Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

What your most used kite size for foiling?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Crissssssss
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Miami
Favorite Beaches: Varadero
Style: Freeride
Gear: Liquid Force NV
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

What your most used kite size for foiling?

Postby Crissssssss » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:11 pm

Hey guys,
Today I purchased my first foil and was wondering what’s your most used kite size for 9-11 knots. I tried using my 15m today but it was kind of hard to keep it in the air. Most of my kites are freestyle C kites (15m rrd obsession, 13m and 11m liquid Force hifix) I also have a 9m liquid force wow V4, should I use the 9m with line extensions instead of the 15m? I’m trying to change my 15m rrd for a 15m nv which weights less. I know that single struts kites are better for foiling but I prefer all-round three struts kites that I can use for foiling and other disciplines
I’m located in Miami Florida and weight 210 lb

Any advice will be greatly appreciated

Thanks and stay safe🤙🏼
Attachments
9B127F4A-62E9-435A-97B0-62D222252F20.jpeg
B7329A95-648D-4BEA-AE26-130F24CC24F0.jpeg
0DFE6219-9B50-4422-9C9A-66AFA1A6934B.jpeg
Last edited by Crissssssss on Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Re: Best kite for foiling

Postby Da Yoda » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:36 pm

That's a very subjective question, but this review may help you out...

I've put some time on Eleveight's new OS and I really like it's performance. It's not the lightest, but it's very ridged for a single strut which makes it super reactive. It feels much closer to the performance of a 3-strut kite imo.

If 3-strut is your focus only, then the wave/surf kites are the way to go. They still offer good all-around use and some are even adjustable (bridle settings) for more freeride performance.
Airush's Wave and Duotone's Neo are some that have worked really well for me. I'm actually waiting for the ideal conditions to take my 6m Wave out for some foiling. Another one I've heard some good things about is Eleveight's WS. Good luck with your search! :thumb:

wheat
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Local Beach: Clinton Lake, Lawrence, Kansas
Style: Foil
Gear: 5.5m Cloud, 8m SST, 12m Gong Strutless, 633 Moses, 91cm Mast

Re: What your most used kite size for foiling?

Postby wheat » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:31 pm

Looks like you bought a great foil. A large front surf wing is awesome.
Note: there is a separate hydrofoil subthread with tons of info here.

Only on the lightest days would I use the 13 in your quiver. I would try the 11 as much as you can.
You are looking for a kite to stay in the air and generate some pull when you dive it.
Rigging smaller will make learning more friendly. Even if it means rigging twice between your TT/Surfboard part of your day and the foil session.

For me at 190lbs, I didn't ever need more than a 12. First year, I was on a 10m the most. The second on a 7m. 9-11 knts is on the low side, you will get to the point you can rig 1-2 sizes smaller than your TT.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:03 am

Yeah if you are focusing on allround riding and waves, then go for the naish slash. I use a large front wing and never really take out anything bigger than a 7 anymore. I can stretch it to a 9, but definitely no need for a bigger one than that.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:32 am

Crissssssss wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:11 pm
Hey guys,
Today I purchased my first foil and was wondering what’s your most used kite size for 9-11 knots. I tried using my 15m today but it was kind of hard to keep it in the air. Most of my kites are freestyle C kites (15m rrd obsession, 13m and 11m liquid Force hifix) I also have a 9m liquid force wow V4, should I use the 9m with line extensions instead of the 15m? I’m trying to change my 15m rrd for a 15m nv which weights less. I know that single struts kites are better for foiling but I prefer all-round three struts kites that I can use for foiling and other disciplines
I’m located in Miami Florida and weight 210 lb

Any advice will be greatly appreciated

Thanks and stay safe🤙🏼
I wouldn't recommend trying to learn in 9 -11 knots anyway. I would start in the 12 - 15 knot range. You want enough power in the kite for it to fly without any finessing & provide solid, predictable pull to get you up on the board. I would guess that at 210 pounds you should be looking at your existing 11m. Once you have progressed beyond the initial learning phase your 9m Wow should be good for 12 - 15 knots. As you become more experienced you can start trying to lower the wind threshold & at that point getting a lighter kite able to fly better in 9 - 11 knots might make sense. I'm going to say that something between a 10m & 12m would suit your weight in those winds.

At 180 lbs I can use a 6m 3 strut wave kite in anything over 12/13 knots, a 8m in 10 - 12 knots & a 11m in 8 - 10 knots. Flying the 11m in wind that light can be tricky - that's where a lighter single strut/strutless/foil kite is useful.

Crissssssss
Medium Poster

Postby Crissssssss » Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:13 am

So the 13m or 11m are a better option than the 15m? The forecast was good for today but it ended up being super light.

Wouldn’t the 9m with 27m line work better than the 11m or 13m since it weights less and is easier to keep in the air?

Crissssssss
Medium Poster

Postby Crissssssss » Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:26 am

I’m not planning to foil full time, I just want to do some exploring around the bay and ride in less wind when I can’t use the tt

Eduardo
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere with a left break
Style: waves and foiling (X big-air junkie)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo and Cabrinha kites. North and Slingshot boards. Lift foils.

Postby Eduardo » Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:40 am

i have bad news for you. you are going to have to give up the idea of big three strut kites. they are just not a good match for light wind foiling. too heavy as the posts above point out.

we all have to be careful about statements on X knots of wind because meters are often not calibrated, and we have gusts and lulls and currents that vary tremendously. My personal experience is that I can ride my 3-strut 9 down to surprisingly low wind for me. meters say 11 knots. Below that I put up my 3-strut 12 and the difference seems marginal. The 12 can even feel worse because in a lull or in a rider mistake, the kite wants to drop in the water. I demo'd a lighter 10 meter kite and was super impressed and preferred it to my 12. even though less raw power, it is more agile and more forgiving to rider error.

some riders will stay on foil their entire session, never touch down in a gibe, no errors. not me. but once you can do that, your options may open more. So the video's advice about using 6m in 12 mph is probably also due to skill level.

summary: if you make mistakes, keeping the kite in the air is #1. having enough power to get you going is #2. one-strut/zero-strut/aluula are the way to go for your biggest kite. with enough wind and 2nd biggest kite, I am happy with my 3 strut. if you are willing to invest in the foil as a light wind weapon, investing in one more low wind kite is a worthwhile combination.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:00 am

Crissssssss wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:13 am
So the 13m or 11m are a better option than the 15m? The forecast was good for today but it ended up being super light.

Wouldn’t the 9m with 27m line work better than the 11m or 13m since it weights less and is easier to keep in the air?
I don't think it's worth considering the 15m. If the wind is light enough that you need a 15m LEI to foil, it's going to be too light to reliably fly the 15m. But again, you don't want to be learning to foil in super light wind - it will be an exercise in frustration. You want to start in a decent amount of wind, 12 - 15 knots, using a kite a bit smaller than you would use with a TT - so either the 13m at the lower end of that wind range, or the 11m at the higher end. Once you have mastered the basics, you will be able to use the 11m at the lower end of that wind range & the 9m at the higher end.

Once you get a taste of foiling you're not going to be interested in going out on a TT in less than 15 knots.
These users thanked the author Flyboy for the post:
Peter_Frank (Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:11 am)
Rating: 3.03%

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:19 am

There's a bunch of problems with your questions and comments.

As a new foiler you're not even close to thinking about light wind riding. Light wind riding is an acquired skill and arguably doing it with a foil is even harder. It's kind of easy once you've learned to foil, but you have to learn to foil first.

You say you're not going to be a full time foiler, riding only when it's too light for a TT. That's almost impossible. It takes time to truly learn to foil. 50-100 hours at least. If you waste foiling sessions by going for the TT you are unlikely to build the skills to be able to properly foil.

People think they can foil because they can get up and ride and do a few turns. It's vastly more complicated, and simpler, than that. Almost everything you do on a foil is the same as a surfboard, and on a TT to an extent. The difficulty is your control inputs are hugely amplified and can be thrown back at you with a chompy missile attached. It takes all those hours to develop the feel so that you can modulate the inputs and be able really push hard and get a proportional response. Spend the time and it's effortless and easy. Don't spend the time and you'll be missing out on a heap of fun.
These users thanked the author OzBungy for the post (total 2):
taiguy (Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:50 pm) • Peter_Frank (Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:11 am)
Rating: 6.06%

Return to “Hydrofoil”