Woo Screen App - real time jump display

Forum for kitesurfers
joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Woo Screen App - real time jump display

Postby joriws » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:25 pm

Yes for Sports Tracker software with watch you just control the app in phone. That's why I like Woo screen more because if it could be used without phone, like at water I would. On snowkiting this is a bit different.

aleks
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Ontario
Gear: RDB, Elf
Brand Affiliation: WOO, RDB, Elf

Postby aleks » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:52 pm

I was finally able to test max 60 seconds speed metric on water yesterday. It turned out to be a very useful information - very interesting to see the jump take off speed. The only problem is that interface of my app showed jump and and take off speed on different screens. I made some changes - hopefully I'll test it on water soon...
These users thanked the author aleks for the post (total 2):
Guttorm (Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:23 pm) • joriws (Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:21 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

joriws
Very Frequent Poster

Postby joriws » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:28 pm

Yeah that my suggestion of the take-off speed came directly from kinetic and potential energy equations: 1/2 * m * v^2 = m * g * h -----> 1/2 * v^2 = g * h so only variables are v (take-off speed) and h (height). I started thinking could there be "jump efficiency" calculation in %, I mean how well you can turn v to h? Aleks, what do you think? Might be inaccurate due to 1Hz update and Woo's uncertainty of height but still could that be fun or even useful.

I still need to get to the water. Woo screen is working fine with couch jumping on my watch.

aleks
Frequent Poster

Postby aleks » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:42 pm

joriws wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:28 pm
Yeah that my suggestion of the take-off speed came directly from kinetic and potential energy equations: 1/2 * m * v^2 = m * g * h -----> 1/2 * v^2 = g * h so only variables are v (take-off speed) and h (height). I started thinking could there be "jump efficiency" calculation in %, I mean how well you can turn v to h? Aleks, what do you think? Might be inaccurate due to 1Hz update and Woo's uncertainty of height but still could that be fun or even useful.
I can't come up with anything useful. For me personally seeing the jump height and take off speed is probably enough :D .

Tested yesterday again. Seeing take off speed along with the jump height is definitely a much better option.

aleks
Frequent Poster

Postby aleks » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:05 pm

I released app update - look out for version v0.71, should be available in the Play store in a day or 2.

There are a few changes. First of all, I fixed a bug on the phone app where jump notifications were not working on the newer phones. Sorry about that to everyone who got affected.

Also, there are some watch interface changes based on my on water testing:

- When GPS is enabled and the screen switches automatically to Jump screen (after a jump), it shows Max 60 sec speed instead of elapsed time.
- If GPS doesn't have a fix yet (so no speed is reported), Jump screen shows elapsed time as before.
- If you switch screens manually, Jump screen also shows elapsed time (you already have Max 60 sec speed on Speed screen).
- Automated jump display period shortened to 17 sec.

I know that switching of metrics based on circumstances might be a bit confusing - I wish I had more screen real estate to fit more data and avoid it. However, I tested this configuration yesterday on the water and I actually liked it. I think once you get used to it, it is not going to be a problem at all 8) . Give it a try, let me know if you have any suggestions :thumb:
These users thanked the author aleks for the post (total 2):
joriws (Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:32 pm) • Guttorm (Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:43 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

joriws
Very Frequent Poster

Postby joriws » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:37 pm

aleks wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:42 pm
I can't come up with anything useful. For me personally seeing the jump height and take off speed is probably enough :D .

Tested yesterday again. Seeing take off speed along with the jump height is definitely a much better option.
Sure, I need to get own experience with that first.

What I was thinking something like:
jump energy efficiency: 75%
(how much kinetic energy by GPS is converted to potentional energy by Woo), maybe by coloring of speed if no more small information element is available.

joriws
Very Frequent Poster

Postby joriws » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:13 pm

aleks wrote: ..
I got Fossil Sport watch as Sony watch battery was almost finished. I could run wooscreen for maybe 30 minutes and then watch was dead. Wooscreen was running nice and displaying jumps like it should.

I see that Wooscreen seems to display clock in US or in some weird time. 00:10 (ten past midnight) it was showing 12:10, like midday ten past. Can that be fixed/parametrized. Maybe I'll never kite at night but maybe it is a sign of some clock/time issue.

aleks
Frequent Poster

Postby aleks » Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:00 am

joriws wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:13 pm
I see that Wooscreen seems to display clock in US or in some weird time. 00:10 (ten past midnight) it was showing 12:10, like midday ten past. Can that be fixed/parametrized. Maybe I'll never kite at night but maybe it is a sign of some clock/time issue.
12am (like in 12:10) is actually a standard time representation (like seen on the watch face, there is no 0, only 12 :D ):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/12-hour_clock

Parameterizing can be done, but I want to keep it to essential changes only - watch interface is already awkward enough even without bunch of settings that are rarely used. I can check if I can pickup phone's system setting "24h time format" and maybe use that. Still, it wouldn't change 12:10am to 0:10am ...

aleks
Frequent Poster

Postby aleks » Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:41 am

joriws wrote:
I got Fossil Sport watch as Sony watch battery was almost finished.
Fossil Sport is nice :thumb: . Now in Woo Screen app you can switch screens by pressing top or bottom buttons. It is a good idea to assign one of those buttons to launch Woo Screen app - just in case your hands are already wet or you accidentally exit the app on the water. Also, it might make more sense to wear the watch on the right hand, so there is less chance of accidentally pressing the power button and exiting the app.

Baptiste_FR
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Normandy
Style: Freeride
Gear: Slingshot Rally (12-9-7m²)

Postby Baptiste_FR » Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:59 pm

aleks wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:00 am
joriws wrote:
12am (like in 12:10) is actually a standard time representation (like seen on the watch face, there is no 0, only 12 :D ):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/12-hour_clock

Parameterizing can be done, but I want to keep it to essential changes only - watch interface is already awkward enough even without bunch of settings that are rarely used. I can check if I can pickup phone's system setting "24h time format" and maybe use that. Still, it wouldn't change 12:10am to 0:10am ...
About that matter, I agree with Joris. I also prefer the "24 Hours" time format. Not that is very essential, just easier for me.
But still, the app is great adn I can't wait to use it soon!!

Return to “Kitesurfing”