dry air and sandy beaches did not like Lotus so well because in those conditions it picks up dust and stained. I'm guessing the dust stuck due to static electricity in dry air. I'm suspect Lotus was a Sil-Nylon but I don't know.

I'm a big fan of foil kites but they do fly so much better when they are dry. I store mine in a room with a dehumidifier. Fly a foil kite in a humid environment and see how much sand it picks up compared to a tube kite when you land it on the beach. Just get wet and they lose some flight performance. Roll em in sand and you are done for the day if its light winds.

To be fair and conservative with regard to the Aluula discussion: the area affected by water adherence to the surface is probably more significant in the sail cloth. I am cautiously excited about the improvement in materials even for the tube. Hopefully it proves a winner and they lighten the sail cloth as well. A 50% improvement in density as Dacron to Alulua in the sail cloth would improve weight by 200 grams for a 10 meter kite new and that is a small but real boost. But I think the real benefit in changing the sail cloth would be realized by shedding water and sand.

Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:48 pm

I demoed a 10M Roam Aluula yesterday only 10M are available rigth know. The Ocean Rodeo rep said in May they get all the other sizes. The wind was very bad like 4 to 12 knots on the ice with skis so you don't need much power. The kite is incredibly smooth and responsive it's so light it just hangs there in the sky in the lulls it doesn't want to come down it's like flying a helium balloon it's impressive. The combination of a super stiff airframe and a super light kites makes the kite behave like no other kite everyone who tried it was really impressed. Having less weight means less inertia that translate into a smoother and responsive feeling in the bar. Definitively this is a winner!
These users thanked the author Windigo1 for the post:
Digdawg (Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:06 am)
Rating: 3.03%

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:27 am

Curious to see how self launching and landing works with a super lightweight kite.

During launch will there be a greater tendency to slide down the beach? Will the Aluula material tolerate abrasion and scratching from dragging across the ground?

During landing will there be a greater tendency to roll over if the landing is not spot on?

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:59 am

I am wondering if COVID-19 might be bad timing for Aluula kites.

The Australian stock market has just lost all the gains since 2016. Businesses will be shut or working under reduced service. Lots of people won't be able to go to work. Schools are being closed.

People will be less likely to spend up big on a luxury item like an Aluula kite. That loss of 6-12 months of market penetration could make things very difficult for them.

GregK
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Comox, BC
CANADA
Style: Average
Gear: Lift V2 Surf & HA wingsets
Ocean Rodeo kites & wings
Brand Affiliation: started Comox Kite Repair

Postby GregK » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:35 pm

I suspect OR would welcome a bit of a cool-down period.

Right now, it appears demand far exceeds supply, so would give them a chance to catch up with the demand.

kiteswede
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Göteborg
Gear: F-one kite

Postby kiteswede » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:02 pm

https://open.spotify.com/episode/6wu2yE ... FBTxq7nA4A

Intresting interview! Like the point where he was flying with aluula kite on foiling with 5 knots and then doing more hardcore jumping the day after with same kite. Maybe see less specific kites In the future :jump:

Didnt know that they also are gonna make aluula canopy and aluula leading edge bladder.

Dustfarter
Rare Poster
Local Beach: La
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Dustfarter » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:31 pm

Anyone remember the Hellfish?

kiteykitekite
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Gear: Core kites

Postby kiteykitekite » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:28 am

That podcast seems to be for various companies to pimp themselves, much like the kitemags which it is based from.

Return to “Kitesurfing”