For all foil kite riders
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Peak4 in 5 m2, truly stoked

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:45 pm

a99 wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:10 pm
Thabks for reviews of course but don't understand why you created new topic of Peak4 if such main topic about peak4 already exist and you saw it clear before and see now. Better to post everything in that topic and in otehr cases lot of information defragmentations goes.

Sorry bout that, but I never read this Foil Kites section at all...

Was asked specifically by a handful of forum users, to give my evaluation as they knew I had ordered the Peak4s, and so I did.

Can see there is a loooong thread about Peak kites now, did not know that either :roll:

Prefer the hydrofoil section, as in here it gets tricky whether you write about kitefoiling or other boards, and they got nothing in common whatsoever, always confusing.
Had to edit my post here, and note it was regarding hydrofoiling - to avoid this.

8) Peter

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:24 pm

Huib wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:00 pm
Why don't you buy a 8m2 Peak for even better low end instead of a 4m2?
I thought that you always used a 170cm2 stab for the Ketos but I see you have now a bigger one (carver?).

I dont know if the bigger sizes work well for this, compared to other kite types?

But everyone has extremely good experiences with the 5 m2 and smaller.

Regarding Ketos and my stabs, I got at least two stabs, one is the small 175 cm2 yes, mounted on the flyer with the KOOL1200 wing, almost always.

And the flyer with either the WaveXL or Kruiser, has a 233 cm2 stab - the one you see in the picture.
It is not the carver, but an older small stab.

A lot faster to change flyer, just one screw and thats it, so I do this often.

Or one can mount two full foils with each their wing, so jump ashore and change if you like, or the wind changes :thumb:

Luxury I know, but why not when you got the gear? :naughty:

8) Peter

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:24 pm

Nice review Peter. It seems that for you 10 knots was sufficient to use the 5m. The question remains: is it worth it to have a 8m, given that some people seem to think that the performance of the Peak4 is less impressive (relatively) in the larger sizes?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:40 pm

I dont know Flyboy, about bigger than 5 m2, others must chime in on this.

For my 5 m2 just possible in 10 knots with a big higher AR wing, but on the very limit.

Would call 11 to 12 knots the practical lowend where you for sure can start @78 kg.

Was out today in 12 to 15 knots on flattish water, with a 1200 cm2 wing as I did not think it was that windy, and it was mounted on the mast...

Worked fine, but as said in many posts, went ashore and changed to my 790 cm2 WaveXL as a lot more fun when no waves, and also to see how it worked with the Peak4 as I had only used it with light wind wing or surf wing, not an allround wave wing.

Worked really well, no need to use big wings with the Peak :rollgrin:

But of course, in these conditions any other kite could also work just fine, as you dont need the drift nor depower as much as when playing around in waves :wink:

Good thing though, is the fast setup and packdown - I have been spoiled now and it takes a lot of effort, to even think about pumping a kite up, or taking a regular double skin foil kite ha haa, will see how it goes in the long run.

8) Peter

jatem
Medium Poster
Local Beach: NZ
Style: Foil
Gear: J Shapes Pocket Board and Prone Board
Axis ART 999 foil with ultrashort fuse and HA 400 tail
Flysurfer Peak4 in 3m, 4m, 5m
Tow boogie

Postby jatem » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:22 pm

Flyboy wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:24 pm
Nice review Peter. It seems that for you 10 knots was sufficient to use the 5m. The question remains: is it worth it to have a 8m, given that some people seem to think that the performance of the Peak4 is less impressive (relatively) in the larger sizes?
The 5m is a good size to start with.

I held off for 6 months on buying an 8m, because people proposed it wouldn't be any good in light wind. I should have bought it earlier. I use it heaps, and I'm nicely powered from around 9 knots. It's a great size for days when the wind is below 13 knots, and it floats like magic in the lulls. If you have the 3,4 and 5m peak already, then it's a good addition to your quiver.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:40 pm

Maybe I will reevaluate my opinion about 8 - but i have 9m Kitech FRS.
Biggest peak advantage is for sure drift and in lower wind you just cannot go faster than wind - no matter how good Peaks are. I will do Peak4 8 vs FRS 9 test one more time.
5,4,3, are nobrainer sizes.

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:29 pm

jatem wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:22 pm
Flyboy wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:24 pm
The 5m is a good size to start with.

I held off for 6 months on buying an 8m, because people proposed it wouldn't be any good in light wind. I should have bought it earlier. I use it heaps, and I'm nicely powered from around 9 knots. It's a great size for days when the wind is below 13 knots, and it floats like magic in the lulls. If you have the 3,4 and 5m peak already, then it's a good addition to your quiver.
Thanks @jatem for inciting me to get into Peak territory last season!
8m still does the job very well for me in light winds. Not extreme light winds possibly, but in the 8-12kts range, it just works. Not a race machine, for sure, but it flies well, is responsive and it pulls when needed. Of course you can't really compare with conditions like 15kts on the 5m, but if you have your expectations right, it's a trustworthy addition to the quiver. In hindsight, in over 6 months, I never had a session where the 8m wasn't enough, if it looks like there's a bit of wind, hint of a whitecap here and there, bit of movement in my local trees, enough to make me think about going kiting, then it'll work. The year before I spent more time assessing if my 12m LEI would stay flying at the edge of window, trying to decide if it was windy enough or too risky to try. Whenever I tried to go out with the Peak, it ended up working. I've had times when the wind dropped, and I couldn't get on the board or foil anymore, but the kite would still stay airborne, and could be looped easily all the way to the shore. Never got it wet yet.
These users thanked the author bragnouff for the post (total 2):
a99 (Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:41 am) • Flyboy (Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:53 am)
Rating: 6.06%

jatem
Medium Poster
Local Beach: NZ
Style: Foil
Gear: J Shapes Pocket Board and Prone Board
Axis ART 999 foil with ultrashort fuse and HA 400 tail
Flysurfer Peak4 in 3m, 4m, 5m
Tow boogie

Postby jatem » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:54 am

tomtom wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:40 pm
Maybe I will reevaluate my opinion about 8 - but i have 9m Kitech FRS.
Biggest peak advantage is for sure drift and in lower wind you just cannot go faster than wind - no matter how good Peaks are. I will do Peak4 8 vs FRS 9 test one more time.
5,4,3, are nobrainer sizes.
Yeah, I totally agree the drift isn't the same when you're foiling in 10 knots, and riding swell in the 8m isn't as easy as the small sizes. But I love the peace of mind that it's going to hang in the air, it pulls you along well, and still turns nicely if you yank the bar. I have fun riding in 10 knots with the 8m. The FRS is probably good in similar wind, but most other kites are either as slow as a zepellin or they fall out of the sky. As Bragnouff mentioned, you're very likely to be able to fly the peak 8m back to shore even when the wind dies.

I used to outrun the 8m on gybes occasionally at the low end, and collapse it into a heap. I found if I sheet the bar in hard when the lines are going slack, it'll usually hold it's shape.

ice
Medium Poster

Postby ice » Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:30 am

bragnouff wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:29 pm
8m still does the job very well for me in light winds. Not extreme light winds possibly, but in the 8-12kts range, it just works.
Your weight and foil board and wing please?

I have the 5m and am considering the 8m.

ice
Medium Poster

Postby ice » Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:32 am

jatem wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:22 pm
Your weight and foil board and wing please?

Return to “Foil Kites”