Gear: Flysurfer Boost 7m 9m 11m
Vantage Vulture 9m
Woodboard Crbn 138x42
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Any Vantage kite reviews?

Postby juergen_90 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:22 pm

foilholio wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:47 am
Interesting brand, data driven! Some new and rare posters here are suspect though.
I can only speak for myself and sry if I do disappoint you but the only reason to sign up and post to this forum for me was that this was the only thread interested in the Vulture at that point and I was seeking for information myself before I made the switch to Vantage. I just thought let some personal impressions, less of a review here to help decide for anyone.

JoãoSilva
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 95kg
Local Beach: Fonte da Telha
Favorite Beaches: Fonte da Telha, Lagoa de Albufeira, Cabo verde, Lagoa de Óbidos, Alcochete, Mitrena - Eurominas, Fuzeta, Guincho, Baleal, Seixal
Style: Freeride
Gear: North: Pulse 6m
Vantage: Vulture V1 12m Vulture V2 7m, 9m and 12m
Nobile: 2HD 135*42.5 2020
Duotone pace 4'2"
Duotone speedester combo

Postby JoãoSilva » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:18 pm

juergen_90 wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:25 pm
JoãoSilva wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:29 pm
juergen_90 wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:56 am
As already promised, here are my first experiences/thoughts on the maiden flight with the Vulture from the last weekend:

It was a day with 15-20kn guests maybe up to 22-23kn max. sometimes but not really something you would be going to try out a 9m kite, just though at that point let‘s see how it behaves on the beach and be done with it. Everyone else was out with 11m-12m. When launching already at the edge of the wind window pulling it up I noticed, that this kite has massive power. So I picked my board and tried it out.

The kite reacts prompt and pretty direct on the steering input although it makes use of ring sliders so that was nicely done. Feels similar to my Boost, way faster and lighter than an XR6 but not as fast as e.g., a Nexus. The bar forces feel higher than on my Boosts even on the lightest setting but the feeling of the kite without having to look at it is great. Overall very stable in the sky and no flutter. In what I will be interested most is how it will behave on the high end with that massive power and how it will be to handle. Compared to my Boosts or a XR6 I do feel the power more directly on the hook at all time. Also very good pull in the downloops. Jumps are very smooth, with good hangtime and a soft landing.

The craftsmanship looks good, and I haven‘t found much to complain yet. We will see how the kite lasts over time but my first impression looks very promising.

The bar is a good standard, nothing really to complain about, maybe I would wish for myself a bit broader option but that is only a personal preference and a simple click-in release would be nice in the future.

Overall I have to say I really liked the Vulture and I am very impressed how it behaved in these marginal conditions. I am already excited when looking forward to fly it in more demanding conditions on the high end in the area of 25-35 knots which will hopefully be the upcoming weekend.
juergen what is your experience using other bars with the Vantage Vulture kite?

Best regards
Personally I only have experience with the Vulture and the Flysurfer bar. There you may have the problem that the lines are generally very thin also at the loop end where I am not 100% sure how that behaves. Moreover it’s also recommended that you make the loop for the frontlines on the bridle attachments of the kite instead on the line ends of the bar which is also not possible on the Flysurfer Bars. There you have to make the loop always on the end of the bar lines using special ring connectors on the kite. However, I am not sure why this should not be working also the other way round on the Vulture. A friend of mine uses the Vulture with the Ozone contact bar v4 without any issues but there the line ends can also be used in both directions, either as a knot or as a loop. I have also someone seen on the Cabrinha bar.

I think most bars are built that way and should therefore work with the Vulture as long as all the lines are equally long.
Thank you juergen_90
Sorry for the delayed response.
I have also question Dylan and he said that care should be taken where the y split happens and I should be good.
I will be using it with the new north bar and I should be good.
There was a small 2 week delay with the first batch of kites due to the corona virus.

Best regards

jyka
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 85
Local Beach: laru
Style: freestyle
Gear: mixed set

Postby jyka » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:00 am

Tried vantage yesterday. 9m kite and 20+ knots wind.
It is a good kite but didn't feel anything special.
I'm a fan of hang time and smooth landings. Hang time was good but I felt it loses a little to the best LEI ones with flat profile and high AR, like flysurfer boost.

juergen_90
Rare Poster
Gear: Flysurfer Boost 7m 9m 11m
Vantage Vulture 9m
Woodboard Crbn 138x42

Postby juergen_90 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:53 pm

jyka wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:00 am
Tried vantage yesterday. 9m kite and 20+ knots wind.
It is a good kite but didn't feel anything special.
I'm a fan of hang time and smooth landings. Hang time was good but I felt it loses a little to the best LEI ones with flat profile and high AR, like flysurfer boost.
For my personal taste the hangtime is quite similar compared to the boost, but maybe as you said with a small advantage for the boost here. The landings are also super smooth tough. However, at least according to Woo I jump higher with the Vulture, and that said and thanks to Corona I haven’t even ridden my 9m in its real high end nor the 7m in really strong winds. So in my opinion there is still room for improvement. That said I already rode the boost 1-3 since it was released several years ago and I really liked it. However, for my taste with the Boost 3, Flysurfer tends towards the bigger companies when it comes to improving the design of their tube kites, mainly focusing on new colors and price tag. However, their foil kites have always been worth an upgrade for me since day one.

What I really like about the Vulture when looking back to my Boosts is, that the Vulture is more stable, no wobble at the bar, turns a bit faster and feels therefore more playful and has more or less no down tendency. Also the multiple different bridle settings come in handy, having even more depower for wave riding and the like.
And again this is just my 2 cent and before one complains I am not associated with the brand except being in the development program and loving their passion and vision!

Werito
Medium Poster
Gear: kites, boards

Postby Werito » Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:49 am

I also took a really short ride with 9m a week ago, wind was ~12-13 m/s gusting up to 15 m/s. Overall impression was that it could be a good kite but nothing super special. I felt nice/easy jumping, good hang time, quick turning and super light bar pressure (too numb for me). The kite is also quite grunty and I felt it was on its upper range when I tested it, pulling really strong to downwind when a gust hit...so, definitely not the most comfortable ride in these winds and this was also why I didn't ride it for too long.

I can't be without saying that the shape looks like some designs from 2015... :D

JoãoSilva
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 95kg
Local Beach: Fonte da Telha
Favorite Beaches: Fonte da Telha, Lagoa de Albufeira, Cabo verde, Lagoa de Óbidos, Alcochete, Mitrena - Eurominas, Fuzeta, Guincho, Baleal, Seixal
Style: Freeride
Gear: North: Pulse 6m
Vantage: Vulture V1 12m Vulture V2 7m, 9m and 12m
Nobile: 2HD 135*42.5 2020
Duotone pace 4'2"
Duotone speedester combo

Postby JoãoSilva » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:16 am

I just got my 12m Vulture.
We are not allowed to go kitting in Portugal for now.
I will give some news as soon as I am able to go on a session.

nabfb
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 80
Local Beach: brighton
Favorite Beaches: hot water
Style: lazzy
Gear: vegas
rebel
rene lehman
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby nabfb » Fri May 22, 2020 9:59 am

hello guys, i need to better understand the idea behind vantage.
if i fully understand , the design is based on a new approach, something like optimising the building by analysing dynamic datas.
in fact we speak about the 2.0 designing process.
But i wonder if it really brings enhancements or not?
i m not a professional, i like kiting and i like the innovations , i mean the real innovation. Sometimes technical innovation is a technical innovation at the starting point but finally becomes more a marketing innovation and it s a really good point from the dealer point of view but not much from the user point of view.
when i take a look on the vulture behind my screen, the shape looks very common. i mean 3 struts, discret (non continue) leading edge shape, dacron at the end of the trailing edge, common shape.
finally , i mean we can't observe innovations on the kite.
the idea to analyse the dynamic behaviour of the kite is really great, but what brings it to the design if we compare to the competition, if we compare to an empirical developpment based on the designer's feeling or the pro riders's feeling?
An open C kite stays an open C kite, a c kite stays a c kite.
Maybe finding the right setup for the bridles and the lines is easyest.
i need to be convinced that vantage is a game changer, so convince me....................

inkvaragva
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 77
Local Beach: Klaipėda, Lithuania
Style: mixed/depending on conditions
Gear: Vantage/ozone reo
twin tip/wave
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby inkvaragva » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:27 am

Hey guys,
Just adding couple of thoughts about vantage kite, I would mostly agree with everything that was posted before (stability, soft landings, nice hang time, overall quality and build)
(- about build quality I have noticed a little tear and wear on those little kite mode connectors that are attached to kite, so swaped them with dyneema line.)

However my question would be what flight modes do you use and for what ?
For me
Basic -freeride mode works best with big airs and nice downloops
Wave mode - wasnt my real favorite as kite was still moving a bit too slow, hardly drifting ( as compared to Ozone Reo which I ride) ( it might have been a bit too windy)
Freestyle mode - works ok for unhooked, more of FUEL feel like than Dice or Vegas
Setting X - haven't tried this one yet
Loop setting ( the B line on 1. Almost like freestyle mode, but leave the tip ( C en D ) in the middle) - in my opinion the kite was still a bit too slow to catch me after looping.

It would be great to learn your experiences on flight modes and which ones do you use the most and for what

Etc. do you get bigger air on big air or freestyle mode, maybe X mode ?
which mode do you find best for looping and how does it feel in comparison with other kites ?

Kiterpep
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Local Beach: Scheveningen
Favorite Beaches: Scheveningen, Rockanje
Style: Wave
Gear: Naish, F-One, Flysurfer, Crazyfly

Postby Kiterpep » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:41 am

nabfb wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 9:59 am
i need to be convinced that vantage is a game changer, so convince me....................
It's a very nice kite, but I wouldn't say it's a game changer in any way. If ever this method of designing leads to revolutionary designs, then that will probably also take some development cycles to fine-tune all the tools.
inkvaragva wrote: It would be great to learn your experiences on flight modes and which ones do you use the most and for what

Etc. do you get bigger air on big air or freestyle mode, maybe X mode ?
which mode do you find best for looping and how does it feel in comparison with other kites ?
I tried all the settings, and I like the big air setting most. My experience:

- Compared to the big air setting, the freestyle setting has more bar pressure and the kite turns more slowly. Did not like the way the kite loops and the high bar pressure felt a bit tiresome to me.
- Nice thing about the freestyle setting is that you feel even better where the kite is and are less prone to make steering mistakes.
- I tried the wave setting one day, no traction at all. Had a hard time getting upwind, but this was also because I was in the low end of the kite and because the current was downwind.
- Wave setting had a little bit more drift, but nothing spectacular. Kite turns amazingly fast though. I really liked the wave riding in cross conditions, I think it's not amazing for onshore wind.

Big air setting is a bit inbetween concerning bar pressure and turning speed.

dewwy
Medium Poster
Style: Freestyle/Wakestyle
Gear: -

Postby dewwy » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:48 pm

Does anyone have their newton bar? Looks like they are using OEM bar by majestik. Design is a bit more simplistic than reedin but same QR.
Would be great to see some real life pictures. :D

Return to “Kitesurfing”