joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: GoPro line mounts

Postby joriws » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:26 am

SaulOhio wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:52 am
I got to try it for the first time, and I am very happy with it. I had an uneventful session with no kite crashes or massive jumps, so it wasn't a full test, but I am satisfied so far.

If you rotate picture, there is a thick black bar??
blackbar.png
blackbar.png (162.64 KiB) Viewed 2476 times
blackbar2.png

SaulOhio
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mentor Headlands
Edgewater
Conneaut harbor
Fairport Harbor
Simms Park
Favorite Beaches: Kite Point in the Outer Banks
Gear: Slingshot Turbines, RPMs and SSTs.
Slingshot Misfit 132, Glide.
Home built hydrofoils.
Ozone R1's, 17M, 13M, 10M, 7M

Postby SaulOhio » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:05 pm

joriws wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:26 am
If you rotate picture, there is a thick black bar??

blackbar.png
blackbar2.png
I just noticed that this morning. It seems to be an artifact created by Cyberlink Powerdirector. Its not in the raw video or what was exported by the GoPro Max.
These users thanked the author SaulOhio for the post:
joriws (Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:13 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

CARMELHILL
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Weight: 165 pounds
Local Beach: New Smyrna Beach, FL
Favorite Beaches: New Smyrna Beach, FL
Ponce Inlet
Apollo Beach
Style: Mostly twintip, starting foiling
Gear: Ozone Hyperlink V1 - 7m and 12m (2018)
Cabrinha Switchblade 14 (2017)
Pansh A15 - 15m
Switch x4 bar (2018)
Best Float 33 (2006), Cabrinha Prodigy 158 for light wind (2005)
Slingshot Alienair 2019 with Naish WS1 (2018)

Postby CARMELHILL » Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:34 am

Just curious, has anyone tried melting a bunch of Tide laundry detergent bottles in a toaster oven, compressing them into sheet slabs while still soft, and using those planks as a blank for a CNC cutter? I think it would work, and the material is free, just walk up and down the street on a recycling garbage day.

These users thanked the author CARMELHILL for the post:
chibern (Thu May 21, 2020 5:51 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

flying doctor
Frequent Poster

Postby flying doctor » Wed May 20, 2020 2:03 pm

I've recently bought a Max and I've come across the same drawbacks of the uGo. Although I'm wondering if a 90 degree connector would make it fit horizontally within the uGo for 360 degree style (and invisble mount/lines?) drone type shots.
339D0FD9-3015-42C9-989E-99348A3CC387.jpeg
339D0FD9-3015-42C9-989E-99348A3CC387.jpeg (17.72 KiB) Viewed 2317 times
Anyone tried this?

But regarding the DIY models: great to see so much creativity and skill here. I know I'm not up for the task of making one myself. Are any of you far enough to offer one of your products up for sale?

And on the topic of the Max: the protective lenses flogged up on me and when I removed them carefully I later found some small scuffs on the bare lens.
It was a 35knt day, so maybe abrasion from sand?
How do you guys protect the lenses?

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Postby norcom » Thu May 21, 2020 2:44 am

flying doctor wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 2:03 pm
I've recently bought a Max and I've come across the same drawbacks of the uGo. Although I'm wondering if a 90 degree connector would make it fit horizontally within the uGo for 360 degree style (and invisble mount/lines?) drone type shots.

Anyone tried this?

But regarding the DIY models: great to see so much creativity and skill here. I know I'm not up for the task of making one myself. Are any of you far enough to offer one of your products up for sale?

And on the topic of the Max: the protective lenses flogged up on me and when I removed them carefully I later found some small scuffs on the bare lens.
I've been slacking. I have the latest revision printed (not sure how many pounds of plastic I've wasted now) :lol: and have the GoPro in it ready to go but haven't had the desire to video anything. The beaches have only recently opened up and I've just been wanting to get out there and ride.

Not sure how some sand stuck in the bubble could scratch those lenses; they can't be THAT soft... can they? I use the GoPro dome covers and they're scratched up but the actual lenses on the camera are fine. I've also tried the cheap aftermarket domes and although they have a lower profile than the original they seem to distort the image more.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Thu May 21, 2020 3:48 am

SaulOhio wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:16 pm
Here's someone else that posted a very simple design on Shapeways. I've used that company before. Anyone can order one made based on a design posted on their website.

GoPro Max Kite Line Mount v1.0

ShapewaysGoPro2.png

I like the way he has the line brackets set at an angle so the rider isn't going to be in the stitch seam.

ShapewaysGoPro1.png
I’m quite pleased with the Shapeways mount. Thanks for the tip.

flying doctor
Frequent Poster

Postby flying doctor » Thu May 21, 2020 8:13 am

norcom wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 2:44 am
flying doctor wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 2:03 pm

Anyone tried this?

I've been slacking. I have the latest revision printed (not sure how many pounds of plastic I've wasted now) :lol: and have the GoPro in it ready to go but haven't had the desire to video anything. The beaches have only recently opened up and I've just been wanting to get out there and ride.

Not sure how some sand stuck in the bubble could scratch those lenses; they can't be THAT soft... can they? I use the GoPro dome covers and they're scratched up but the actual lenses on the camera are fine. I've also tried the cheap aftermarket domes and although they have a lower profile than the original they seem to distort the image more.
Sure, I totally understand the desire to just get out there, here in the Netherlands we've been lucky that kiteboarding was allowed during lockdown.

I wasn't that clear in my description: I had the protective lenses on the camera but they fogged up. Camera was quite low in the lines and probably got the camera wet in quite cold water.
I removed the protective lenses carefully and carried on with the session, so just with the bare lenses.
After landing carefully and immediately covering the lenses there was still a small scuff. Not visible in the footage luckily.

So I plan to use the protective lenses next time, and can probably prevent fogging by putting it higher in the lines.
Just wondering if other max users have encountered the same problem.

flying doctor
Frequent Poster

Postby flying doctor » Thu May 21, 2020 8:16 am

jakemoore wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 3:48 am
SaulOhio wrote:
Here's someone else that posted a very simple design on Shapeways. I've used that company before. Anyone can order one made based on a design posted on their website.

Good one, seems like a smart design. I'll try and see if the connector works well with the uGo as it is a cheaper option. But on the other hand: this design might work better with the thick leader lines on my clickbar and it eliminates the risk of lines getting caught behind the camera.

ShapewaysGoPro2.png

I like the way he has the line brackets set at an angle so the rider isn't going to be in the stitch seam.

ShapewaysGoPro1.png

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Postby norcom » Thu May 21, 2020 3:55 pm

flying doctor wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 8:13 am
So I plan to use the protective lenses next time, and can probably prevent fogging by putting it higher in the lines.
Just wondering if other max users have encountered the same problem.
The fogging is because of condensation from the warm camera and cool outside air. GoPros with cases fog up and the domes are no different. There are some ways you can prevent this (search I can't remember them off the top) but none of them are perfect. It always happens after some time and I usually just take the camera off at that point.

flying doctor
Frequent Poster

Postby flying doctor » Fri May 22, 2020 11:06 am

jakemoore wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 3:48 am
SaulOhio wrote:

ShapewaysGoPro2.png

ShapewaysGoPro1.png
To the shape way users: how far up the lines can you put this mount? I have a low V connection (directly from the depower) but want to put the camera a fair amount upwards. This case is tight around the max so less wide than the uGo etc. I'm afraid it might snap if too far upward with a lot of line tension.

Alternatively I could choose for a Y connection on my clickbar, but I've been told my Pivot and Slash kites work better with a V

Return to “Gear Builders”