Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Corona Virus - Has your country banned kitesurfing?

Forum for kitesurfers
K-Roy
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Balaton
Taiba, Brasil
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco to Jeri
Style: strapless SB & strapless FB
Gear: Fone Bandit X, XII, Breeze V2. and Diablo V.1
FW Vader, OR Duke, Mitu Pro, Fone foil
Brand Affiliation: Fone brand Ambassador

Re: Corona Virus - Has your country banned kitesurfing?

Postby K-Roy » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:40 am

in Hungary, not forbidden (yet) however, me personally, I don't think it's the right attitude to go kite, when the whole Country is asked to stay home, and it could also be a major problem if assistance needed both medically or otherwise.
And I live pretty close to my local spot...
15852119415077372701834499938869.jpg

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Havre » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:12 am

I am not going to try to convince people otherwise, but I got to admit I find this to be a bit of an overreaction. How many are getting injured per day kitesurfing, cycling etc.? That cannot be many. In Belgium a pro cyclist got beaten up for training the other day. I guess that might have led to some extra medical resources needed.

The next question would be how useful are someone that usually take x-rays of broken ankles in helping treating people with Corona? Honest question. If someone with knowledge about their health system tells me that there is a clear overlap in resources than I will accept this argument, but I would be surprised if this was the case.

My guess, and this is just speculation, is that restricting "normal" activities too much will require more medical resources than not. As an example heart attacks increase when we switch from winter to summer time.

If it wasn't freezing cold here I would go kiting (@slide). No problem (I wouldn't if the government told me otherwise - even if I would disagree I would still comply).

For me the only reasonable argument for these kind of restrictions is that people just don't get it. If the restrictions aren't absolute and very easy to understand then people will not behave properly. E.g. closing beaches. Walking or sun bathing on a beach obviously isn't a problem if people keep their distance - but they don't so authorities will have to just shut them down. Similar with kite surfing. If there are 5 people out on the water in Cabarete you are not going to infect anyone, but if there is 6 and then 7 etc. and no. 308 is incapable of accepting there is now too many people already out for him/her to go as well then you get the same issues.

tomato
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sweden
Style: faceplant!!!
Gear: old

Postby tomato » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:51 am

i agree with Havre. People turn into brainless zombies and invent their own bans. In at the beginning China goverment recommended to stay home, no official bans, but people were so eager to do something that they started to not allow other to go out. Somebody takes supervising role themselves and force upon other. I have never seen a kiting injury on the beach in 5 years of kiting, I get most injuries from other more common sports. For me kiting is not extreme sport, just a normal hobby, for others who watch TV all day- I am daredevil.

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:53 am

It seems like most kiters are misunderstanding the biggest issue with these bans. While unnecessary utilization of rescue resources is the easiest to understand, it is not the reason with the most impact.

Right now our rescue personnel, from water rescue, Coast Guard, law enforcement, and fire departments, do not want to have contact with any more people than they absolutely have to. This is actually one of the places that Coronavirus seems to be impossible to eradicate. Everyday these rescue workers come in to extreme close contact with all kinds of people in need, along with violent offenders. And there is no way around this close contact. This close contact also has to be continued through any quarantine efforts.

Thus rescue personnel want to reduce their close contact with people who are not in unavoidable situations. The infection can go both ways in this case. You as a kiter, could give this virus to a rescue worker who would pass it on to many many others they come in contact with everyday. Or that rescue worker all the way down to the doctor that finally treats you, could give you the virus. So where these bans are in effect, please observe them.
These users thanked the author Matteo V for the post:
ScoopZ (Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:33 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:19 am

Thank you for explaining it then :D

First a kiter has to be in need for rescue (rarely happens). Then the kiter has to be infected and not sick (if he/she was sick he/she wouldn't kite). Then you got to pass it on - which doesn't just automatically happen just because you end up rescuing someone.

Of course that could happen, but should we say it would happen once every hour? Or once every 10 years? My guess it would be closer to the latter. If so it wouldn't justify any bans by itself.

pierre.d
Very Frequent Poster

Postby pierre.d » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:32 am

Hey Guys

The coronavirus will ne there for minimum 18 month , the time to get a tested vaccine and vaccine everybody.

Are you ready to follow a kitesurfing ban for 18 months ? Me no, I comply for the moment, in order to support short term effort,
but if this ban last too long for stupid reasons (like the one mentioned above), I will not comply anymore , Kitesurfing is too important for me, and I am sure I will not be alone !

mattii
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Gear: Eleveight fs

Postby mattii » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:37 am

pierre.d wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:32 am
Hey Guys

The coronavirus will ne there for minimum 18 month , the time to get a tested vaccine and vaccine everybody.

Are you ready to follow a kitesurfing ban for 18 months ? Me no, I comply for the moment, in order to support short term effort,
but if this ban last too long for stupid reasons (like the one mentioned above), I will not comply anymore , Kitesurfing is too important for me, and I am sure I will not be alone !
I think that your life is so far more important than your hobby.......

Havre
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Havre » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:40 am

mattii wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:37 am
pierre.d wrote:
Hey Guys

So you should wear a helmet going to the bathroom then?

Taking it to the absolute means any activity should be stopped.

mattii
Rare Poster

Postby mattii » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:47 am

Havre wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:40 am
mattii wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:37 am
pierre.d wrote:
Hey Guys

So you should wear a helmet going to the bathroom then?

Taking it to the absolute means any activity should be stopped.
So....Is kitesurfing an extreme sport only when you take some good selfies to post in your instagram???

mattii
Rare Poster

Postby mattii » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:54 am

Havre wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:12 am
I am not going to try to convince people otherwise, but I got to admit I find this to be a bit of an overreaction. How many are getting injured per day kitesurfing, cycling etc.? That cannot be many. In Belgium a pro cyclist got beaten up for training the other day. I guess that might have led to some extra medical resources needed.

The next question would be how useful are someone that usually take x-rays of broken ankles in helping treating people with Corona? Honest question. If someone with knowledge about their health system tells me that there is a clear overlap in resources than I will accept this argument, but I would be surprised if this was the case.

My guess, and this is just speculation, is that restricting "normal" activities too much will require more medical resources than not. As an example heart attacks increase when we switch from winter to summer time.

If it wasn't freezing cold here I would go kiting (@slide). No problem (I wouldn't if the government told me otherwise - even if I would disagree I would still comply).

For me the only reasonable argument for these kind of restrictions is that people just don't get it. If the restrictions aren't absolute and very easy to understand then people will not behave properly. E.g. closing beaches. Walking or sun bathing on a beach obviously isn't a problem if people keep their distance - but they don't so authorities will have to just shut them down. Similar with kite surfing. If there are 5 people out on the water in Cabarete you are not going to infect anyone, but if there is 6 and then 7 etc. and no. 308 is incapable of accepting there is now too many people already out for him/her to go as well then you get the same issues.
Lung problem due to covid19 are detected with x-rays.....the problem is not an overlap in resources....the problem is that the the major part of positive people at covid 19 are asynthomatic....this means that if you are asyntomatic and you go out with your kitesurf and you need help, you put in risk your life, the lives of those who help you and the lives of the entire hospital ward where you are welcomed.

Return to “Kitesurfing”