Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m
Brand Affiliation: None

Gong veloce wings

Postby TomW » Sun May 03, 2020 10:14 pm

Just saw the new Gong Veloce wings. My wishes have been granted !! The Veloce M with stab will definitely be ordered.
They look exactly like what I'm after.

AndersP
Frequent Poster
Gear: Foil and Mutant

Re: Gong veloce wings

Postby AndersP » Mon May 04, 2020 5:49 pm

I have the original Gong 712cm2 wing, never used.
It is very thin too, so kind of a Veloce small.
Maybe I should try it now when fast wings are hot again!

My wings will be a nice little quiver.
Fast Original 712cm2
Medium Surf pro M 1100
Slow Surf M (Lift)1500

I'll run them all on the original kitefuselage with the original stab. The larger wings are modded to fit the fuselage.

Dave K
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Outer Banks
Style: Knee friendly strapless kite/wing foil
Gear: 10 m Airush Ultra / 7M Switch Helium, 5M RRD Passion, 120cm Groove Skate. Duotone Slick SLS 6/5/4/3m, Cabrinha Code 5’0”/78l wing board, Gong Veloce V2 L, XL., XXL, Gong Fluid V2 L, pro Fluid 42cm/freestyle 44 stabilizers, Gong HM 85cm V2 carbon mast, 75cm Al mast. Foil Drive + and 40L slingshot prone foil board

Postby Dave K » Thu May 07, 2020 1:36 am

Looking forward to trying the Veloce XL and L for winging. Currently using an XL pro for wing foiling. It is very well balanced (great high end and low end, and still easy to carve). Extremely underrated compared to popular brands sold through dealers
These users thanked the author Dave K for the post:
omg (Thu May 07, 2020 6:27 am)
Rating: 3.03%

omg
Very Frequent Poster

Postby omg » Thu May 07, 2020 6:28 am

Dave K wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 1:36 am
Looking forward to trying the Veloce XL and L for winging. Currently using an XL pro for wing foiling. It is very well balanced (great high end and low end, and still easy to carve). Extremely underrated compared to popular brands sold through dealers
How would you compare the 1100 moses versus the XL Pro, please?

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Thu May 07, 2020 8:16 pm

If you watch gongs video, the guy actually pulls out that small kite wing and says " don't buy this, you don't want it, it's too small, too thin and eats up 50%of your low end".

The Rise( Classic) is for beginners who want easy step in or riders who want to just be relaxed and easy, the Curve ( m pro) for beginner to expert, the Veloce for intermediate to expert who wants speed and powerful committed carving but very little loss of low end. 4 sizes for Curve and Veloce.

This is easy to understand line up.

I wish they would make carbon fuselage and carbon mast in separate parts, and offer a 80-90-100 cm.
Because I think the mpro is really great wing, and would invest in carbon fuselage mast, it is so good. I'm anticipating the Veloce will be just as outstanding.

HALF
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 94
Gear: 15m FS Soul2, 12m Reedin Supermodel, 9m Cabrinha Radar, 9m Flysurfer Speed5, 14m Airush Ultra v2
Airush Switch 144, Naish Monarch 138, Naish Monarch 136, Airush Slayer v2

Postby HALF » Thu May 07, 2020 8:53 pm

Their Curve wings are marketed as Surf foils, not kite. The weight/sizing should also reflect the intended use, so if kiting should we look at a smaller size wing?

roggema
Rare Poster
Local Beach: belgium duinbergen, nieuwpoort
Favorite Beaches: el medano. others to come hopefully
Style: freeride
Gear: North dice, north jaime
Has thanked: 0

Postby roggema » Thu May 07, 2020 9:34 pm

the curve equals the pro M wing actually. it's just higher end finish with carbon fibre.
meaning the curve equals the freewave kite version but again higher end and different mast. I was confused aswell in beginning.

I've just purchased a curve with a 90cm mast actually. was just sent out :)
These users thanked the author roggema for the post:
HALF (Fri May 08, 2020 10:09 pm)

Dave K
Frequent Poster
Gear: 10 m Airush Ultra / 7M Switch Helium, 5M RRD Passion, 120cm Groove Skate. Duotone Slick SLS 6/5/4/3m, Cabrinha Code 5’0”/78l wing board, Gong Veloce V2 L, XL., XXL, Gong Fluid V2 L, pro Fluid 42cm/freestyle 44 stabilizers, Gong HM 85cm V2 carbon mast, 75cm Al mast. Foil Drive + and 40L slingshot prone foil board

Postby Dave K » Fri May 08, 2020 9:25 am

omg wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 6:28 am
Dave K wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 1:36 am
How would you compare the 1100 moses versus the XL Pro, please?
I’m still getting acclimated to the 1100 for wing foiling. I just don’t have enough time on it in lighter winds yet to form a strong opinion. It has great low end as you’d expect and it excels at pumping, but with a 110 cm span getting it to carve hard takes some getting used to. Part of the issue is that on the OBX (where I live), when it blows it blows hard (many gusty 15-30 days) and the 1100 is just too much foil on those days. The Moses 790 works much better on the strong wind days for winging, BUT.....I still like the Gong XL better than the 790 on those windy days, at least for my skill level right now. Here’s why,....

If I’m just cruising and jibing the 790 works great. Heck, almost anything works for jibing if you have the wind strength, since it’s easy to stay up on the foil with a downwind transition. Tacking is a whole different world for wing foiling. You bleed speed friggen fast trying to transition directly into a 25 knot headwind! With the smaller 790 (1550 sq cm) it’s just harder for me to stay up on the foil for the whole tack. The XL pro has enough high end to go into the tack with decent speed, and enough low end to keep me up on the foil coming out of the tack with much lower speed. And I can still get it to carve fairly tight when needed.

Maybe if I get better at this winging thing I’ll be able to tack 790 much better, and carve the 1100 much harder. But for now the lowly Gong XL pro is the easiest to work with for improving skills in our typical gusty strong conditions. Even did my first wing foil 360 on the XL pro (which I guess Patrice has decided to now call the XL “curve”). Here’s a quick clip showing Klutzy ole guy (me) tacking both sides with the XL pro on a pretty gusty day. I’m not going into it with a ton of speed but I manage to stay up on foil coming out. Sort of hoping something like a Veloce XL will add to my tacking speed :wink:

omg (Fri May 08, 2020 9:31 am)

Dave K
Frequent Poster

Postby Dave K » Fri May 08, 2020 10:16 am

While on the topic of Gong foils; I think the skinny Gong Aluminum masts (65 and 80 cm) work fine for the smaller foil sizes that are in kite foiling range. These Al masts are just too spongy for the larger foil sizes used for winging/SUP foiling. The Gong Carbon mast/fuselage combo’s are nice but pricy and have an odd size range (70 and 100 cm) for wing/SUP/surf foiling. I just modified my Gong surf fuselage to take a 19 mm (mega stiff) Axis mast. Now I can run my XL pro with a 68, 75, and 90 cm Axis mast. Not very light but no more wobbly stuff.

At some point I might see if Jim Stringfellow would be willing to make a fuselage adapting the Gong wings to the new Moses 82 and 72 surf masts. A Veloce wing set on a Moses 82 mast would be nice :D

One other quick note; my Moses 71 cm kite mast is fine with a 633, ok with 790, but too spongy with that monster 1100. Hence the new stiffer 82, 72 mast offerings.
omg (Fri May 08, 2020 2:58 pm)

faklord
Frequent Poster

Postby faklord » Fri May 08, 2020 1:57 pm

AndersP wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 5:49 pm

I'll run them all on the original kitefuselage with the original stab. The larger wings are modded to fit the fuselage.
Just out of interest, what is the mod? Often wondered what the difference between the two fuselages is?

Return to “Wingsurfing”