Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

The Duotone Wing

Forum for wing surfers
ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Re: The Duotone Wing

Postby ronnie » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:25 pm

Video using the 2020 Duotone ECHO wing, and at one point you can see someone using the Duotone UNIT wing which has a strut instead of a boom.

Another type of waterstart - like a kiting waterstart.

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby cglazier » Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:54 pm

at 6:51
Attachments
Capture.JPG

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Thu May 07, 2020 8:08 am

Dave K
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Outer Banks
Style: Knee friendly strapless kite/wing foil
Gear: 10 m Airush Ultra / 7M Switch Helium, 5M RRD Passion, 120cm Groove Skate. Duotone Slick SLS 6/5/4/3m, Cabrinha Code 5’0”/78l wing board, Gong Veloce V2 L, XL., XXL, Gong Fluid V2 L, pro Fluid 42cm/freestyle 44 stabilizers, Gong HM 85cm V2 carbon mast, 75cm Al mast. Foil Drive + and 40L slingshot prone foil board

Postby Dave K » Fri May 08, 2020 11:08 am

ronnie wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 8:08 am
The DUOTONE ECHO wing. 5m

https://www.instagram.com/tv/B_paA2liZX ... roaicj26lq
Klaas is also riding a new high aspect 1250 sq cm Fanatic wing foil in that video. Also comes in 1500 and 1750 sizes.

He was out with the 1750 and a 6m Echo in some pretty light wind,....but he has super wing foiling skills

izaan
Rare Poster
Gear: Slingshot SST Wave
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby izaan » Sat May 09, 2020 1:29 am

The quality of this duotone wing is not very good. It broke while demoing :roll:

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat May 09, 2020 8:36 am

izaan wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 1:29 am
The quality of this duotone wing is not very good. It broke while demoing :roll:

Sounds odd...

The first Duotone wing is virtually indestructible, so odd if the Echo should be bad :wink:

What happened?

8) Peter

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Fri May 29, 2020 9:59 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 8:36 am
Sounds odd...
The first Duotone wing is virtually indestructible, so odd if the Echo should be bad :wink:
Hi Peter,
I also would say Duotone wing v1 and echo (v2) are kept simple but seem to be pretty stable but have too low experience with tube kites to evaluate. Just had two little bladder holes in the old 5 m² but to me it looked like a shell in the tube has been the reason so not the fault of duotone.

I have writen a very small test about the new ECHO here:
https://kj4l.com/?p=239
Kitejunkie wing tack.jpg
These users thanked the author Horst Sergio for the post:
Peter_Frank (Fri May 29, 2020 7:10 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Fri May 29, 2020 4:39 pm

Horst Sergio wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 9:59 am
Peter_Frank wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 8:36 am
Sounds odd...
Hi Peter,
I also would say Duotone wing v1 and echo (v2) are kept simple but seem to be pretty stable but have too low experience with tube kites to evaluate. Just had two little bladder holes in the old 5 m² but to me it looked like a shell in the tube has been the reason so not the fault of duotone.

I have writen a very small test about the new ECHO here:
https://kj4l.com/?p=239
Kitejunkie wing tack.jpg
Hi Horst,
You seem to be saying you can't trim the wing by lengthening the boom - as you could with the previous wing?

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Fri May 29, 2020 7:53 pm

Hi Ronnie,
no, you can trim the wing by elongating the boom similar as in the past and you can even do this on the water, but it is less effectiv in my eyes, as the string with its two pulleys if attatched doesn't change its position and so also the profile especially in the center of the wings stays similar after boom trim.

To make it the same or even more effectiv to me it is necessary to hang out at least the back pulley or to change strings tension, which would be easily adaptibl with a trimmer on strings connection to the front tube. I think when I buy one this will be a mod I would do to have better trimability even during flight and not just in the water.

But if my thoughts are right I also understand duotone why they might have decide against one of those extra solutions like a trimer, as it would make it and look like more tinkering. But maybe there are even better solutions as a string tension control by a little hook into booms open fixing holes with micro lever for displacing near the elongation mechanism ... but has to be tested in praxis ... but wouldn't wonder if they offer something like that one day as upgrade, for those who like to tinker a bit. :D

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Fri May 29, 2020 8:40 pm

Horst Sergio wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 7:53 pm
Hi Ronnie,
no, you can trim the wing by elongating the boom similar as in the past and you can even do this on the water, but it is less effectiv in my eyes, as the string with its two pulleys if attatched doesn't change its position and so also the profile especially in the center of the wings stays similar after boom trim.

To make it the same or even more effectiv to me it is necessary to hang out at least the back pulley or to change strings tension, which would be easily adaptibl with a trimmer on strings connection to the front tube. I think when I buy one this will be a mod I would do to have better trimability even during flight and not just in the water.

But if my thoughts are right I also understand duotone why they might have decide against one of those extra solutions like a trimer, as it would make it and look like more tinkering. But maybe there are even better solutions as a string tension control by a little hook into booms open fixing holes with micro lever for displacing near the elongation mechanism ... but has to be tested in praxis ... but wouldn't wonder if they offer something like that one day as upgrade, for those who like to tinker a bit. :D
Thanks Horst!

The previous single batten would have a quite different effect to the two half battens too.
I think you mentioned that you knew about Klaas saying that they press on the string with the rear hand to depower the wing?

Return to “Wingsurfing”