Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

I sold my flysurfer soul in favour of

For all foil kite riders
grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: I sold my flysurfer soul in favour of.

Postby grigorib » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:19 pm

April fools, I assume?
knotmyfault wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:41 pm
FS fanboys are like Jehovah's Witnesses a group of minority people who believe they have the truth for the rest of the world
If JWs drove the progress from figuring out sun doesn’t orbit the Earth, through washing hands, inventing penicillin and being first to launch spaceships - then yes, it would be appropriate to compare Flysurfer to them.

Skywalk (as well as Ozone) have been making paragliders for decades, the wings people entrust their lives to. They have strong R&D and don’t copycat from leading manufacturers. They are the leading manufacturers. Builds a lot of trust into them and their products. I don’t want to talk crap about Pansh, but it’s not associated with “great” it’s associated with “cheap”. Not “inexpensive” but “cheap” and it will take a while and maybe brand name change to wash away all the faulty things they did produce in previous years.
These users thanked the author grigorib for the post (total 3):
Atte (Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:33 pm) • Janus (Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:13 pm) • cor (Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:29 am)
Rating: 9.09%

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:49 pm

SolarSet wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:50 pm
downunder wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:14 pm
Congrats on your purchase!

What I do not understand is why Soul users are so defensive about the kite.

The best kite is the one with the best value for YOU.

And not anyone else.
Not that easy to tell if something is better or worst for you as it takes time to learn equipment in & out
If someone just bought Soul while only using LEI before and he expect to be blown away first time he flys he must prepare himself for a disappointment. If you just tried foil kite and than just sold it after few session... you must be a compulsive buyer.
Wouldn’t consider foil kite for medium to high wind but between 10-20kts it’s awesome machine
The many people I know who tried Souls and ultimately sold them are all experienced foilers who used the Souls for at least 6 months before deciding that they just aren't that great and worth the downsides. Sell them before everyone figures this out and the price of used Souls plummet.
These users thanked the author slowboat for the post:
S2000kitesurfer (Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:19 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:11 pm

Dude I am stoked you like the Pansh kites so much. I have three pansh kites and well they are amazing for the price. Is the soul a kite that is ten times better than the pansh? In my opinion yes. Can't wait to see used souls flood the market I'll buy them all.

Not much for me to do anymore but sit around figuring out what new gear I'll buy when this all blows over. Definitely need a 12m Soul.

I think for the Pansh kites it's especially true that you have to be careful about the size. They are better in some sizes than others because Pansh doesn't test their kites in all sizes. They make it in one size then just scale it up and never figure out if their scaled version works, so you want to get as close as you can to the same size it was designed at.
These users thanked the author edt for the post:
alekbelia (Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:44 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

airsail
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg
Local Beach: Queens Beach North, Queensland, Australia
Favorite Beaches: Queens North, I don’t travel much
Style: Foiling
Gear: Sonic 3 15mtr, Soul 10 mtr, BRM Clouds 8, 6.2, 4.8, 3.7
Lift, Naish and Levitaz foils
Carbonco and home build boards
Ozone and Duotone wings
Naish Hover 95 foilboard

Postby airsail » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:45 pm

I went the other way, had a 12mtr Pansh Aurora 2 ultralight, bought the 12 mtr Soul. The Pansh was good, worked well for my offshore cruising on my faster wing, but it filled with water too quick if you dropped it. The intake socks aren’t long enough and water gets in quicker making the kite unlaunchable. Yes it can happen to the Soul too but takes lot longer.
I lost faith in the Pansh so after large cost replaced it. Maybe the Aurora 3 has longer socks? Only an issue in the larger sizes as when the wind is up almost anything will relaunch.

knotmyfault
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby knotmyfault » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:24 pm

edt wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:11 pm
Dude I am stoked you like the Pansh kites so much. I have three pansh kites and well they are amazing for the price. Is the soul a kite that is ten times better than the pansh? In my opinion yes. Can't wait to see used souls flood the market I'll buy them all.

Not much for me to do anymore but sit around figuring out what new gear I'll buy when this all blows over. Definitely need a 12m Soul.

I think for the Pansh kites it's especially true that you have to be careful about the size. They are better in some sizes than others because Pansh doesn't test their kites in all sizes. They make it in one size then just scale it up and never figure out if their scaled version works, so you want to get as close as you can to the same size it was designed at.
https://www.seabreeze.com.au/Classified ... B3k&page=2

https://www.seabreeze.com.au/Classified ... cevG2%2B3k

https://www.silentsports.com/kiteboardi ... r/kku1111/

http://c.ikitesurf.com/classifieds/49307

http://c.ikitesurf.com/classifieds/49265

http://c.ikitesurf.com/classifieds/49217

http://c.ikitesurf.com/classifieds/49079

and this one is free...And the kite flies in reverse mode !!! For free !!!!!

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:51 pm

Nice thanks for the listings.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:04 am

airsail wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:45 pm
I went the other way, had a 12mtr Pansh Aurora 2 ultralight, bought the 12 mtr Soul. The Pansh was good, worked well for my offshore cruising on my faster wing, but it filled with water too quick if you dropped it. The intake socks aren’t long enough and water gets in quicker making the kite unlaunchable. Yes it can happen to the Soul too but takes lot longer.
I lost faith in the Pansh so after large cost replaced it. Maybe the Aurora 3 has longer socks? Only an issue in the larger sizes as when the wind is up almost anything will relaunch.
Not really longer. Only for a brand new one I guess. With a used one, it is totally untrue that water "just" slips from fabric. It does not from my experience. And than the kite is very heavy.
It would be a simple test, measure the weight dry and wet on used one and a new one. Simple.

kiteykitekite
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Gear: Core kites

Postby kiteykitekite » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:16 am

The intake valve length is not really an issue unless you are in waves, and even then with the longest "socks" you can still get heaps of water in the kite if it gets pushed straight in.

The Pansh water proof coating works well, the fabric doesn't get wet. They don't have permanent openings on the tips, the whole thing has velcro. It can be worth while damaging or removing some of the velcro so water and sand can always come out easily.

Foil kites relaunch very quick and can be quite hard to drop on the water, unless you really push them. It's good to have a setup with a lot of "oversheet" on the bar, which will help you control the kite.

cor
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: -

Postby cor » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:37 pm

slowboat wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:23 pm
I know at least 5 local riders who bought into the Soul hype but all have since sold them.
And I know at least 7 local riders (all foilers) who didn't believe in the Soul at first and now they all sold their tubes and bought Souls. So what's your point exactly? Your very, very limited view on the market cannot be projected to the whole market and neither can mine.

Regardless, it's good that more price-sensitive companies like Pansh are stepping up their game. It's a win-win-situation for all kiters who like foils as more competition between providers will beat down prices and foster innovation. In the end, we are all benefiting.

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:17 pm

cor wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:37 pm
slowboat wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:23 pm
I know at least 5 local riders who bought into the Soul hype but all have since sold them.
And I know at least 7 local riders (all foilers) who didn't believe in the Soul at first and now they all sold their tubes and bought Souls. So what's your point exactly? Your very, very limited view on the market cannot be projected to the whole market and neither can mine.

Regardless, it's good that more price-sensitive companies like Pansh are stepping up their game. It's a win-win-situation for all kiters who like foils as more competition between providers will beat down prices and foster innovation. In the end, we are all benefiting.
Your locals are just behind the curve. Give them some time to figure it out

Return to “Foil Kites”